• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#281 joker247

joker247

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hi Guys Im very new to share investing. Been reading this forum for about a year now. Here is my portfolio so far.

I have been adding shares over the last year as I got more money so its not yet complete. Just added Hulamin a few days ago. It is up 26% over the last 15 months. I would like to add some more Mr price soon as well as Aspen, Sasol, FNB,Vodacom, Mondi,BATS and SAB over the next few months. I had this money sitting in a bank account earning 5.5% so im happy so far. Thanks Gamma for CML I bought purely based on your thread. It has been the star so far only to be overtaken by MPC recently. Your thoughs would be appreciated.

Coronation 40%

Mr Price

10%

Woolies

20%

EOH

20%

Hulamin

20%

#282 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

good luck Goliath... penny stocks are no good but people are drawn to them like moths to a flame.

Yep, I'm guilty as well.. :unsure:

Not a lot invested in them so won't break the bank ;)

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#283 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

My portfolio:

NPK = 98.23%
Cash = 1.77%

Have fallen into the trap of going all out, it's all or nothing from now on! :)

Nampak is an okay stock but you're setting yourself up for failure here.

#284 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Portfolio update:

Visual International - 15%
RBA Holdings - 7.5%
Afdawn - 7.5%
Cash - 70%

Sold all my shares as I'm looking to buy my first apartment, wasting too much money on trades etc and don't have the discipline most of you have.. thus decided to jump out of it and keep the account open and hold a few penny stocks/punts as per the above, don't have much hope for RBA and Afdawn but still positive about Visual International

good luck Goliath... penny stocks are no good but people are drawn to them like moths to a flame.

#285 TheFrugalFox

TheFrugalFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

Portfolio update:

RBA Holdings - 7.5%

Afdawn - 7.5%

Cash - 70%

Sold all my shares as I'm looking to buy my first apartment, wasting too much money on trades etc and don't have the discipline most of you have.. thus decided to jump out of it and keep the account open and hold a few penny stocks/punts as per the above, don't have much hope for RBA and Afdawn but still positive about Visual International

This is my forth time buying shares. I hate looking at shares I did own and the money lost - and let me tell you, sometimes a hell of a lot. Definitely keep the account but maybe you need to change from being a trader to a long term investor? Get some quality shares and just leave them.

#286 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Alex Forbes lists on 20th July I believe, that would be worth a long term punt.

Not so sure...business looks ex growth to me and you got to wonder whether management is not using the listing to exit?

#287 Safrican

Safrican

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLyford Cay.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Alex Forbes lists on 20th July I believe, that would be worth a long term punt.  

Thank you for your time and I will thank you for mine. - Rodriguez

#288 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Portfolio update:

RBA Holdings - 7.5%

Afdawn - 7.5%

Cash - 70%

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#289 MSF

MSF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDurban

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

My portfolio:

NPK = 98.23%

Cash = 1.77%

Why such a HUGE investment on a company like Nampak? I was thinking of dumping :)

#290 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Portfolio as it currently stands

Sasol                        18%

Phuthuma Nathi 1     15%

Sibanye                    20%

Kumba                      20%

ARH                          10%

Cash                         17%

Decreased my Sibanye holding over the past two days, hence cash is quite high. Also invested a ARH two weeks ago at 5.85 average cost. Nice little business that.

I'm looking for a 1 additional investment. Struggling to find anything at the moment.

Any comments given my current portfolio and shares I should be looking at?

I'm a bit overweight resources, but I'm struggling to find value in other sectors of the market. 

I'm not clearly not a fan of having too many shares in a portfolio (finance theory on diversification notwithstanding).

Taken a bit of a hit on Kumba, Done well on Sasol and Sibanye.

ARH is up a little.

Used excess cash to invest in more Phuthuma Nathi's (which is very decent value). Other than that, haven't done much over the past 2 months.

As you were.

Yes, I will take your money!  :ph34r:

#291 WINH

WINH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

My portfolio:

NPK = 98.23%

Cash = 1.77%

#292 JJBen

JJBen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

This is a call to the GOV. "Please let the shares die properly, only then can the phoenix rise from the ashes, other wise you have this, halve dead, halve alive zombie on medi-aid, like your latest creation NPN, AARGH! Sis man, disgusting!

Agreed TradeBit. That fly-by-night junk (NPN) is a text-book example of how not to do it. Hope you notified the Minister of Finance and Jill. We might just save what is left. For the children.

#293 TradeBit

TradeBit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

This is a call to the GOV. "Please let the shares die properly, only then can the phoenix rise from the ashes, other wise you have this, halve dead, halve alive zombie on medi-aid, like your latest creation NPN, AARGH! Sis man, disgusting!

Edited by TradeBit, 06 June 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#294 TradeBit

TradeBit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

I do not like it when "THEY" kill the Reaper like that, how are the little guy going to make it in this game?

#295 TradeBit

TradeBit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

Gov. buying TRU and TFG, I guess the downwards fun is over.

#296 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:18 AM

FrugalFox,
I am not singling out SAC for any other reason than the lack of div growth, one cannot hold any asset without div appreciation no matter what it is, otherwise what is the point, you end up with a depreciating asset.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#297 TheFrugalFox

TheFrugalFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedBySharenet Sharechat1401881128.306016.jpg

Pretty new long term portfolio, happy so far :)

To me, that's a well thought out, long term portfolio.

#298 TheFrugalFox

TheFrugalFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Well, most SA property shares have not moved in the last year or so, so not sure if it's fair to single out SAC. I do own SAC as well as quite a few others.

#299 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

So do I FrugalFox, I do not hold all of them anymore, I could not resist and took profits along the way (foolishly in hindsight), but had the good sense at least to buy back in along the way which I am glad about, so relieved that I hold at least half the original amount - I was advised to diversify and like a fool I listened.

Which substantiates my other comment about SAC, I paid 416 for the Pork at the same time and it did almost squat comparatively.

I also started buying RIN on the 20/03/2013 @R5.63 - bought a few times since. Of course, they did change names resulting in the confusion. 

I wish my whole portfolio was worth 90,000 RPL's!

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#300 newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Attached File  ImageUploadedBySharenet Sharechat1401881128.306016.jpg   47.43KB   93 downloads

Pretty new long term portfolio, happy so far :)

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting