35854 replies to this topic

#24281 Rietgat

Rietgat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEastern Cape

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

You shouldn't go long or short based on what the forum or other guys say, very important to have your strategy and make decisions based on your trading analysis, if you're not there yet then you should papertrade!

A

I agree totally, but not all of us on the forum is experts on tech analysis, charts or stock market guru's. I for instance is a run of the mill trader that supports Richard Branson's credo of "surrounding yourself with people that are more knowledgeable than you are"!

I pay good money for stock market analysis that generally gives me excellent returns, but it is just that much better to  test your research (and your own gut feeling) against the opinions and posts on this forum.

#24282 jasonbasel

jasonbasel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

H&S seems to be forming on T40 5min? We're on the second shoulder:)

#24283 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Thanks A, i don't just follow what people say on this forum but it is interesting to note what other people see on the charts and to get info that hasn't reached me yet. The other day i was looking at the charts but didn't see a reverse H & S that was forming that AJS posted.

Cool, can get hurt if you do that, just checking! ;)

Wave B up normally retrace 50% of Wave A down so we are looking at a target of around 41500ish (futures) later this afternoon...then Wave C down should commence for new lows from tomorrow!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#24284 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Any suggestions on whether to go short or long?

You shouldn't go long or short based on what the forum or other guys say, very important to have your strategy and make decisions based on your trading analysis, if you're not there yet then you should papertrade!

A

Thanks A, i don't just follow what people say on this forum but it is interesting to note what other people see on the charts and to get info that hasn't reached me yet. The other day i was looking at the charts but didn't see a reverse H & S that was forming that AJS posted.

#24285 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

You shouldn't go long or short based on what the forum or other guys say, very important to have your strategy and make decisions based on your trading analysis, if you're not there yet then you should papertrade!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#24286 Rietgat

Rietgat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEastern Cape

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

+1

My research/info says short term up ,but generally more downside to come?

#24287 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

#24288 Rietgat

Rietgat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEastern Cape

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Good luck all!

Resistance still @ 41300? 

#24289 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Good luck with the trading week everyone, hope it is a good one!

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#24290 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

A take on the dallies...if one views the Friday candle as a bullish reversal bar, then trading the last two bars will lead to an long entry at 41 120 ish  and a SL at 40 454 ish.

This will correspond to A's Friday comments, but A's short army on Tuesday implies we are looking at a bear flag type situation.....the size of Friday's candle however makes me wonder... together with the fact that it seems to be a bounce of the BB MA ....my 1/2 cent

Or maybe this is wave B as A eluded to.... Lets see what the week brings! Dailies still looking bearish.

*edit* notice the similarity to what transpired during November.  

Attached Files

Edited by AJS, 12 January 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#24291 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

A quick recon i do everyday in morning before opening :

Ps note: All IG cash for Alsi and Ftse and also using bid prices

Alsi IG close at 5pm  Friday  40950

Alsi IG futures at  6.30pm  when FTSE closes 40930

Ftse IG at 5pm Sa Time when our market closes  6745

Ftse IG at 6.30pm SA time when FTSE closed    6740

Rand/pound exchange rate at 5pm  R17.6512

Rand/pound exchange rate at 6.30pm R17.5903

Alsi IG as of now 41027

Ftse as of now  6760

Rand /pound as of now  R17.544

My calculation of what Alsi should be :

6760-6740 / 6740  times 40930   =  122 points  so Alsi should be up to 40930 + 122  =  41052

However rand went from 17.5903 to 17.544

Therefore Alsi should fall by   17.5903 -17.544  /  17.544  = .0027  times 58% 41052 =   62 points  

My calculation of current Alsi =  41052 less 62  = 40990    Current is   41027

So 37 points difference is negligible.

However i will do all these calculation again at 8am tomorrow morning as futures and pound rate changes

S is right when he say easier to trade Dow.. There are very few uncertainties to condsider when trading the Dow..

However when trading the Alsi there are  100 and one things to consider. Thats why its called the beast and at some times one thinks that it is doing its own thing but that is not correct.

Factors to consider first thing in morning before market opens to see which way we will be going :

1. Performance of Ftse futures which is nevetheless influenced by the American markets

2. The pound exchange rate - about 58% of our market is listed in the Ftse

3. As we are resource driven, the dollar exchange rate and price of resources. About 8% of our Top 40 is effected here.

4. The performance of 10cent in Hong Kong as this effects Naspers which makes up about 7% of our TOP 40

5. Performance of Sasol in New York night before as Sasol makes up about 6% of our TOP 40.

6. The Swiss franc/ rand exchange rate as this effects CFR which makes up about 10% of the Index.

7. See what is happening to BHP in Australia as this makes up about 13% of the Index. Ps this 13% is already included in the 58% listed in FTE.

8. Check Australia, Shangai, Hong Kong and Japanese markets to see how they are doing as this may lead to some direction in our market!

9. Watch the economic calender for the day to see if any major news may effect markets.

10. Check any good or bad news on other Bric nations which may effect our market or cause sell off.

10. Last but not least check local news headlines to see if Govt or Malema has not messed up again by making some radical statements in the press which may effect our market only. Also  if any strikes planned. 

So if FTSE and Dow are flying does not mean we will also be flying. If rand strengthens against the pound and dollar and resource prices weaken, we could have a red day while rest of world is flying

Ps : I may be slightly wrong with my calculations of the TOP40 % constituents above so if anyone can correct it please do!!!

WoW, thanks a lot, this is useful!

#24292 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

Alsi IG close at 5pm Friday 40950
Alsi IG futures at 6.30pm when FTSE closes 40930

Ftse IG at 5pm Sa Time when our market closes 6745
Ftse IG at 6.30pm SA time when FTSE closed 6740

Rand/pound exchange rate at 5pm R17.6512

Alsi IG as of now 41027
Ftse as of now 6760
Rand /pound as of now R17.544

6760-6740 / 6740 times 40930 = 122 points so Alsi should be up to 40930 + 122 = 41052

Therefore Alsi should fall by 17.5903 -17.544 / 17.544 = .0027 times 58% 41052 = 62 points

My calculation of current Alsi = 41052 less 62 = 40990 Current is 41027

However i will do all these calculation again at 8am tomorrow morning as futures and pound rate changes

S is right when he say easier to trade Dow.. There are very few uncertainties to condsider when trading the Dow..

However when trading the Alsi there are 100 and one things to consider. Thats why its called the beast and at some times one thinks that it is doing its own thing but that is not correct.

Factors to consider first thing in morning before market opens to see which way we will be going :
1. Performance of Ftse futures which is nevetheless influenced by the American markets
3. As we are resource driven, the dollar exchange rate and price of resources. About 8% of our Top 40 is effected here.
4. The performance of 10cent in Hong Kong as this effects Naspers which makes up about 7% of our TOP 40
5. Performance of Sasol in New York night before as Sasol makes up about 6% of our TOP 40.
6. The Swiss franc/ rand exchange rate as this effects CFR which makes up about 10% of the Index.
7. See what is happening to BHP in Australia as this makes up about 13% of the Index. Ps this 13% is already included in the 58% listed in FTE.
8. Check Australia, Shangai, Hong Kong and Japanese markets to see how they are doing as this may lead to some direction in our market!
9. Watch the economic calender for the day to see if any major news may effect markets.
10. Check any good or bad news on other Bric nations which may effect our market or cause sell off.
10. Last but not least check local news headlines to see if Govt or Malema has not messed up again by making some radical statements in the press which may effect our market only. Also if any strikes planned.

So if FTSE and Dow are flying does not mean we will also be flying. If rand strengthens against the pound and dollar and resource prices weaken, we could have a red day while rest of world is flying

Ps : I may be slightly wrong with my calculations of the TOP40 % constituents above so if anyone can correct it please do!!!

That is some valuable info there, thanks HDB

#24293 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

Alsi IG close at 5pm  Friday  40950

Alsi IG futures at  6.30pm  when FTSE closes 40930

Ftse IG at 5pm Sa Time when our market closes  6745

Ftse IG at 6.30pm SA time when FTSE closed    6740

Rand/pound exchange rate at 5pm  R17.6512

Alsi IG as of now 41027

Ftse as of now  6760

Rand /pound as of now  R17.544

6760-6740 / 6740  times 40930   =  122 points  so Alsi should be up to 40930 + 122  =  41052

Therefore Alsi should fall by   17.5903 -17.544  /  17.544  = .0027  times 58% 41052 =   62 points  

My calculation of current Alsi =  41052 less 62  = 40990    Current is   41027

However when trading the Alsi there are  100 and one things to consider. Thats why its called the beast and at some times one thinks that it is doing its own thing but that is not correct.

10. Last but not least check local news headlines to see if Govt or Malema has not messed up again by making some radical statements in the press which may effect our market only. Also  if any strikes planned. 

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#24294 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

A take on the dallies...if one views the Friday candle as a bullish reversal bar, then trading the last two bars will lead to an long entry at 41 120 ish  and a SL at 40 454 ish.

This will correspond to A's Friday comments, but A's short army on Tuesday implies we are looking at a bear flag type situation.....the size of Friday's candle however makes me wonder... together with the fact that it seems to be a bounce of the BB MA ....my 1/2 cent

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#24295 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

IG after hours tracking.

Interesting post by HDB last night about the pound variable. In terms of my casual observation I thought that the IG algorithms took notice of the S&P movements. Sometime ago, somebody posted a comprehensive view of whom IG tracks after hours. I wonder if they have more than one set of Algorithms .....and if so, whether they select one on the basis of potential profit for the night....

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#24296 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

Cant stop a train with a brick wall

Dax back at highs of the day. Dow coming through nicely.

S&P should close above 1840.

Closed for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Go Bulle :P  :P :P  :P  :P  :P

Well done S!  Good stuff!

#24297 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

Really hope this inverted H&S doesn't take us up all the way :(

That's not pretty good for my short that i entered for the weekend at 41,024. I set a limit at 40,900 i hope we dip when we open on Monday

#24298 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

Really hope this inverted H&S doesn't take us up all the way :(

Attached Files

#24299 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

I'm buying Dax and Dow

Cant stop a train with a brick wall

Dax back at highs of the day. Dow coming through nicely.

S&P should close above 1840.

Closed for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Go Bulle :P  :P :P  :P  :P  :P

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#24300 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Ig does not track the Dow...Ig tracks the FTSE adjusted for the British Pound exchange rate!! Most times if exchange rate is same, if FTSE goes up one point, we go up 6!! I have closely monitored this and have come to this conclusion. Therefore today although Dow is down, the FTSE futures are up 17 points on IG and hence we also up!! Therefore i agree with Lekkery!!

I have been playing the Alsi last 2 months and one thing i noticed...Forget the rand/dollar exchange rate. Always have the Pound/Rand exchange rate chart open in front of you before you make any trades!!This is the main driver for the Alsi!!A one cent increase in the pound exhange rate sees about 23 points adjusted to the Alsi!!

Hope this helps!

Ig does not track the Dow...Ig tracks the FTSE adjusted for the British Pound exchange rate!! Most times if exchange rate is same, if FTSE goes up one point, we go up 6!! I have closely monitored this and have come to this conclusion. Therefore today although Dow is down, the FTSE futures are up 17 points on IG and hence we also up!! Therefore i agree with Lekkery!!

I have been playing the Alsi last 2 months and one thing i noticed...Forget the rand/dollar exchange rate. Always have the Pound/Rand exchange rate chart open in front of you before you make any trades!!This is the main driver for the Alsi!!A one cent increase in the pound exhange rate sees about 23 points adjusted to the Alsi!!

Hope this helps!

Wow, okay, never realized that! Thanks a lot ! :)

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting