#1 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Almost another 1% today (.9%) within a strong up trading channel, of course when it generates a sell signal I shall sell and catch another bus somewhere.

your timing was good for an entry. Its now at an all time high. should continue to do fine. major risk is the competition commission locally. private hospitals have been the major driver for healthcare inflation in recent times and government is looking for a way to reign them in. 

Life's model is more low cost than the other 2 players so this could either benefit them more (by taking market share) of hurt them more (margin compression) than the other 2 players.. I have not been able to work it out yet. 

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#2 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Bought Life 1st of May and in less than two months I am 6% up on price plus 1.3% div = 7.3%, I leave this to germinate in LTP.

your timing was good for an entry. Its now at an all time high. should continue to do fine. major risk is the competition commission locally. private hospitals have been the major driver for healthcare inflation in recent times and government is looking for a way to reign them in. 

Life's model is more low cost than the other 2 players so this could either benefit them more (by taking market share) of hurt them more (margin compression) than the other 2 players.. I have not been able to work it out yet. 

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#3 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Bought Life 1st of May and in less than two months I am 6% up on price plus 1.3% div = 7.3%, I leave this to germinate in LTP.

It's a tricky question. Life has done very well and probably overan itself a bit and now we seeing the other 2 players catching up. NTC probably has the most upside potential in the short term. In the medium term I'm betting on Life because they seem to have a better recent managment track record, better ROE and better current DY. To be honest the best bet at this point to is to split holdings into 2 of the 3 players rather than betting on 1. In the longer term healthcare will continue to generate good returns. People are living longer, demanding more care, living less healthily etc etc.. Probably will do fine owning any one of these, esp given the high barriers to entry

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#4 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Looking to add this one, like their current results very much..

Still a happy shareholder myself.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#5 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

I hold these in my portfolio, HEPS up 13.4% and interim div up 16.7% which is exactly what you expect from a sound investment.

Increasing dividend is a most important criterion - I shall hold while this expectation continues to be satisfied.

#6 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Yes I like this one for the long term, especially now that they are starting to diversify out of South Africa...

Looking to add this one, like their current results very much..

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#7 brendonfiddes

brendonfiddes

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

Yes I like this one for the long term, especially now that they are starting to diversify out of South Africa...

#8 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Good results

#9 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

What's driving LHC today?

#10 Gspot

Gspot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationEast London

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Agree with most of your comments, all quality and good margins, with demand for such services continuing if not increasing. I bought more LHC in closing auction today (ESP after recent pullback)...

#11 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

I shied away from Netcare due to their past troubles and bought some Life due to it's track record from listing and also especially the India exposure(can't really go wrong there if done correctly, slightly less risky than Africa I think?), will try and look at that a bit more as that is also one of the big drivers why I bought in.. maybe short term going to stay in this region as they have grown immensely, but medical care and property you can never go wrong in my experience! :D

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#12 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Gamma your thoughts on Life going forward?

It's a tricky question. Life has done very well and probably overan itself a bit and now we seeing the other 2 players catching up. NTC probably has the most upside potential in the short term. In the medium term I'm betting on Life because they seem to have a better recent managment track record, better ROE and better current DY. To be honest the best bet at this point to is to split holdings into 2 of the 3 players rather than betting on 1. In the longer term healthcare will continue to generate good returns. People are living longer, demanding more care, living less healthily etc etc.. Probably will do fine owning any one of these, esp given the high barriers to entry

#13 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Gamma your thoughts on Life going forward?

#14 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

I bought some Netcate yesterday at R21.31 !

Charts showed the breakout above R21.00 so I am happy :)

Nicely up since...

Worrying thing is that the trading statement came out midday yesterday but look at the chart for Wednesday action.

Some insider tradiing definitely. Where is the JSE  surveillance??? :wub: .

you are correct...dodgy. look a the volumes that day - 9mil shares traded. Should be easy to work out if insider trading. Audit the top 20 buys

#15 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Nicely up since...

Worrying thing is that the trading statement came out midday yesterday but look at the chart for Wednesday action.

Looks like you bought just in time! :)

#16 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Between the three I prefer Life and Netcare, that trading statement of Medi Clinic not too nice!

#17 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Nicely up since...

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#18 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

and now it's Mediclinic's turn

MEDICLINIC INTERNATIONAL LIMITED
(Incorporated in the Republic of South Africa)
(Registration number: 1983/010725/06)
(Share code: MDC)
(ISIN: ZAE000074142)
("Mediclinic" or “the Company”)

TRADING STATEMENT – AUDITED GROUP RESULTS FOR THE YEAR ENDED
31 MARCH 2013

In terms of the JSE Limited (“JSE”) Listings Requirements,
companies are required to publish a trading statement as soon as
they are satisfied that a reasonable degree of certainty exists
that the financial results for the period to be reported upon next
will differ by at least 20% from that of the previous
corresponding reporting period. Mediclinic is in the process of
finalising its year-end results for the twelve months ended 31
March 2013, which are due to be released on SENS on 22 May 2013
and published in the press on 23 May 2013 (“year-end results
announcement”).

Accordingly, shareholders are advised that the Company’s basic
earnings per share (“EPS”) and basic headline earnings per share
(“HEPS”) for the year ended 31 March 2013 are expected to be
between 164% and 174% lower than that reported for the previous
corresponding reporting period (“the EPS and HEPS range”).

#19 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Whats your views on Netcare gamma??  Seem to have broken out above R21.00

Worth a punt??

I haven't analysed Netcare in quite some time HDB. Last time I did what put me off was their massive debt overhang and their european exposure. Perhaps things have changed lately which might mean its time for a relook. These results appear pretty good on the surface.

#20 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thanks   Goliah...makes sense!!

I'd rather go with Life currently, released good results despite tough conditions and the India deal is extra gravy on the side if it starts to yield some good results!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting