Photo
- - - - -

Small Caps: Which is the Next Ten Bagger?

small caps

• Please log in to reply
1114 replies to this topic

#681 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Here's mine: not sure if they're small caps though
Calgro (very exciting pipeline and work on the ground is showing great returns) - 1400c
Zeder - 760c
RBA - (If they can replicate Calgro model) 11c
Torre (strong management and building company thru acquisitions) 415c

Agree with Calgro and Torre

#682 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

Here's mine: not sure if they're small caps though<br />Calgro (very exciting pipeline and work on the ground is showing great returns) - 1400c<br />Zeder - 760c<br />RBA - (If they can replicate Calgro model) 11c<br />Torre (strong management and building company thru acquisitions) 415c

#683 PickApprentice

PickApprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

I will be the first and compete with Anthony. 

My five stock picks are: 

MRI @ 7c

CSP @ 14c

ELI @ 114c (rights issue shares)

WCC @ 50c

SHF @ 5850c

Let's see how far I get with these ;)

#684 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

Agreed. But it's irresponsible to invest ones whole portfolio in 5 Small caps. That said, my issue is more with this self promoting muppet who always claims his calls were 'spot on' , never admits he is wrong and it's just generally a bit of a tosser... According to those who know him.

Tell you what, let's each of us pick 5 stocks for the year and monitor our performance against his. I'll even bring out my monkey and dartboard for the occasion!

To be fair though, if you had bought those in equal amounts you would have ended up 56.5 % up in a pretty flat year on the JSE. You have cherry picked a few shares in hindsight.

That said, like you, I also prefer the mid to large cap space for my long term portfolio. But 10 years ago MPC, Capitec and CML would have been smaller shares - would they have been small caps? In 10 years MPC up 40X, Capitec 100x and I think CML somewhere in between.

Now I would be more than happy for my portfolio's value to double every 5 years (ex dividends) so that's only x4 in 10 years - the above companies are, of course, killing that. I am sure NPN, ASP and SAB could probably join them.

Now it's just a matter of picking them - and my guess is that small caps that produce/ service / sell low value mass consumer goods have a better chance of massive growth than business to business.

But this is a huge thumb suck with absolutely nothing backing it up - I've just been wondering lately how to pick a 10 bagger. :)

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#685 orca

orca

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

Have a look at KAP. Oil price.

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#686 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Anthony has come out with his top 5 picks... Torre, CIG, Curro, Anchor Capital and Quantum Foods

Anyone out there willing to punt a small cap?

Completely contradicts his what he had to say about quantum foods on spotlight on small caps where he recommended a sell rating for quantum and that anchor capital is overvalued - something. Peter armitage himself agrees with. At current levels CRD could be a profitable punt in light of the current MOU's.

#687 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

To be fair though, if you had bought those in equal amounts you would have ended up 56.5 % up in a pretty flat year on the JSE. You have cherry picked a few shares in hindsight.

That said, like you, I also prefer the mid to large cap space for my long term portfolio. But 10 years ago MPC, Capitec and CML would have been smaller shares - would they have been small caps? In 10 years MPC up 40X, Capitec 100x and I think CML somewhere in between.

Now I would be more than happy for my portfolio's value to double every 5 years (ex dividends) so that's only x4 in 10 years - the above companies are, of course, killing that. I am sure NPN, ASP and SAB could probably join them.

Now it's just a matter of picking them - and my guess is that small caps that produce/ service / sell low value mass consumer goods have a better chance of massive growth than business to business.

But this is a huge thumb suck with absolutely nothing backing it up - I've just been wondering lately how to pick a 10 bagger. :)

#688 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Anthony has come out with his top 5 picks... Torre, CIG, Curro, Anchor Capital and Quantum Foods<br /><br />Anyone out there willing to punt a small cap?<br />

Ahh..mr smalltalk... Here are his 2014 picks

Tor - 114%

CIG - 26%

Hud - (-3.5%)

Convergenet - 123%

CSG - 23%

So he really scores 40% at stock picking since he only picked 2 winners out of 5. Still that's probably good for a fund manager  ;)

Now compare these small caps to performance of good solid mid to large cap stocks, better quality businesses without a doubt and far lower risk than looking for a quick overnight scores that could go bust in the morning.

(52 week return)

Aspen 63%

Naspers 55%

PSG 53%

Capitec 62%

Forschini 52%

Pioneer Foods 60%

AVI 45%

Tigerbrands 42%

MediClinic 44%

Netcare 50%

Coronation 40%

I know where I'm putting my money...

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#689 Rosh

Rosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

@yusufm1 ... all are very risky shares and ones that are more for trading (I'll pass on them thank you) and LT investing, but knowing you, this is what you like and good luck with that.

So so sad that Anchor wasn't available to more people (like me) for the IPO.

PS: I'm starting to like Rhodes for the LT and seriously thinking of getting some.

I agree with Shi, I think those stocks are risky and you can stand to lose a lot if you don't know when to buy and sell. I have had Torre (TOR) and Santova (SNV) for the past year and a half and I am happy to hold for the long term and watch the share price grow. I have CSG as well which is really cheap at 1.95, however interest is not huge as most do not understand their business. Also happy to hold it and double up over the next year

#690 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

@yusufm1 ... all are very risky shares and ones that are more for trading (I'll pass on them thank you) and LT investing, but knowing you, this is what you like and good luck with that.

So so sad that Anchor wasn't available to more people (like me) for the IPO.

PS: I'm starting to like Rhodes for the LT and seriously thinking of getting some.

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#691 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

My 3 smallcaps for 2015 will have to be Kibo, MRI, and CRD. All three have important news due before the end of Q1. Holding all so have to hope for the best :P

Edited by yusufm1, 09 January 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#692 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

Anthony has come out with his top 5 picks... Torre, CIG, Curro, Anchor Capital and Quantum Foods<br /><br />Anyone out there willing to punt a small cap?<br />

#693 ponzi

ponzi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Locationcape town

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Afdawn' subsidiary Grindstone will soon announce a major transaction that will expand activities in a number of countries - inono.fm your personal radio station.

Cautionary still active but we can't wait for the announcement!   

Hawk

#694 Fleetstroke1

Fleetstroke1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

Does anyone have any views on Coal (CZA)?

The major shareholders prior to latest capital raising...

Haoha Energy International - 26.58%

M&G Investments - 19.87%

ArcelorMittal - 9.71%

Investec Asset Management - 7.07%

TMM - in process of buying in

Capital raising currently in progress 5.5 pence (GBP) = R1.00 (ZAR)

Share price 39-42 cps (ZAR)

Am I missing something?

It's a comer, buy while still cheap.

#695 Bushwakka

Bushwakka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

Does anyone have any views on Coal (CZA)?

The major shareholders prior to latest capital raising...

Haoha Energy International - 26.58%

M&G Investments - 19.87%

ArcelorMittal - 9.71%

Investec Asset Management - 7.07%

TMM - in process of buying in

Capital raising currently in progress 5.5 pence (GBP) = R1.00 (ZAR)

Share price 39-42 cps (ZAR)

Am I missing something?

#696 Mr_SA

Mr_SA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Does anyone here follow CSG?

Great company, but shareprice is so volatile at the moment :-(

#697 ajax

ajax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

Wow ADW1 you are really joint at the hip; my information is that the AGM was a non-event. To get to the AGM from JHB impossible, obviously the strategy. I am almost out at 8 cents; bought at 12 cents - bad DD.

Will take bath and move on; you happy LWV1? :ph34r:  

#698 SB45

SB45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGauteng

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:24 PM

Yip shifted it straight in to it at 159c lol :P
Took over a 30% drop on my RSG though :(

Thats heavy, lets hope Kibo makes for that loss

#699 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yusufm1, you should have told me ha ha ha, are you going into Kibo now?

Yip shifted it straight in to it at 159c lol :P
Took over a 30% drop on my RSG though :(

#700 ponzi

ponzi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Locationcape town

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Afdawn great AGM.....all resolutions passed. Board shared how they see the company going forward. 

Rebranding to Knife Capital is on the cards...... good to see new faces presenting the Knife Capital and Grindstone case. Support from a senior representative from a major financial institution shed perspective on 'need to know' information, stupid questions about the King Report was quickly addressed and swept off the table. We must trust the Board as they are closest to the action and will do what is best! Some shareholders just don't understand the nuances of an AGM and not even to mention their understanding of the KC business case.   

I hope that uninformed journalists will keep their hands off the momentum. Definitely the next BIG THING!!! 

Hawk

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting