9 replies to this topic

#1 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

RMI owns around 25% of Discovery/ 25% of MMI and most of Outsurance (with their Ozzie business starting to do well)

But ja - Also thought about Aspen - great company with excellent prospects - but I their DY is just terrible. If DY was not an issue then it would be a shoe in for me - maybe also NPN and possibly DSY. Not sure where SAB is going to go in the next few years.

I am surprised more do not rated Mr Price - I think their products and know how suit the "africa expansion" down to a T. 

Mr Price is a bloody excellent company. I see them all over Africa and people love them. I see they also trying to push up the value chain now with their more upmarket 'MRP' store. Latest results show they do around 90% in cash sales.

Sorry, read you earlier post too fast and missed it was RMI instead of RMB.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#2 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

RMI owns around 25% of Discovery/ 25% of MMI and most of Outsurance (with their Ozzie business starting to do well)

But ja - Also thought about Aspen - great company with excellent prospects - but I their DY is just terrible. If DY was not an issue then it would be a shoe in for me - maybe also NPN and possibly DSY. Not sure where SAB is going to go in the next few years.

I am surprised more do not rated Mr Price - I think their products and know how suit the "africa expansion" down to a T. 

#3 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

If someone (that you like!) wanted to get into shares for the long term - what 5 shares would you recommend? 

Mine, of course, would have a slight dividend angle - but with a bit of growth as well and covering a few sectors. I also like "solid" companies with decent growth prospects - maybe slightly boring, but should give steady, decent returns.

Mr Price,

Coronation,

MTN,

Hyprop,

Rand Merchant Insurance

I don't know much about Hyprop or RMB so would take your first three and add Aspen and SAB instead. Both are defensive and both should have good growth in the future (although SAB been a bit sluggish lately)

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#4 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

When is a good time to get into Attacq?<br />And when will Mr. Price pull back? <br />

#5 supapola

supapola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

ATT
CFR
SAC
SHF
ZED

#6 Mr.Balls

Mr.Balls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

My top 5 = 60% of portfolio

NPN
APN
DSY
BTI
CFR

#7 flexbender

flexbender

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:21 PM

good thread....

I own 25 local shares and these 5 make up about 50% of my portfolio:

REM

NPN

SHF

APN

REI

CCO, ZED, ADI, GPL

(personal favorites but not for "everyone")

#8 grumpy old man

grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

I would include a healthy amount of rand-hedge counters

SAB

BATS

Richemont CFR

CML

Bidvest

Edited by grumpy old man, 17 November 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#9 vuilhond

vuilhond

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Mtn remgro shoprite famous brands zeder

#10 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

If someone (that you like!) wanted to get into shares for the long term - what 5 shares would you recommend? 

Mine, of course, would have a slight dividend angle - but with a bit of growth as well and covering a few sectors. I also like "solid" companies with decent growth prospects - maybe slightly boring, but should give steady, decent returns.

Mr Price,

Coronation,

MTN,

Hyprop,

Rand Merchant Insurance

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting