Surely lot of non perishables imported?

#42 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Are you looking 15 min chart or 1 day..I see it at 15260 approximately

I don't deal in exacts...When R153 area approaches volumes increase on the sell side & intensity ups. So big shorter or fund manager trimming their holding...? Anyone's guess as to who but it's happening.

I've been short for a while on general sentiment towards retailers & SHP is the elephant in the room....but had to happen if everyone else complaining they must feel it too..?

Anyone need a heads up...!

#43 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:48 AM

Most of their income in R's so if any currency movement impact limited.
I think where we no singing same is trading statement I thought was a feel good exercise.
For me numbers were below expectations. Sticking to my initial stance....short till stop is hit...Add on what I mentioned in earlier post.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#44 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:43 AM

Most of their income in R's so if any currency movement impact limited.

I think where we no singing same is trading statement I thought was a feel good exercise.

For me numbers were below expectations. Sticking to my initial stance....short till stop is hit...Add on what I mentioned in earlier post.

#45 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Are you looking 15 min chart or 1 day..I see it at 15260 approximately

#46 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

Know you have lots experience but watch that rand hey...think bad world wide sentiment and rand clapping it today ...statement was positive and think results out 20 aug

#47 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

My break even around the 153 mark going long...cant complain had lekker morning with my impala short...couldn't believe the luck last night when plat and palladium dropped like that..bit over reaction to fed I thought..but worked for me 😄

#48 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

Morning Midas.
Yeah still holding the last 1/4 will add more on a break of R148 & subsequent re-test.
As for the R157 the other day....market maker shaking out the weak shorts..R153 area new short term resistance IMO.
Always nice to hear the views from the other side of the fence... ;)

Sent from my SM-G570F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#49 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Morning Midas.

Yeah still holding the last 1/4 will add more on a break of R148 & subsequent re-test.

As for the R157 the other day....market maker shaking out the weak shorts..R153 area new short term resistance IMO.

Always nice to hear the views from the other side of the fence... ;)

#50 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

Well 149.50 ish

#51 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

Bought more at 149...hoping goes 157 in next weeks....was there yesterday so possible

#52 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Morning soutie...hope you scored with your short I'm still long...could be few weeks before decent rise

#53 new john

new john

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

https://businesstech...ne-tech-stores/

#54 new john

new john

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

https://www.supermar...-Store Openings

https://www.supermar... and technology

Edited by new john, 31 July 2019 - 09:35 AM.

#55 new john

new john

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

https://www.business...g-update-2019-7

#56 new john

new john

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

Morning 

My theory from a longer term equity stance (3+yrs) is there is a new reality confronting retail SA. Shoprite has for while been trading on it's proven reputation to deliver. I'm not so sure that is the case going forward, consumers don't have much scope to trade lower than what Shoprite offers through it's other outlets Usave etc...I'm not saying it's plateaued but I don't know where the growth will come from to move the needle.

For this post I'm kinda lumping Pick N Pay with Shoprite as they're both facing the same hurdles from a growth/what's next perspective.

Massmart tried to take them on & well failed miserably. Wallmart arrogance.... well this is Africa boet...!

Woolies customers can trade down to what Shoprite are now offering in their convenience section & the upper priced lines they are expanding into.

Shoprite has a decent furniture section yet they could go into clothing more meaningfully...? 

My biggest issue with Shoprite is this African expansion...Hopefully it's not a balls to the wall attitude....! Think Tiger Brands scenario or even Woolies down under disaster...Even more money in the toilet backing a CEO who won't fall on his own sword.

The overseas investor market wants a growth for growth sake result every year & when it doesn't appear they dump. Now 951k is not alot when over 6mil traded yesterday but it's the herd mentality it speaks to coming from the outside.

Anyway all comments/views & contradictions welcome.... ;)

Have a great day at market...

Opinion certainly appreciated. 

Have you done any research RE: OK Foods? SHP is throwing a LOT of weight behind their franchise division and has earmarked it as a direct competitor to SPAR and Pick n Pay Family stores. 

#57 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

Opinion appreciated as always...I'm not static with equities...if go up enough I sell and bank...so who knows if I own shp on a year....I'm long on my cfds and you short.....so cant even say good luck...was article on web yesterday re checkers up market shops...guess people have buy food somewhere it's just where

#58 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

Morning 

My theory from a longer term equity stance (3+yrs) is there is a new reality confronting retail SA. Shoprite has for while been trading on it's proven reputation to deliver. I'm not so sure that is the case going forward, consumers don't have much scope to trade lower than what Shoprite offers through it's other outlets Usave etc...I'm not saying it's plateaued but I don't know where the growth will come from to move the needle.

For this post I'm kinda lumping Pick N Pay with Shoprite as they're both facing the same hurdles from a growth/what's next perspective.

Massmart tried to take them on & well failed miserably. Wallmart arrogance.... well this is Africa boet...!

Woolies customers can trade down to what Shoprite are now offering in their convenience section & the upper priced lines they are expanding into.

Shoprite has a decent furniture section yet they could go into clothing more meaningfully...? 

My biggest issue with Shoprite is this African expansion...Hopefully it's not a balls to the wall attitude....! Think Tiger Brands scenario or even Woolies down under disaster...Even more money in the toilet backing a CEO who won't fall on his own sword.

The overseas investor market wants a growth for growth sake result every year & when it doesn't appear they dump. Now 951k is not alot when over 6mil traded yesterday but it's the herd mentality it speaks to coming from the outside.

Anyway all comments/views & contradictions welcome.... ;)

Have a great day at market...

#59 new john

new john

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:17 PM

What I'm inferring is that on your first link there's a Lazard EM fund dumping 951k of script & the local guys mopping it up Coro for instance upping their holdings.

Correct me if I’m wrong but they’ve been steadily selling. Maybe a strategic move that’s not necessarily related to the current price. But yeah, I certainly can understand the point you’re making. Why sell on the way up?

#60 Midas1

Midas1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:09 PM

They could have sold now as shares up...but makes you wonder if they think no more upside right now

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting