• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#41 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble but your prefs are probably worthless. Wait for the update. No dividends incoming for a VERY long time.

not if shareholder activists get involved...

#42 HighRiskGain

HighRiskGain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Sold out when I read the DBlive article. bit bummed could have taken it on short  :huh:

Unseen lobster

#43 HighRiskGain

HighRiskGain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

Also their market cap is growing also fast . Wonder when this bubble will burst

Unseen lobster

#44 HighRiskGain

HighRiskGain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

Ok ok. Why is big investment portfolio companies putting so much money if this is worth nothing . I don't understand why or am i missing something  

Peregrine Capital Proprietary,Steyn Capital Management Proprietary

Unseen lobster

#45 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:44 AM

First prize for me is cancelling the preference shares at R100, pay ordinary holders 25c and let the phoenix return to the ashes

Sorry to burst your bubble but your prefs are probably worthless.  Wait for the update. No dividends incoming for a VERY long time.

#46 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

First prize for me is cancelling the preference shares at R100, pay ordinary holders 25c and let the phoenix return to the ashes

#47 HighRiskGain

HighRiskGain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Almost at the 50 cent mark . Don't know why its growing a cent a day ... Care to share ?

Unseen lobster

#48 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

Not sure what all the fuss is about - the Cash NAV at 30 Sep is 35.7c

They expect to make 3c HEPS to end of March 2017 - so cash NAV should still be in the range of 35-40c

The share should trade at a discount to Cash NAV (why pay more for cash than what cash is worth)

The only time that cash shells have traded above NAV is when an executive team can prove that it can make value accretive deals (i.e. buy a private company on say a 6PE and the market later believes it is worth a 12PE (i.e. 100% paper/theoretical accretive)

I think a lot of people just bailing out - I might have stuck it out (if I didn't donate it as I did, was all in at 46c a share son of a..) if it still had interest in the "new bank" I would have held onto it but as I see it now it doesn't and hence this one falls under my gamble list but I think there better gamblers to bet on at this point! xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.5Yux4gu5_h.png

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#49 Alpha 101

Alpha 101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCAPE TOWN

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

Not sure what all the fuss is about - the Cash NAV at 30 Sep is 35.7c

They expect to make 3c HEPS to end of March 2017 - so cash NAV should still be in the range of 35-40c

The share should trade at a discount to Cash NAV (why pay more for cash than what cash is worth)

The only time that cash shells have traded above NAV is when an executive team can prove that it can make value accretive deals (i.e. buy a private company on say a 6PE and the market later believes it is worth a 12PE (i.e. 100% paper/theoretical accretive)

#50 SLEEKONE

SLEEKONE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

Good question to ask would be "if institutional investors are exiting this so called Phoenix then who is buying"

Gullible investors of course

The ultimate profit hunter

#51 vishalsur

vishalsur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Good question to ask would be "if institutional investors are exiting this so called Phoenix then who is buying"

#52 SLEEKONE

SLEEKONE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Wait a minute.... this is not a Phoenix, this is a chicken!!!! :o  They have zero percent holding in the new  reformed African Bank. These guys are just a subsidiary turned parent :angry:  Stay away, salvage whatever you have left. We must wait until these clowns tell us their strategy, They need to make acquisitions and make serious money before the market favors them. The big volumes are driven by institutional investors exiting this so called Phoenix.

#53 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

This is the big question from I after reading BD article posted below.....Why come to market now with no plan why not wait till end March as per CEO's comment....?

Anyone need a heads up...!

#54 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

There is a lot of value in the preference shares, even if they dont pay a dividend immediately.  If they however do pay a divi at 76% of prime, we will get a dividend of 800c this year, or close to a 25% yield.  I bought some today at R31. 

100% correct...Now if they pay the dividends on pref shares, what value/profit  is left for ordinary shares?  a pittance...

All this hype to pump up the stock from existing losers makes no sense...

Absolute rubbish this...stay away!!

Trading is one of the only fields where genuine con artists/scammers will urge you to “be careful of con artists/scammers.”

#55 jaDEB

jaDEB

jaDEB

• 2,951 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:35 AM

Guys. Do any of you actually know what you are buying into or you all getting caught up in herd mentality.

ALX operates in highly specialized and niche insurance space. There is not a lot of scope for strong growth in the business they operating in.

Don't just buy because of the hype. There are better more profitable stronger and more well known shares you can throw your hard earned money at.

Unfortunately I do agree, if u want to go for it, do so, but try make it small portion of your portfolio.

jaDEB

I got my heebie-jeebies in a hidden bag

Oasis

#56 SouthAfricanMi.com

SouthAfricanMi.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:28 AM

Guys. Do any of you actually know what you are buying into or you all getting caught up in herd mentality.

ALX operates in highly specialized and niche insurance space. There is not a lot of scope for strong growth in the business they operating in.

Don't just buy because of the hype. There are better more profitable stronger and more well known shares you can throw your hard earned money at.

#57 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

There is a lot of value in the preference shares, even if they dont pay a dividend immediately.  If they however do pay a divi at 76% of prime, we will get a dividend of 800c this year, or close to a 25% yield.  I bought some today at R31. 

#58 SLEEKONE

SLEEKONE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

Let us remember that investing is not for the faint hearted. We should invest for the long term if we are to reap exponential returns. This company now has a strong management with experience, not the reckless idiots who were once at the helm. 

I invest intuitively most of the time, but in this case all the fundamentals were indicative of an exponential growth stock.

Invest for the LONG TERM and you will achieve your financial goals.

If you are still confused by my postulations, then I suggest you try the 'commitment in a relationship approach'.

#59 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Fair enough.. B)

Volumes are massive though.  Makes me wonder who the buyers are! Millions of shares on the bid. Either shorters covering or institutions piling in.

#60 jaDEB

jaDEB

jaDEB

• 2,951 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

PS. We did not keep it long, it was suspended, thus could not sell . . . . :rolleyes:

jaDEB

I got my heebie-jeebies in a hidden bag

Oasis

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting