129 replies to this topic

#81 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Make that 15% in the last 30min! It's going like a runaway train man... all aboard. :)

Paranoid Android

#82 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

Well played ST. I was a bit too miserly with this one, shouldve entered earlier. We will see 1000 by end of the week I'm sure

Cancel that, seems like a complete retrace is on the cards!

#83 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Share just jumped up to 860 after SENS announcement @ 3pm
+7% ;)

Well played ST. I was a bit too miserly with this one, shouldve entered earlier. We will see 1000 by end of the week I'm sure

#84 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Share just jumped up to 860 after SENS announcement @ 3pm

+7% ;)

Paranoid Android

#85 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Make that 1100c so I can remove the thorn in my side... :rolleyes:

Paranoid Android

#86 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

It looks like the worst is over. Whoever was dumping did it very irresponsibly. But thank you whoever you are (some clever portfolio manager I assume!). Now we can start moving back to 1000c

#87 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Soletrader, the point I make is buying into increasing value as opposed to buying into diminishing value, I cut losses when shares go South and rather latch onto a stock that is going places, I dumped Steinhoff on this basis and bought Rockcastle which has delivered 12% in three weeks, don't tie up capital in stocks going nowhere.

@ Merlin I actually bought Abil at 50c. It is suspended but Deutsche Bank has put out a note valuing the stock at 300c upon relisting. May take a while though.

For me investing is about upside return versus downside risk. I start building a position data level where I feel comfortable. And that was below 900c. And I added at 800 and at 700 and am currently bid gtc at 750. Nothing has changed in PNC except for a poor trading statement. Now we don't know if its due to a corporate boikot of the company, a poor economy or a board that has decided to write off as much in this period essentially cleaning up the business. But at 160c EPS I would say a PE of 6 is justified given all the crap giving a value of say1000c. The ROE is still 20% which justifies a price in excess of the book value under normal circumstances.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#88 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

@ Merlin I actually bought Abil at 50c. It is suspended but Deutsche Bank has put out a note valuing the stock at 300c upon relisting. May take a while though.

For me investing is about upside return versus downside risk. I start building a position data level where I feel comfortable. And that was below 900c. And I added at 800 and at 700 and am currently bid gtc at 750. Nothing has changed in PNC except for a poor trading statement. Now we don't know if its due to a corporate boikot of the company, a poor economy or a board that has decided to write off as much in this period essentially cleaning up the business. But at 160c EPS I would say a PE of 6 is justified given all the crap giving a value of say1000c. The ROE is still 20% which justifies a price in excess of the book value under normal circumstances.

#89 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Soletrader, Surely to have bought Pinnacle at 7.65 is better value than 8.75?

Say you were buying ABL all the way down to the cleaners @ 31c, that would not represent value surely.

BTW I am an investor not a trader - horses for courses they say

@Merlin. The difference between a trader and an investor is that the former focusses on momentum. I focus on value. Different strokes for different folks I guess !

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#90 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

Or long!? ... pulled back to 11% :lol:

Paranoid Android

#91 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

Took some more at 800 and some at 700

#92 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Pinnacle share in free fall... down 22% so far this morning :o

Hope someone is short on this one..

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#93 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

Pinnacle share in free fall... down 22% so far this morning :o

Paranoid Android

#94 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

@Merlin. The difference between a trader and an investor is that the former focusses on momentum. I focus on value. Different strokes for different folks I guess !

#95 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

ST the accepted rule of thumb is never to buy a falling stock, only buy rising -

Initial position taken at 875c and I will build on it as it falls. Thank goodness I followed my own analysis and held back on entering earlier, although I was tempted! Recovery is however going to be slow, so more of a longer term investment at current levels

#96 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

Such a nice warm fuzzy feeling being able to say "I told you so", so who fancies to venture the bottom / re-entry level, basically a sound business contaminated by a bunch of bottom feeders for management, PE of 6 starts makes the stock start look attractive again - Share holders should send management on an integrity crash course.

What is significant is that Pinnacle closed below its 12 month low of 1100 today, it shall probably drop further to test another support level.

#97 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Initial position taken at 875c and I will build on it as it falls. Thank goodness I followed my own analysis and held back on entering earlier, although I was tempted! Recovery is however going to be slow, so more of a longer term investment at current levels

#98 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

Below 900c. Entering buying territory. I am taking a small position

I see more downside in the next week. Will buy only once it starts trading below its NAV though...

#99 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:27 PM

Below 900c. Entering buying territory. I am taking a small position

#100 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

This one going down as well, management confidence shot so I wouldn't be surprised if it went the same way as African Bank, except no bailout but perhaps a buyout then ;)

yep. good short

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting