Photo
- - - - -

Hi Everyone! What is the best platform to buy shares directly?

shares

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Stay away from FNB, data isn't up to date and really limited options, only have it as it is linked on my profile.. if I could do it over I'd go with Standard Bank or PSG!

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#2 jdm007

jdm007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

I just used them because I wanted to invest R10000 for the next few years without monthly fees, so you would still avoid computershare for someone that is thinking long term investment.

Please dont go that route..They are not stockbrokers..they are more transfer secretaries,,,and they dont do all shares!! 

#3 saint1

saint1

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationPort Elizabeth

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:40 AM

Also using SBK, cant imagine relying on someone else to buy and sell on my behalf.

https://securities.s...bank.co.za/ost/

#4 Haykea

Haykea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Amen to that..!!!!

#5 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Please dont go that route..They are not stockbrokers..they are more transfer secretaries,,,and they dont do all shares!! 

I used a company called computershare, They will put an order telephonically and you will receive notifications through you postbox This is if you want to but shares for long term and I think the most cost effective and you cannot avoid brokerage fees but you will not be charged account fees which will add up over time

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#6 jdm007

jdm007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I used a company called computershare, They will put an order telephonically and you will receive notifications through you postbox This is if you want to but shares for long term and I think the most cost effective and you cannot avoid brokerage fees but you will not be charged account fees which will add up over time

Edited by jdm007, 14 May 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#7 Haykea

Haykea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Use Std Bank if your volumes are low / ABSA if you intend doing more volumes, difference of about 0.10% per trade

#8 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

I suggest you use ABSA

I use Absa on the side for warrants and other shares. Not the most dynamic platform , but functions ito basic trading requirements. Do not expect state of the art charting functionality.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#9 DrunkCat

DrunkCat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

I suggest you use ABSA

Robbie

#10 ptomli

ptomli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks a lot for the input.

My terminology is totally incorrect then, I apologise for that. My knowledge with investing is somewhat nonexistant.

I would like to buy shares directly and hold them for a long term investment. Is it then best to approach the company directly and do this? I would like to avoid having to pay any brokers etc if possible.

Kind regards,

Syzygy

It's not possible to buy shares directly, you must go through a broker.

Before thinking about any of that, go here http://www.justonelap.com and watch the beginners webinars for investing

#11 Syzygy

Syzygy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks a lot for the input.

My terminology is totally incorrect then, I apologise for that. My knowledge with investing is somewhat nonexistant.

I would like to buy shares directly and hold them for a long term investment. Is it then best to approach the company directly and do this? I would like to avoid having to pay any brokers etc if possible.

Kind regards,

Syzygy

#12 ptomli

ptomli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

If you  r investing long term, you don't need any platform!! Platfoms r for trading!!

I'm sure there probably more to it than my simple example here, but...

Assuming someone invests R200k into ETFs, and the choice of "platform" is OST and "non-platform" is etfSA, then I think the numbers rattle out roughly

etfSA:

Purchase costs: R3.50 + 0.1% = R203.50

5 years "management": R200k * 0.75% p/a = R1500 * 5 = R7500

Total fees for R200k invested in ETF for 5 years = R7700

OST:

Purchase costs: ~0.7% = R1400

5 years "management": R720 * 5 = R3600

Total fees for R200k invested in ETF for 5 years = R5000

I'm sure there's some other considerations, but I can't see adding ~0.8% annual fees can be good for long-term investing, when compared to a lower, fixed annual fee with a slightly higher upfront purchase cost.

Simon Brown mentioned in his webinar last night that it's cheaper to buy direct from the issuer/etfSA, then move to OTS, in order to save both the upfront and annual management. That would likely result in paying R200 for the buy, then R70 for the transfer, then the R60 p/m., totalling R3870

I guess a lot depends on how much you buy, how often, and how long you are going to keep it. And if I've misunderstood the definition of "platform"

#13 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

If you  r investing long term, you don't need any platform!! Platfoms r for trading!!

Hi HDB,

I would like to buy shares for long term investments.

Thanks,

Syzygy

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#14 Syzygy

Syzygy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Do you want to buy shares for long term investment or do you want to buy shares to trade is the first question....

Hi HDB,

I would like to buy shares for long term investments.

Thanks,

Syzygy

#15 Syzygy

Syzygy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the link ClockworkOrange

#16 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Do you want to buy shares for long term investment or do you want to buy shares to trade is the first question....

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker and now a first time poster.

I am looking at buying shares directly. Initially I want to start off small. What would be the best platform for me to do this?

Many Thanks,

Syzygy

HDB

#17 ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

https://securities.s...bank.co.za/ost/

#18 Syzygy

Syzygy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Any possible suggestions to my original question?

Thanks

#19 Syzygy

Syzygy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker and now a first time poster.

I am looking at buying shares directly. Initially I want to start off small. What would be the best platform for me to do this?

Many Thanks,

Syzygy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shares

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting