• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 bulls

bulls

bulls

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

i dont agree with racism in any form,but government is one of the biggest culprits with ministers almost on a daily basis spewing racist rhetoric .(including NO 1)

i wont go into BBB etc etc.

i think curro is an excellent long term investment .markets often defy logic.

less yada yada more ching ching!!

#42 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

Racism rife at Curro school. Wonder about the others

Lesufi wants to review Curro’s licence http://www.bdlive.co...-curros-licence via #BusinessDay

#43 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

If you have private security or medical aid apply the same principles....What is available state side is mostly ****

Anyone need a heads up...!

#44 Immobilier

Immobilier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

I don't understand this model - neither for Advtech. Who comes first when deciding on finances - shareholders or the kids/educators? Do we really need that astroturf at XYZ school? In my mind schooling should be done on a not-for-profit model. Bulk of the money to teachers and facilities. Not sure how one aligns this with public shareholder expectations in terms of returns.

#45 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Results out for the FY and I still don't see why this is so attractive :blink:

HEPS of 17.7 cents

NAV of 679 cents

No Divvie

Edited by Shi, 17 February 2015 - 08:56 AM.

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#46 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Indeed there are many. But are they sending their kids to Curro for this?<br /><br />"Pollard said the school had been segregating the pupils according to race because white parents were withdrawing their children."<br /><br />So it's ok for black kids (who are not the average black child because their parents can afford and these black kids speak English our if their nostrils) to be segregated on race?<br />Same Curro that twice a year tells us how oversubscribed their classes are that they can't keep up with the demand?

#47 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 02 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

I know black parents who send their kids to Curro specifically to have white teachers as educators.

#48 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

Disgusting tactics by what I thought was a reputable company.<br />Pres builds a house and country comes to a standstill. Segregation at schools and it's business as usual. Thank you to those who speak out.

#49 BERT

BERT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

What worries me is the phrase "white parents take their children out of the school"
This was BEFORE this racial issue, and the segregation of the learners was a responce to try and keep the white children from leaving the school.
Big question is: why were the white parents taking the children out of this school? and how is this situation in the other Curro schools?

The only white teachers is also something to take notice of, will they be forced to employ more black teachers?

Don't know, sold a third of my shares this morning to take some profit for R36.45

#50 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

After digesting the article pretty much storm in a teacup, racially infused stories usually die off as quick as they crop up.

Interesting answer on the lack of black teachers though.

Either way agreed very poorly handled. Not surprised Mouton etc...don't wanna get involved.

#51 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

This article lets me worry, specially the part "white parents take their children out of the school""
http://www.iol.co.za...cipal-1.1811670

Very poorly handled. Raises questions about management. To try and defend such behaviour is just idiotic. They (Mouton and the CEO) should have distanced themselves from such policies and fired the principle. That would have sent a clear message. Now it comes across as if they actually support such practices and fact is that many non-white parents will reconsider any planned decision to send their kids to a Curro school, and with 60%+ students being from this demographic it could slow their enrollment. 

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#52 BERT

BERT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

This article lets me worry, specially the part "white parents take their children out of the school""
http://www.iol.co.za...cipal-1.1811670

#53 Saints

Saints

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

Curro's share price usually runs this time of the year with the year end results due mid to late Feb. shareholders get excited with a potential rights offer that we have seen from Curro in the past few years. Not sure if this will be on the cards this year but I do expect a trading statement out during the course of the month prior to the release of the results.

Updated results usually adjust the PE of the share which in Curro's case is not a bad thing

#54 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

Running very hard of late.

Buyers at these lofty heights are brave.

#55 Saints

Saints

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

not necessarily Soutie. Although their year end is 31 December, they will only come to the market with the results in February so no need to send the trading statement out now although as you point out someone may know something.

Over the past few days they have made some announcements with regard to an acquisition and an expansion plan which may explain the volumes. The share price has not moved much during the year as I have noted only movement when the results come out in Feb and as in the past a rights issue announced.

#56 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

Expecting a trading statement any day now.

Volume today suggests someone knows something somewhere somehow.... :D

#57 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

The thing that pleases me the most is they are not reliant on growth absolute. They will eventually plateau & pay great dividends.

Agreed difficult to find fault. 

#58 flexbender

flexbender

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Excellent set of results. Again.

I've been preventing myself from jumping on the bandwagon of another 'flash in the pan' type of investment that COH initially appeared to be. It ran so hard for so long so very early since listing. Didn't like it.

But a while ago I found myself searching for a reason why NOT to invest in them!

Nothing

You can't find a flaw in their business model, argue with the quality of the management AND now look at the results that they keep producing. Over and over.

Makes up about 10% of my portfolio since a week ago.

LT buy.

#59 Saints

Saints

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

Clever move to announce an acquisition as the share goes ex rights. A little weakness initially in the share yesterday but now it has bounced back and to my surprise the NPL is trading over the difference between the share price and the rights offer price. Someone somewhere is not doing the maths.

#60 Saints

Saints

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

My experience with rights offers in the past is that share price dilution though logic tells you does not have an effect on the price of the NPL. Guys with NPL s and who want to dispose of them will push the price as high as possible. You will probably find the Curro share price will only drop slightly and the NPL will trade close to the difference between the 2.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting