• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

I am most probably totally wrong.  Maybe the Fouries are estute wealth managers and Baobab will be absorbed into Anchor eventually. 

#42 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

The Baobab website does state the following:

"Baobab Capital is owned by entrepreneurs Arnold Fourie and Elandre Fourie who were also the founding members of the Pinnacle Technology Group. Arnold is known to be a very astute businessman with an eye for wealth enhancing opportunities. Supported also by shareholders Anchor Capital, headed by Peter Armitage who leads an experienced investment team and is the fund manager on our unit trust funds."

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#43 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

This is interesting Shi

But sadly Anchor's prelisting statement doesn't mention Baobab anywhere as an investment.  So is Armitage invested in Baobab in his personal capacity? And if so, it must surely be a breach of some corporate governance?

#44 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

I did some digging on this and came up with the following:

- Anchor is a shareholder of Baobab

- The Baobab website does mention Peter several times.

- The website is very limited and I didn't see when this company was started.

- LinkedIn says they were started in 2010 and has 1-10 employees.

- On the % of this portfolio, remember that the share price has risen dramatically since listing and this could have affected the size relative to the fund

- A Moneyweb article states the following "Update: Note that the Anchor BCI Flexible Opportunity Fund has changed its name to Baobab BCI Flexible Opportunity Fund"

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#45 SoleTrader

SoleTrader

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

A mate of mine has highlighted this factsheet to me. See the website www.baobab-capital.co.za. Seems as if the founders of Pinnacle have formed a fund management company and one Peter Armitage is the fund manager. I have attached the factsheet. And his biggest holding is 12% of Anchor!

So a couple of concerns spring to mind
1. Is the Anchor price being manipulated?
2. Does the FSB allow for the CEO of a listed invetment management company to be the fund manager for a competitors business?

I don't like this and will be selling my shares

#46 cdb999

cdb999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

That's what you all thought at 370!!!!<br /><br />Sent from my D5503 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#47 brads

brads

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

People definitely going to get hurt with current share price levels if buying.

I totally agree...but then again, I was thinking the same at R4! Complete gamble at the moment.

#48 Mr_SA

Mr_SA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

People definitely going to get hurt with current share price levels if buying.

#49 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Still get a bit annoyed at them for how the IPO was handled, in that it was given to "friends and family".

#50 chrisp

chrisp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Can't believe how this share is still going up.... Amazing what the popularity does

#51 cdb999

cdb999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

Mmm and I got out too early. Haha<br /><br />Sent from my D5503 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#52 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

Anchor... Missed the boat on this one.

Up another 5.3% this morning. :mellow:

Paranoid Android

#53 JLFB

JLFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

Opened at R3 up to R3.35. I luckily managed to get some through private placing at R2. Any views on this share?

Sold at R4.50.

#54 Newbie-Wan Kenobi

Newbie-Wan Kenobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Time to short Anchor @ 4.20-4.30?

#55 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Might drift lower after the hype has settled similar to Advanced Health

#56 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Opened at R3 up to R3.35. I luckily managed to get some through private placing at R2. Any views on this share?

Yep, safe bet at R2.. as with all new listing I'll have a look at it after the hype and maybe take a punt, R3.70 bit heavy for my liking at this stage..

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#57 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Got in at 370.hope I'm not too late. <br /><br />Sent from my D5503 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

smart money was in at 2. bit of risk me thinks at 3+ unless you willing to hold awhile. expect some volatility. good luck

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#58 cdb999

cdb999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Got in at 370.hope I'm not too late. <br /><br />Sent from my D5503 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#59 JLFB

JLFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting