JSE prices API

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PlatinumWealth.co.za_*

Guest_PlatinumWealth.co.za_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

Hi.

Does anyone know if the JSE or any other site has a public API or server that publishes JSE stock values ? I'm thinking of writing a mobile app to track portfolios, but I can't find an easy source of stock prices.

We are building an API where you can get 15 minute delayed data. There is data on the PlatinumWealth.co.za forum, but the api will be later this year.

As for building the app which was our original idea as well seems a bit like re-inventing the wheel given the high quality of apps out there currently; Bloomberg, Investing.com etc. (Granted this post is from 2014 I guess things changed in thr meanwhile.)

Perhaps now with ZAR X giving live prices the JSE will be forced to lower theirs?

#2 crossfader

crossfader

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

I'm surprised the JSE doesn't have coin access toilets in their building given the way they charge for price data.

Anyway, short answer is that you cannot get live JSE price data for free.  You can get 15 min delayed for free though.

#3 Kindread

Kindread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Unfortunately JSE pricing for their data feeds is slightly ridiculous, so thats out. Google Finance discontinued their Finance API awhile ago as well :(.

Seems my most viable option is to scrape a webpage ( google, sharenet or moneyweb ) for data. However scraping webpages for data means whenever the website changes their formatting, it can break my app. I'm also not sure if there's any legal implications.

So I don't think I'm going through with this :(

#4 TheLittleGuy

TheLittleGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hi.

Does anyone know if the JSE or any other site has a public API or server that publishes JSE stock values ? I'm thinking of writing a mobile app to track portfolios, but I can't find an easy source of stock prices.

Hey Kindread, Google finance has just teamed up with the JSE to provide data on the listed stocks on the JSE.

Edited by TheLittleGuy, 05 May 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#5 BloodBurner9000

BloodBurner9000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

The bloomberg app is also worth checking out. <br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9300 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#6 alsi_speculator

alsi_speculator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

Sharenet's and Moneyweb's apps are terrible. Definitely lots of room for improvement:

You can incorporate many of the features that bloomberg's app has such as RSI, MA, Bollinger, graphs for different time periods, comparison graphs, value of your portfolio etc.

But also make it just for SA markets, like sharenet, with all the spot prices, indices, warrants etc.

Good luck!

#7 Kindread

Kindread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

Awesome. Thanks.

#8 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

I want to do this more for the learning experience than anything, I'm not really trying to fill a niche :P. Although if I manage to get it going and there's features anyone would like to suggest that aren't in the other apps I'd be happy to try and include them.

https://www.jse.co.z...ket-data/equity

there's a number there you can call.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#9 Kindread

Kindread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:46 AM

I want to do this more for the learning experience than anything, I'm not really trying to fill a niche :P. Although if I manage to get it going and there's features anyone would like to suggest that aren't in the other apps I'd be happy to try and include them.

#10 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hi.

Nice idea but I can already do this using a number of apps e.g. bloomberg, moneyweb etc. not sure it is worth your time..

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#11 Kindread

Kindread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hi.

Edited by Kindread, 24 April 2014 - 10:16 PM.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting