271 replies to this topic

#121 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg (RSA)

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Patiently waiting for it to get to -R200.00, Iron Ore droped further last night to 5 year low of $US78.60/Tonne, KIO will drop a further +3% today with no end in sight....

#122 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

Sugafoot I think 250 is very optimistic, it briefly traded almost there day before yesterday at it's low for the day, my gut says closer to 200-, remember the iron ore situation shall take several years to reverse.

I would take the money and pain now... The way things are looking for the iron ore market, there is allot of pain still to be left... We could even see KIO at 250 very soon... Don't be caught catching a falling knife

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#123 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

This is depressing...

Tell me about it! Im in from R380, seriously considering just selling it and taking the loss. Whenever I think it can't get any worse it drops another 5%. I guess this is how lessons are learnt

I would take the money and pain now... The way things are looking for the iron ore market, there is allot of pain still to be left... We could even see KIO at 250 very soon... Don't be caught catching a falling knife

#124 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Guys you have had plenty of warning on this forum from end of August - as my Afrikaans teacher used to say "Julle wil nie luister nie, julle moet voel" and proceed to give us cuts for failing a test.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#125 JLFB

JLFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

This is depressing...

Tell me about it! Im in from R380, seriously considering just selling it and taking the loss. Whenever I think it can't get any worse it drops another 5%. I guess this is how lessons are learnt

#126 MHB

MHB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

This is depressing...

#127 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Peter, If you study the thread no one thought it would sink to 285, at 270 you are in dangerous territory but who knows where the bottom is, the trend is still certainly down from here but you are in uncharted waters.

@Merlin: Is it to late for a short on KIO?

#128 Peter01

Peter01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

@Merlin: Is it to late for a short on KIO?

#129 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

272.50 and counting - heaven for shorts

Take a step back and incorporate economics into the discussion not just the surplus material available.

If you as a producer have millions of tons of product you wish to sell you WILL be forced to be price makers not takers.

By saying that what I mean is you WILL UNDERCUT your competitors just to offload your produce.

Every miner exposed to iron ore is going to suffer more pain.

ARM's results were pretty decent but their exposure to iron ore is too great a % of their overall basket.

KIO is a 1 trick pony namely iron ore....

To maximize your shorting opportunity also include Exxaro as they hold 20% of KIO so will be dragged down with.

I'm still short & adding again on the dead cat bounces till Dec finals.

For those who are in long I have been where you find yourself now & it sucks big-time.

Get out first retest of R300 & go get pissed for 2-3 days.

#130 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

The upside is you are getting good experience.

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.

Is there a bottom.

I'm sinking into an abyss

#131 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Is there a bottom.

I'm sinking into an abyss

#132 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Take a step back and incorporate economics into the discussion not just the surplus material available.

If you as a producer have millions of tons of product you wish to sell you WILL be forced to be price makers not takers.

By saying that what I mean is you WILL UNDERCUT your competitors just to offload your produce.

Every miner exposed to iron ore is going to suffer more pain.

ARM's results were pretty decent but their exposure to iron ore is too great a % of their overall basket.

KIO is a 1 trick pony namely iron ore....

To maximize your shorting opportunity also include Exxaro as they hold 20% of KIO so will be dragged down with.

I'm still short & adding again on the dead cat bounces till Dec finals.

For those who are in long I have been where you find yourself now & it sucks big-time.

Get out first retest of R300 & go get pissed for 2-3 days.

Anyone need a heads up...!

#133 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

From bad to worse, large new Brazilian mine shall commence in two years time, adding to the surplus of iron ore. see extract from http://www.mining.co...ve-years-93008/

So I take back my undertaking to get back in @ 285 on KIO

Barclay's Bank estimates that, assuming Chinese steel production grows at 5.1% per year, there will be a surplus of 79 million tonnes of seaborne iron ore this year and 67 million tonnes next year. UBS estimates a surplus of 74 million tonnes this year, with a possible oversupply of 267 million tonnes by 2016.

"Two years from now, Brazil will put … a big new mine into production. So in two years, you'll see again a pretty lumpy increase in output that will cause another slump [in] prices," he was quoted as saying.

"So, this volatility will continue as supply tries to catch up with demand and then overshoots again, but in the short term I think prices will be pretty stable, around the $90 mark."

#134 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Mc E, forgive me for rubbing it in, you mention that Kumba will reach 380 in September  (as it always do) , which year did you have in mind or was it a typo - was it 280 you meant to say.

Currently trading at 307.42 

I took my punishment and bailed at 373.41 as I saw it coming.

This is a very volatile share, it goes up as quick as it goes down,

M e r l i n, you must have burned big time on this one, you are very negative on Kumba lol...

as for 280, KIO will never reach that level unless iron ore trades at sub $54.3/tonne which I doubt

This share will reach +380.00 again in September (as it always do)

This is a well run, profit generating busses which just concluded a 3 year wage deal, and pays good div.

My advise would be: if you're playing in the resources space, keep an eye on it, if not - leave it to us to ride these waves ;-)

personally I think this level is a bottom for this 'cycle'

#135 Procrastinator

Procrastinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

Google "Chinese ghost cities" I think if the resource players are looking for growth in demand out of China they could have a bit of a speed bump coming.
Where did those damn 10 baggers go?

#136 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg (RSA)

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

From Bloomberg
Iron ore declined to the lowest level in five years on concern that the economic slowdown in China, the world’s biggest consumer, will curb demand for the steelmaking ingredient as the global surplus expands.
Ore with 62 percent content at the Chinese port of Qingdao dropped 0.7 percent to $87.70 a dry ton today, the lowest since October 2009, according to data compiled by Metal Bulletin Ltd. The raw material fell for a ninth day in the worst run since September 2013.
Prices slumped 35 percent this year, entering a bear market in March, as producers including BHP Billiton Ltd. and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd. (FMG) are expanding supplies, pushing the market into a glut. Global seaborne output will exceed demand by 72 million tons this year and 175 million tons in 2015, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. estimates. Concerns about the strength of China’s recovery have grown after data this month showed the weakest credit growth since 2008, an unexpected slowdown in industrial output and home prices slumping in more cities.
“What we’re dealing with is essentially oversupply from the major iron ore producers, from Australia in particular,” Paul Gait, an analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein Ltd. in London, said by phone. “They’re pushing too much tonnage into the market against a demand side that’s a little bit lackluster.”

Bloomberg reports that iron ore fell to its lowest price in five years today, while also reporting that Austria’s largest steelmaker, Voestalpine, says there is “still enormous overcapacity in iron ore.”

Only after production has been reduced to compensate for huge surplus shall I be a customer for Kumba, it certainly shall not be this year and maybe not next either.

Stock went ex div.

Relax.

Interesting read, I've read quite a few echoing the same sentiment the past couple of days, I've noticed the graph patern you referred earlier as well... Bleak outlook accompanied with Ex. Div status!

#137 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

From Bloomberg

Iron ore declined to the lowest level in five years on concern that the economic slowdown in China, the world’s biggest consumer, will curb demand for the steelmaking ingredient as the global surplus expands.

Ore with 62 percent content at the Chinese port of Qingdao dropped 0.7 percent to $87.70 a dry ton today, the lowest since October 2009, according to data compiled by Metal Bulletin Ltd. The raw material fell for a ninth day in the worst run since September 2013.

Prices slumped 35 percent this year, entering a bear market in March, as producers including BHP Billiton Ltd. and Fortescue Metals Group Ltd. (FMG) are expanding supplies, pushing the market into a glut. Global seaborne output will exceed demand by 72 million tons this year and 175 million tons in 2015, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. estimates. Concerns about the strength of China’s recovery have grown after data this month showed the weakest credit growth since 2008, an unexpected slowdown in industrial output and home prices slumping in more cities.

“What we’re dealing with is essentially oversupply from the major iron ore producers, from Australia in particular,” Paul Gait, an analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein Ltd. in London, said by phone. “They’re pushing too much tonnage into the market against a demand side that’s a little bit lackluster.”

Bloomberg reports that iron ore fell to its lowest price in five years today, while also reporting that Austria’s largest steelmaker, Voestalpine, says there is “still enormous overcapacity in iron ore.”

Only after production has been reduced to compensate for huge surplus shall I be a customer for Kumba, it certainly shall not be this year and maybe not next either.

Stock went ex div.

Relax.

#138 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Stock went ex div.

Relax.

Yes, I will take your money!  :ph34r:

#139 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

Iron Ore price at a 5 year low and counting

Yes it is like a slow puncture...

#140 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Yes it is like a slow puncture...

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting