34 replies to this topic

#21 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

The quickest your going to loose that 700k is to open a CFD account and follow the daily thread!

If your TA/seasonal trading skills are up to scratch and you have experience and a strategy that works you can consider playing high priced warrants but with 700k you don't need to jump in and out to make good money...!

Just my 2c

A

Yes I actually agree here with you Argento but that is why I asked first the level of risk he is looking at for this lump sum.

In any event, whatever you do, make sure you know how to operate the instrument, ie CFDs in this case and and second and most importantly pay very careful attention to risk management.

its not because of CFDs that traders lose - its because of poor risk management.

If you disciplined and never risk more than 1-2% of your capital on any given trade and never move stop losses, always have target prices, then you can learn while you play.

I'm not a fan of demo accounts for learning. You need to have skin in the game.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#22 Playa

Playa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationVryburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

wow!  the quickest way to lose 700k is to play warrants and cfd's ESPECIALLY if you have no experience,ESPECIALLY in  a MARKET like this.! 

rather be patient and take the time to learn,and in the mean time put some money into a satrix or unit trust account or into share installments.

i started with ordinary shares moved on to warrants ,then dabbled in ssf's  and finally with cfd's. i still cannot see how the reasonable trader can trade with warrants,they are absolutely horrible,especially when the price goes against you and you lose money due to time decay.

anyway go on a course on how to learn how to trade either with traderscorner or themarket.

Thank you Guys for the honest and frank advice, much appreciated!!! Yes I did not win the 700k in the lottery, I need to think, research and learn hard and fast before making any decisions, but hopefully I will get there!!! Thanks for the PM's too!!

#23 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

wow!  the quickest way to lose 700k is to play warrants and cfd's ESPECIALLY if you have no experience,ESPECIALLY in  a MARKET like this.! 

rather be patient and take the time to learn,and in the mean time put some money into a satrix or unit trust account or into share installments.

i started with ordinary shares moved on to warrants ,then dabbled in ssf's  and finally with cfd's. i still cannot see how the reasonable trader can trade with warrants,they are absolutely horrible,especially when the price goes against you and you lose money due to time decay.

anyway go on a course on how to learn how to trade either with traderscorner or themarket.

You missed the word 'consider'...! ;)

But agree, rather take a very conservative approach with 700k!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#24 bulls

bulls

bulls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

The quickest your going to loose that 700k is to open a CFD account and follow the daily thread!

If your TA/seasonal trading skills are up to scratch and you have experience and a strategy that works you can consider playing high priced warrants but with 700k you don't need to jump in and out to make good money...!

Just my 2c

A

less yada yada more ching ching!!

#25 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Just my 2c

A

Agreed. If you aren't already familiar with trading and CFDs and don't have a worked out strategy, that R700k can quickly become "school fees"! Very expensive tuition!

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#26 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Sorry missed your post Gamma!! Thank You!!

Just my 2c

A

"Never never never give up!"

#27 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

AJS, what would you do?! (Serious)

Well, given my age and my risk profile I would use this to trade CFDs.  Probably not all of it.  Some of it I will invest in a few unit trusts and ETNs.  I actually saw Investec having this new digital option on the S&P500 which looks decent as well.

But yeah, I would like to use a great portion of this to trade!

#28 Playa

Playa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationVryburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

lol..nice one re the 10%

So then CFDs would make sense given your risk appetite.

Well the best advice I can give is open you account and follow the CFD trade of day thread.

Sorry missed your post Gamma!! Thank You!!

#29 Playa

Playa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationVryburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

From my quick observation... CFD's are the way to go? where can I learn as to how to trade these? any particular website? using ABSA as stockbrockers, do they do CFD's? Thank You

I still however need to buy some equities? another idea (has anyone here tried riding the waves of MTN as a daily trader?)

#30 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

I have long term investments in place (property and other Blue chips), looking for something that can turn my money = 100% Risk. Willing to share 10% of my profits for sound advice

lol..nice one re the 10%

So then CFDs would make sense given your risk appetite.

Well the best advice I can give is open you account and follow the CFD trade of day thread.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#31 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

Man oh man, what I wouldn't do for a R700k CFD trading account!  :)

AJS, what would you do?! (Serious)

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#32 Playa

Playa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationVryburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

depends what % the 700k is of your overall investment portfolio and your goals/risk appetite. I definitely would not stick the whole lot into a CFD trading account if that is all you have, especially if you are looking for a longer term investment.

I have long term investments in place (property and other Blue chips), looking for something that can turn my money = 100% Risk. Willing to share 10% of my profits for sound advice

#33 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi There,

Just received a payout of R700k, any advice as to what to get in? unfortunately not familiar with CFD's or warrants.

Outlook 6-12 Months, will look at high risk also, Your advice appreciated.

depends what % the 700k is of your overall investment portfolio and your goals/risk appetite. I definitely would not stick the whole lot into a CFD trading account if that is all you have, especially if you are looking for a longer term investment.

#34 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Man oh man, what I wouldn't do for a R700k CFD trading account!  :)

#35 Playa

Playa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationVryburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi There,

Just received a payout of R700k, any advice as to what to get in? unfortunately not familiar with CFD's or warrants.

Outlook 6-12 Months, will look at high risk also, Your advice appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shares

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting