• Please log in to reply
35854 replies to this topic

#27961 joker

joker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:24 PM

Have you read Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas?

No I haven't. Something about the psychology of investing? 

I should probably be more positive. I started trading 3 weeks ago, and in one day I've lost just about everything I made. I'm starting to understand the idea of risk/reward ratios now.

As a side note, how does one set a stop loss to spare themselves from the damage of an opening drop gap like today. Is it possible?

#27962 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Depends on your strategy, if you are willing to hold until next friday to catch the whole ride down keep your shorts, with friday afternoon you sometimes have short cover and with Monday being US holiday we normally go up...so I would lock in those profits and have a nice weekend away! B)

She tends to return to the broken 60min chart 89 MA that is about 250 points up so she should bounce (B leg up) next week before the last leg © down..but she can always continue south too, your choice!

A

Difficult to believe TOP40 almost dropped a 1000 points since the top yesterday...but November living up to it's volatile reputation!

Should see that friday short cover and bounce into Monday as she dropped hard before we go down again!

Seasonal trend my nr 1 indicator! ^_^

A

Edited by Argento, 08 November 2013 - 04:20 PM.

"Never never never give up!"

#27963 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yes to the former :-)
With the US fall yesterday, ( which wiped out at least a week of good gains on the SPX), there must be quite a few previously complacent longs feeling the heat and a further push south will only serve to cause the less resilient to begin folding.
That gap on the SPX will act like a magnet too.....
( thinks he hopefully).
Good luck with those shorts.

Well at this stage it appears my take was completely wrong.
Waiting for the US open before making a decision on cutting my new shorts.

Trading by emotion and/or expectation is a pocket emptying certainty.

#27964 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

:( :(

The day that broke me. Game over.

Have you read Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas?

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#27965 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hope you're wrong about this one. I have 4 longs riding into the night.

:( :(

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#27966 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

October Nonfarm payroll employment rises to 204,000 vs.163,000 in September; Unemployment Rate at 7.3%

so...

That means its good for the US?

Which means tapering is more likely to happen sooner rather than later.

Which means cheap money is more likely to dry up.

So the market will get pushed down?

Edited by gringots, 08 November 2013 - 03:43 PM.

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#27967 OceanWalz

OceanWalz

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

October Nonfarm payroll employment rises to 204,000 vs.163,000 in September; Unemployment Rate at 7.3%

#27968 joker

joker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hope you're wrong about this one. I have 4 longs riding into the night.

#27969 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks S

A

Thanks a mil  A. Think I'm going to stagger the stops on my position; some with trailing stops.

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#27970 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

(Argento), what do you reckon is a good SL (for my shorts); I'm off to the West Coast for the weekend  :wub: My arget's 40100, but think I should cut my losses, should the market turn before then?

Depends on your strategy, if you are willing to hold until next friday to catch the whole ride down keep your shorts, with friday afternoon you sometimes have short cover and with Monday being US holiday we normally go up...so I would lock in those profits and have a nice weekend away! B)

She tends to return to the broken 60min chart 89 MA that is about 250 points up so she should bounce (B leg up) next week before the last leg © down..but she can always continue south too, your choice!

A

#27971 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

Well called Argento, wish I'd stayed in longer.

Thanks S

A

#27972 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

(Argento), what do you reckon is a good SL (for my shorts); I'm off to the West Coast for the weekend  :wub: My arget's 40100, but think I should cut my losses, should the market turn before then?

#27973 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

She is about to make a 30min bearish cross and there is no sign of the US turning up, so I am staying in!

The uptrend line has been broken (can't post chart) so my PF target remains 40350ish (futures), but she should zig zag down so in S words...PUMP AND DUMP! :)

Trend is down for now...

A

Well called Argento, wish I'd stayed in longer.

#27974 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well, two disastrous trades this morning. First one stopped out. Then the revenge...which did nearly turn green, but I waited toooooo long and when I looked again, also stopped out and the whole week's profit gone. Another long that could have given back half of that, but I missed the top and only took a few points. And now sitting with another one....trust that we have had the low of the day. Did not listen to what I wrote last night.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#27975 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

So, a good nr will be good for my shorts over the weekend; and a bad nr, anybody's guess?

Yes to the former :-)
With the US fall yesterday, ( which wiped out at least a week of good gains on the SPX), there must be quite a few previously complacent longs feeling the heat and a further push south will only serve to cause the less resilient to begin folding.
That gap on the SPX will act like a magnet too.....
( thinks he hopefully).
Good luck with those shorts.

#27976 snoop

snoop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Bulls beware - falling knife.... no need to guess bottom - wait for proper reversal of short term trend

Yes we have been buying the dip but those dips were small - and trend was up.

#27977 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi BBW
Yes, my understanding is that the FED was always going to taper. Before yesterday's GDP announcement the general feeling was that tapering wouldn't commence before March 2014, but now as a consequence of the good data will be fast tracked ( but still only next year). My thinking here is that bad employment data ( subjective) will again serve to throw water on the fire and introduce some doubt into the timing of the tapering decision.

So, a good nr will be good for my shorts over the weekend; and a bad nr, anybody's guess?

#27978 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thanks A. Think I'll stay with my original plan and hang tight. Hesitant though to take some extra positions, in order to make my points target a little less.
Not so sure I agree with Sam completely, as it seems to me that the FED has made their mind up to taper, and a little bad data is not going to stop them?

Hi BBW
Yes, my understanding is that the FED was always going to taper. Before yesterday's GDP announcement the general feeling was that tapering wouldn't commence before March 2014, but now as a consequence of the good data will be fast tracked ( but still only next year). My thinking here is that bad employment data ( subjective) will again serve to throw water on the fire and introduce some doubt into the timing of the tapering decision.

#27979 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks A. Think I'll stay with my original plan and hang tight. Hesitant though to take some extra positions, in order to make my points target a little less.

Not so sure I agree with Sam completely, as it seems to me that the FED has made their mind up to taper, and a little bad data is not going to stop them?

I won't go long now...should be an A,B,C correction down with a B leg commencing probably Monday with the US being closed but going to sit tight, next week is OPEX and markets should stay down into friday!

But then good opportunity to go long for the year end rally, taper will not come into play soon me thinks...definitely not before Bernanke steps down and more not within the first term of the new chairlady.

Cycles will take over next year with a good bear leg down, and that might be causing some of the red already (top formation)..but US might just correct more than we think if I look at the charts! :ph34r:

A

#27980 Mad Max

Mad Max

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Should never trade our market based on the US futures...can change in a jiffy!

A

I have to agree with you A. Got burnt more than once based on their stupid green futures- yesterday was classic. I think trading the TOP40 long after 3 pm is a bad idea. I thin SAM mentioned this in an earlier post.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting