• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:10 PM

I wasn't disappointed with the update I just felt it contained a lot of commentary as to what happened & smelt of well it wasn't our fault bla bla but as you can see 2nd half was much better. .but 1st half was shocking & yes it was your fault. You lost market share because of it. Same store growth wasn't there...growth is coming from new stores & another 80 or so to come next year. Eventually you saturate the market then operational costs eat into bottom line. Capitalist growth for growth sake...In most metropolitan areas you can in 5mins choose between 3-4 outlets..

Their push into Africa I can't get behind far too risky & how many home grown execs want to be seconded into Nigeria/Zambia(who've just confiscated a copper mine from Anglo's largest shareholder) or Angola...? Tiger Brands couldn't get their guys/gals to go sort out their Nigerian Dangote disaster.

The Christo Weise share saga still outstanding.

I agree New John with the corner superette idea.

I'm not against Shoprite I believe they're a fantastic company Maybe I just miss Whitey Basson's hand on the tiller, I doubt the new IT system bomb out would have been as big on his watch...?

Anyone need a heads up...!

#22 new john

new john

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

Imported goods costing them more should the rand weaken then yes I fully agree. I would imagine that most supply contracts would have built in conditions as to currency fluctuations. However their Angolan operations will be another flavour altogether.

Look Shoprite's buying power would negate minor movements.

I'm more interested in what you read into their trading update that I missed...?

What part of the update did you find lackluster or disappointing? 

#23 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

I'm no expert but didn't think 6 months not as bad as expected plus share ranged up 160 lot of july so i think upside possible...but perhaps simplistic view...also aware under 150 danger zone

#24 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

Imported goods costing them more should the rand weaken then yes I fully agree. I would imagine that most supply contracts would have built in conditions as to currency fluctuations. However their Angolan operations will be another flavour altogether.

Look Shoprite's buying power would negate minor movements.

I'm more interested in what you read into their trading update that I missed...?

#25 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

If I'm understanding your question if they buying say baked beans/ cutlery or anything abroad when rand weak costing them more...if you referring 152.60..I think if breaks that on the up...but I've only been trading as such for short time so you welcome to say I'm talking rubbish..

#26 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

Know you have lots experience but watch that rand hey...think bad world wide sentiment and rand clapping it today ...statement was positive and think results out 20 aug

What is your reasoning in support of the highlighted above...?

#27 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

Surely lot of non perishables imported?

Maybe....like I say I don't deal in exacts...Maybe they have treasury dept. forward buying fixed rate contracts...gold bars in case of a meltdown...anything/everything I don't know...I went short purely on sentiment...& see a slow grind down over the next couple weeks till exact numbers come out & Mr market re-rates it. I'll be definitely before that time though.

#28 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

Surely lot of non perishables imported?

#29 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Are you looking 15 min chart or 1 day..I see it at 15260 approximately

I don't deal in exacts...When R153 area approaches volumes increase on the sell side & intensity ups. So big shorter or fund manager trimming their holding...? Anyone's guess as to who but it's happening.

I've been short for a while on general sentiment towards retailers & SHP is the elephant in the room....but had to happen if everyone else complaining they must feel it too..?

#30 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Most of their income in R's so if any currency movement impact limited.
I think where we no singing same is trading statement I thought was a feel good exercise.
For me numbers were below expectations. Sticking to my initial stance....short till stop is hit...Add on what I mentioned in earlier post.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#31 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Most of their income in R's so if any currency movement impact limited.

I think where we no singing same is trading statement I thought was a feel good exercise.

For me numbers were below expectations. Sticking to my initial stance....short till stop is hit...Add on what I mentioned in earlier post.

#32 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Are you looking 15 min chart or 1 day..I see it at 15260 approximately

#33 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

Know you have lots experience but watch that rand hey...think bad world wide sentiment and rand clapping it today ...statement was positive and think results out 20 aug

#34 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

My break even around the 153 mark going long...cant complain had lekker morning with my impala short...couldn't believe the luck last night when plat and palladium dropped like that..bit over reaction to fed I thought..but worked for me 😄

#35 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Morning Midas.
Yeah still holding the last 1/4 will add more on a break of R148 & subsequent re-test.
As for the R157 the other day....market maker shaking out the weak shorts..R153 area new short term resistance IMO.
Always nice to hear the views from the other side of the fence... ;)

Sent from my SM-G570F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#36 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Morning Midas.

Yeah still holding the last 1/4 will add more on a break of R148 & subsequent re-test.

As for the R157 the other day....market maker shaking out the weak shorts..R153 area new short term resistance IMO.

Always nice to hear the views from the other side of the fence... ;)

#37 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

Well 149.50 ish

#38 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

Bought more at 149...hoping goes 157 in next weeks....was there yesterday so possible

#39 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Morning soutie...hope you scored with your short I'm still long...could be few weeks before decent rise

#40 new john

new john

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

https://businesstech...ne-tech-stores/

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting