#3341 Aragorn

Aragorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hi HDB - Thanks for this.

I'll run a backtest tonight against some shares to see the potential results. As I mentioned in a previous post, I ran some backtests against variable CCI indicators and found that the most profitable items tended to be against a lower CCI rather than a higher CCI, some shares even advising using a 2 day measure. However, using a low CCI (between 2 and 8) resulted in too many entry signals being generated, and really messed with money management (you needed deep pockets to make the best of it). So, unless you have deep pockets and are prepared to risk more than a 15% movement against you in the price, a low CCI is not the way to go.

HDB - Checking some backtests and have a question - What if CCI crosses below 0 but close is above 34 SMA (day = t+0), then next day (t+1), CCI is still below 0 (and falling) and close is below 34 SMA, will this still be an entry signal for Short? Likewise, the opposite for Long?

Reason for asking is when you have gone long, but the trade does not pan out, you would exit the trade on the t+1 event, but would you go Short at the same time?

Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall.

#3342 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

well done minitrader..in future try posting your trade here for everyone to see.

on that note: limit order hit at close on 6micro 44950...65 points bagged

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#3343 warnerbroers

warnerbroers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

thanks HDB ... your system worked for me again....the only time i mess up is when i don't follow the system....

#3344 MiniTrader

MiniTrader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBetween mountains & the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

130 points for the afternoon.   Big thanks to HDB for sharing this system with all of us. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it

#3345 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Ok long and Mr Market Maker...you made me sweat the whole morning but today I was very stubborn. I refused to let go and throw in the towel. I hung on and on to you...and now with 2 hours to go to closing you decided to play ball!!

I did not follow the system when I went in...I stressed.....Now lesson learnt because I missed out on rest of signals expecially the shorts..

Why was I stubborn....Well Mr Market Maker, I know your game....You will at close bring the ALSI right back to where it started this morning... :)

Otherwise you will lose money tomorrow and you do not want that do u???

And Bingo...Did i not say that to you  you THUG!!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#3346 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

well done holding HDB..done the same from 44918(1st buy) and currently sitting ave 44885.  didn't stick to plan and preempted system on long signal, have had to grind out positions

morale of the story: follow your trading system, don't think of fundamental events that may/may not move market..trade the charts not your views

#3347 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Excellent job HDB, don't you think it's time you approach BDTV to have your own show and maybe replace Mr. Roffey???

Its too early for that Ninja....We at a trial and testing stage!!  Could be another flop who knows!!

But on other hand it could be the holy grail we all looking for!! :)

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#3348 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

Ok long and Mr Market Maker...you made me sweat the whole morning but today I was very stubborn. I refused to let go and throw in the towel. I hung on and on to you...and now with 2 hours to go to closing you decided to play ball!!

I did not follow the system when I went in...I stressed.....Now lesson learnt because I missed out on rest of signals expecially the shorts..

Why was I stubborn....Well Mr Market Maker, I know your game....You will at close bring the ALSI right back to where it started this morning... :)

Otherwise you will lose money tomorrow and you do not want that do u???

HDB

#3349 Ninja

Ninja

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Excellent job HDB, don't you think it's time you approach BDTV to have your own show and maybe replace Mr. Roffey???

#3350 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'll run a backtest tonight against some shares to see the potential results. As I mentioned in a previous post, I ran some backtests against variable CCI indicators and found that the most profitable items tended to be against a lower CCI rather than a higher CCI, some shares even advising using a 2 day measure. However, using a low CCI (between 2 and 8) resulted in too many entry signals being generated, and really messed with money management (you needed deep pockets to make the best of it). So, unless you have deep pockets and are prepared to risk more than a 15% movement against you in the price, a low CCI is not the way to go.

Thanks Mhlato and Aragorn!!

Will really appreciate the back tests!!

HDB

#3351 Aragorn

Aragorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMiddle Earth

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hi Bev....I am just playing around with the cfr and cml charts and my initial conclusion is as follows :

1. Use the daily chart for signals

2. Use 25 CCI

3. Use the 34 day ema and 204 sma

Once again 204sma is purely for the long term trend.

34ema is vital for entries here..

Here is my system if trend is up:

Go long only when :

1. zero lines cut above zero

2.  Candle bar closes above 34ema

Both these conditions must be met

Since this is a trading the trend signal, hold on to longs till your vault gets filled and maybe another series of vaults.

Go short when :

1. zero lines cuts below 0

2. Candle bar closes below 34ema

Once again both conditions to be met.

Seeing long term trend is up ( 204sma rising) this is a counter trend trade so expect to exit quickly.

Also all please note: This is a cfd share  trade so makes no difference if you using IG or any other charting software. Market hours for shre trading on JSE,unlike trading the alsi,  is the same for all charts ie 9 to 5

Ok need feedback here...Bev what do you think?

Charts attached for CfR and CML

Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall.

#3352 Mhlato

Mhlato

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationNTvl

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

HDB, i will reduce those %'s to what you suggested tonight and let you know...little busy atm

Attached Files

• Attached File  EXX.png   52.11KB   5 downloads

"Don't try to buy at the bottom and sell at the top. It can't be done, except by liars." - Bernard Baruch

#3353 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

OK I'll bite, the momentum indicator seems to crossover with the CCI... I wonder if they have a similar calculation...

no this refers to the cfd daily charts I posted!! No momentum indicator there!!

HDB

#3354 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

Ok class lets see who is a bright spark here and who actually studied the cfd charts i posted here...  

What is glaring as the common factor on all the charts i posted for CGR, CML, KIO and NPN??????

I didnt notice it when i posted them but on looking  now at each chart i found something very interesting,,,,,,

OK I'll bite, the momentum indicator seems to crossover with the CCI... I wonder if they have a similar calculation...

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#3355 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

For CFD shares zero line cross is important but i still think the 34 day ema cross is even more important!!

Ok class lets see who is a bright spark here and who actually studied the cfd charts i posted here...  

What is glaring as the common factor on all the charts i posted for CGR, CML, KIO and NPN??????

I didnt notice it when i posted them but on looking  now at each chart i found something very interesting,,,,,,

Guys im still waiting for an answer to this?

Are your guys listening and want to learn or am I talking to myself????

Im just disappointed that no one could follow where im going...

HDB

#3356 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

HDB

I am struggling with this ProRealTime topic. Do we have to disable or activate it? Mine is currently disabled and I do get the right signals.

Hi,

It's already been said, but no you dont *need* prorealtime charts, I just prefer them a lot more, and they have the ability to do automated backtesting.

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#3357 Qbre77

Qbre77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:42 AM

wat a painful day!!!!

#3358 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

no prob MX :) ..not a great trading day flat action/thin rewards unless catching tops/bottoms early.  will be closing trade in the black and taking rest of day off if this persists

Yes, very irritating. Have not made a single point so far. Will rather use the time and study more charts and ignore the Alsi rest of the day.

#3359 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

no prob MX :) ..not a great trading day flat action/thin rewards unless catching tops/bottoms early.  will be closing trade in the black and taking rest of day off if this persists

#3360 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

gonna help out HDB..you dont need pro charts signals work fine on standard 24hrs charting

Thanks Delta, I have sprained my brain for the last hour to try and figure out if it will make a difference, or not.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting