#15481 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Agree!

the way SAVI is ticking up, whipsaws galore in our near future. how to deal with this?

dunno, BUTT, smaller position size and strict adherence to both system rules and stop losses is what i do. in the end, price is king, the gurus not so much?

best now...

pst:- hope IS a trading strategy  :P

The coolest guy  the forum.... :)

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#15482 RusQ

RusQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hmm...

Works well enough in a bull market. Bear markets are a different story. If you start buying the dips when the bear bites, then you will soon be wiped. Even (and especially) when you have stops.

We are in a (relatively) mature bull market. It may continue for another year or so, but eventually the bear will arrive. And then BTFD will be a story of despair.

Make sure that your strategy can survive a bear market! Backtest and include 2008 in your calculations!

You have been warned. 

K

Hmm...

Works well enough in a bull market. Bear markets are a different story. If you start buying the dips when the bear bites, then you will soon be wiped. Even (and especially) when you have stops.

We are in a (relatively) mature bull market. It may continue for another year or so, but eventually the bear will arrive. And then BTFD will be a story of despair.

Make sure that your strategy can survive a bear market! Backtest and include 2008 in your calculations!

You have been warned. 

K

Agree!

the way SAVI is ticking up, whipsaws galore in our near future. how to deal with this?

dunno, BUTT, smaller position size and strict adherence to both system rules and stop losses is what i do. in the end, price is king, the gurus not so much?

best now...

pst:- hope IS a trading strategy  :P

Life is for living...

#15483 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hmm...

You have been warned. 

K

You've got a point there.

Happy days, brother.

Edited by Roundtree, 19 August 2014 - 07:09 PM.

Happy trading!

#15484 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

The end of perhaps the most soul destroying trading day I've had.

Still bloody red, but believe me, I've had much, much worse than this. The sun will shine again tomorrow............ 

#15485 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Do you remember this, Plasma? The market's up 12000 points since then. That's R120,000 per contract. Now the question is (and I'm not being cheeky): Have you made R120,000 per contract? 

Sunesis used to preach buying the dip. And he was right. The reason we lose money is because we rely on indicators and refuse to employ a simple trading system: BTFD. Forget about Yellen, Ukraine, nonfarm payrolls and all that jazz. Just BTFD and hang on to it until it hits resistance, then sell. Wait for another dip, BTFD, hang on to it until resistance, then sell. Rinse and repeat. Note that I haven't mentioned anything about a stop loss. Or a trend. Or letting your profits run. Support and resistance, brother. That's all. Just BTFD. Don't get fancy and start short-selling, this market will clean you out. Just buy the dip.

That trade you took at 46214 has resistance at 46280. Sell there, and wait for another dip, which today is 46035 (SEP 14 ALSI).

The market will always present you with better trading opportunities. You don't have to get married to a trade. 

Happy trading, brother. 

Hmm...

You have been warned. 

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#15486 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Naughty greedy badboy wants all gaps. Declines the easy route and takes to abseiling from deceptive heights.

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#15487 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Do you remember this, Plasma? The market's up 12000 points since then. That's R120,000 per contract. Now the question is (and I'm not being cheeky): Have you made R120,000 per contract? 

Sunesis used to preach buying the dip. And he was right. The reason we lose money is because we rely on indicators and refuse to employ a simple trading system: BTFD. Forget about Yellen, Ukraine, nonfarm payrolls and all that jazz. Just BTFD and hang on to it until it hits resistance, then sell. Wait for another dip, BTFD, hang on to it until resistance, then sell. Rinse and repeat. Note that I haven't mentioned anything about a stop loss. Or a trend. Or letting your profits run. Support and resistance, brother. That's all. Just BTFD. Don't get fancy and start short-selling, this market will clean you out. Just buy the dip.

That trade you took at 46214 has resistance at 46280. Sell there, and wait for another dip, which today is 46035 (SEP 14 ALSI).

The market will always present you with better trading opportunities. You don't have to get married to a trade. 

Happy trading, brother. 

you are so right, but most of us are scared!!

my storie - opened 5 contracts mid Dec13 @ 39500 and closed in early Jan. thought i was a star, but actually I was the worlds biggest poepol!!! if i kept them then yes you can do the maths :( 

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#15488 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Order: 6 long @ 46248 

It doesn't look like they will close those long positions today. But professionals never sell at a loss, they just might surprise us with a gap up tomorrow. Or a gap down. Regardless, all the gaps shall be closed. :P

And so I hold.

Happy trading!

#15489 strydomk

strydomk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

The end of perhaps the most soul destroying trading day I've had.

#15490 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Long again @ 34 518 and .....

This morning when I woke up I wondered whether there will be another occurrence this week that will result in profits disappearing due to a something counter trend happening. Placed a buy order before going into a meeting at 0800. During a break later, saw that order was not filled and placed an order. Suffice to say that 400 pips disappeared together with its fin value from my account. Happy chappy.....not me...<br /><br />Went long now now on retest of BB lower on 5 min chart....at 45214.

Happy trading, brother. 

Happy trading!

#15491 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

My indicators look good and promising on 5, 15 and 30 mins hopefully tomorrow will be in the green again

#15492 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

FTSE has bounced off this level 3 times, will have to see if it breaks through or falls back, if it falls it takes us with it.

Attached Files

#15493 Guest_Bandido_*

Guest_Bandido_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Holly Molly. The last one to leave PLease turn off  all PC and the lights

#15494 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

The bulls are starting to lose this battle...

Looking at this pattern IMO going to see a good break up for new highs and then slowly grinding higher into futures close-out September....this is consolidation in my view!

First target 1.618 of minor 1 gives us 47500ish..then to 49000 for minor 3!Let's see....

I'm sitting tight with my longs!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#15495 Guest_Bandido_*

Guest_Bandido_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Gentleman 

I Think  The Yanks  have arrived :lol: to save us all . 14ema above  the 30ema.  Macd confirms

#15496 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Where is RBM today? 

#15497 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

46280 is where I'm jumping off, brothers. That's if we get there this afternoon. If we don't, I'll hold to close tomorrow.

Happy trading.

Happy trading!

#15498 Ettas

Ettas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

I am lying on the shrink's couch .....have been diagnosed with STCS. Sitting tight confusion syndrome. This syndrome induces intense psychological dissonance (IPD) in times where the market, our market, is running in a different direction than others, where a position has turned nicely green, but because of the STCS, the profit is not taken, resulting in a worse scenario a bit later, thus feeding the STCS and adding to the IPD. That is all.

:D  :D  :D  :D  man youve made a difficult day a bit better with that!!

#15499 Dallas

Dallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

46000 should provide us with strong support! Otherwise 45800 and 45500 to the rescue!!! Either way we will see 47000 again just don't over expose and you should be fine. 

#15500 Guest_Bandido_*

Guest_Bandido_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Well let's all bow our heads, the US is opening soon.

<_< <_<  Maybe they will buy our losers 

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting