• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hold on to your shorts boys!!

U aint seen nothing yet!!

make sure u have your seatbelts on!!

and no time for peanuts!!!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#32282 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

No no, no peanuts the last... two, two and a half weeks, me thinks.

:)

....because you have been eating and flicking too many peanuts!!!!!!!! ;)

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#32283 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

You lost me after "Since Sunday..." :P

....because you have been eating and flicking too many peanuts!!!!!!!! ;)

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#32284 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thank you Mhlato.

Yup, the below is a natural by-product of using "longer term" charts - can be very susceptible wrt volatile swings. This is where I am faltering atm and need to sharpen my trading skills.

In more stable market-periods, I trade the upper or lower-band reaches.

Lekkerry, something else i have picked up regarding BB's (while trying to trade shorter terms) was that when you have the median for the hourly bar (h+l)/2 above the BBU and it turns red, it often signals the begining of a downward move. The same when the open is > the BBU. 

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#32285 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

US trade deficit widened more than expected... 

Need a million ASAP

#32286 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

the JOB numbers also GOOD

Virtually in line. 343K vs 345K expected... And we are flying....

Need a million ASAP

#32287 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

But this spike up is nearly always dodgy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup like I said. Hand sitting until at least 15h50 being an intra day man. However, Marketwatch just tweeted the futures pair their losses! Make up your mind! Jeez - they have 742K followers....

Need a million ASAP

#32288 matebele

matebele

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

Agreed. Just after Marketwatch tweeted about US futures maintaining their losses everybody shot up.... hmmmmm

the JOB numbers also GOOD

WILL I EVER BE A BILLIONAIRE?

#32289 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I certainly wouldn't know what to make of it!!! Anyways the jostling has begun so strap up..It is gonna be a volatile ride for the next hour!

Agreed. Just after Marketwatch tweeted about US futures maintaining their losses everybody shot up.... hmmmmm

Need a million ASAP

#32290 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Figures good for non-farm ADP. Jobless at 14h30...

@ chubby:

Not even technology - a simple text message or bbm from someone on the inside for $5000 a week? A good investment for the trader I have to say. But the market reaction you cannot predict in these times so the info before hand is actually useless come to think of it....

Need a million ASAP

#32291 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

You lost me after "Since Sunday..."

:P

I thought you were a 15 min man.... :)

Since Sunday I started experimenting with a combination of a 2, 5 and 10 EMA, mainly on 5 min chart, up to 30 min chart. If in a position, the. sell if 2 min cross 5 min, and prepare for buy if 2 min cross 10 min. This in conjunction with context provided by BB, stochastic and RSI, as well as US futures and FTSE.

Has helped me to reduce impulsive trading, but SL facility to be added for me to really test it. Since it is lagging indicators, and it being on a short time scale, the uncertainty when it is forming is increased. Easy to see afterwards. Will play around with the 20 MA and 20 EMA as well. Argento always refers to the, I think, 20 EMA crossing the 89 MA.

#32292 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Not an answer to today, but a perspective on Friday ...courtesy of Thomas H. Kee Jr the president and CEO of Stock Traders Daily (dotcom)

With almost all of their attention on FOMC stimulus, the labor report being issued at the end of the week would almost need to be exactly in line with expectations in order to prevent market-based deterioration.

Anything too hot would influence selling pressure because that would suggest a reduction in stimulus. Anything too cold would suggest that the economy is not keeping pace even with all of the stimulus that already exists, so the number at the end of the week needs to be just right.

Scary that... I still think someone, trading big funds, must know before the announcement what it will be - hence the movement in Europe and US futures should indicate something. However, till then, the rest of us - sitting on our hands.... Until at least 15h35 - to see US actual reaction when the shares get moved by the big funds.... Maybe even 16h00....

Need a million ASAP

#32293 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Glad I cleared that binary before the 12h00 cut off with a small profit. Phew.Agreed A, I think we will drift lower from here until the big announcement at 14h30. This is the one figure Bernanke said will drive the Fed decisions regarding QE and tapering. Hence, good figures = drop and bad figures = rise? Concur?

Not an answer to today, but a perspective on Friday ...courtesy of Thomas H. Kee Jr the president and CEO of Stock Traders Daily (dotcom)

With almost all of their attention on FOMC stimulus, the labor report being issued at the end of the week would almost need to be exactly in line with expectations in order to prevent market-based deterioration.

Anything too hot would influence selling pressure because that would suggest a reduction in stimulus. Anything too cold would suggest that the economy is not keeping pace even with all of the stimulus that already exists, so the number at the end of the week needs to be just right.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#32294 Mhlato

Mhlato

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationNTvl

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Lekkerry, something else i have picked up regarding BB's (while trying to trade shorter terms) was that when you have the median for the hourly bar (h+l)/2 above the BBU and it turns red, it often signals the begining of a downward move. The same when the open is > the BBU. Recent examples: 9 & 10 am on 28/6 and 15:00 & 16:00 on 1/7.

NB: I use  1.8 and  -1.8  STDDEV instead of the standard 2.0 and -2.0 because the Alsi (in my view) is not nearly as volatile as individial stock's like AGL etc.

"Don't try to buy at the bottom and sell at the top. It can't be done, except by liars." - Bernard Baruch

#32295 CJV002

CJV002

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWestern Cape

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

What standard deviation do you use for the BBM? 

20 EMA (exponentiol moving average)  not sma and Bollinger Band Middle

#32296 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

I concur to Mhlato's use of BBands. One word of advise, remember, there can be many point-fluctuations in the hour candles. Ensure you have sufficient margin to ride the waves to your target. Recently (the past month - with all this QE talk)), trading the 5m in conjunction with the 1m just did not work out, due to too many breaches (or false positives) recorded. Currently, the 15m is also starting to suffer the same. I am definitely going to look into upping the scale into the 1h views then

I thought you were a 15 min man....:)

Since Sunday I started experimenting with a combination of a 2, 5 and 10 EMA, mainly on 5 min chart, up to 30 min chart. If in a position, the. sell if 2 min cross 5 min, and prepare for buy if 2 min cross 10 min. This in conjunction with context provided by BB, stochastic and RSI, as well as US futures and FTSE.

Has helped me to reduce impulsive trading, but SL facility to be added for me to really test it. Since it is lagging indicators, and it being on a short time scale, the uncertainty when it is forming is increased. Easy to see afterwards. Will play around with the 20 MA and 20 EMA as well. Argento always refers to the, I think, 20 EMA crossing the 89 MA.

#32297 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

Took a buy of FTSE to stay above 6200 and hence the ALSI will follow up. Was bit nervous earlier but it appears that V is actually forming. More like a bucket tho....

Glad I cleared that binary before the 12h00 cut off with a small profit. Phew.

Agreed A, I think we will drift lower from here until the big announcement at 14h30. This is the one figure Bernanke said will drive the Fed decisions regarding QE and tapering. Hence, good figures = drop and bad figures = rise? Concur?

Need a million ASAP

#32298 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

Short @ 34685, charts confirming more downside to come!

Might get a really good long entry later this week/early next with a new low!

A

Ok, we are about to get a bearish cross (21 over 89) on the 30min chart, thus much more red coming..

July is still a bullish month so after this final washout (into next week?)we should see good gains!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#32299 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

I concur to Mhlato's use of BBands. One word of advise, remember, there can be many point-fluctuations in the hour candles. Ensure you have sufficient margin to ride the waves to your target.

Recently (the past month - with all this QE talk)), trading the 5m in conjunction with the 1m just did not work out, due to too many breaches (or false positives) recorded. Currently, the 15m is also starting to suffer the same. I am definitely going to look into upping the scale into the 1h views then

#32300 JBlack

JBlack

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Took a buy of FTSE to stay above 6200 and hence the ALSI will follow up. Was bit nervous earlier but it appears that V is actually forming. More like a bucket tho....

Need a million ASAP

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting