Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

PPC finally kicking into gear :)

#102 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

For what it's worth I started (1st Time) with R50k blew it in 4mths....Reasons basic novice mistakes

1. Position sizing

2. NOT understanding the extent of LEVERAGE....!

3. Not being emotionally ready

4. Over trading...big one for me that one.

5. Research..... well not doing enough

Those were my main ones there was others but the above were the catalysts to the rest.

R40k is not enough...! Plain & simple trading costs will eat into your capital significantly from early on forcing you to need bigger returns.

Minimum R150k anything less does not allow you to ride out a few losing trades...... which you will have.

As for paper trading.... your call..... skin in the game is a big factor.

Look forward to it also as it is exciting.

Best of luck.

Soutie

Anyone need a heads up...!

#103 cypher

cypher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Tr.

eeeeiiiiissshhhhh! Trying to follow some of the experts on the alsi forum but darn......... way over my head. Where can one find a manual for all the jargon please. Also any recommendation on some good reading for dummies?

Wise words from Bandido.  You'd do well to listen.  Do not be intimidated by the so-called experts on this forum.  I've been around here lurking since 2008 and as far as I'm concerned it's all hot air.  Moon watchers, back slapping, agony aunts, cult leaders who create their own spin-off forums, pump-and-dump experts (thankfully not any around anymore), gamblers, etc.  You name it, this forum has got it or had it.

There is so much FREE information about - it's scary.  I've been in this game (TA) for 27 years and have finally realised that the KISS system works.  Simple is better.

Anyway, here are a couple of channels on Youtube that are useful for free education.  Invest in a good data plan, it's essential these days.

Sasha Evdakov: https://www.youtube....czMkNh67X2IYMrA

Perfect Stock Alert: https://www.youtube....fZaWEDPYrowYujQ

Tom Willard: https://www.youtube....W3SxVlrratz3y4Q

Jason Stapleton: https://www.youtube....QzGz4-nfl6XLEHQ

This list is not exhaustive, just indicative of what you can get.  

As far as books are concerned, a couple have been mentioned already.  I'd add "Trading for a Living" by Dr Alexander Elder.  I've got the first publication, but I think there has been a re-edition.

Arm yourself with knowledge and a good stomach.  You'll need it.

Eat like an elephant, **** like a bird

#104 bullet

bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

Bullet

If you take no other advice PLEASE HEED THIS WARNING. Educate yourself, DO NOT TRADE with real money for at least 1 to 2 years.

Trade with money you can/will loose. Get a methodology of your own. Do trade only 1% of capital at ALL times. PATIENCE. Read Mark Douglas book Trading in the Zone, Jesse Livermore's book Trading rules (you can download both). LISTEN TO NO ONE . Trust me, it looks easy, IT AIN'T. If I were you, I would rather leave NOW or concentrate on what you do know best

And of course you will need a minimum of R40 000.00 to start

Thanks B.

Pretty much my strategy at this point.

#105 Guest_Bandido_*

Guest_Bandido_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

Forgot to mention, learn Candle Patterns, Test and retest YOUR system, Head and shoulder and IHS patterns etc.etc.etc

#106 Guest_Bandido_*

Guest_Bandido_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Bullet

If you take no other advice PLEASE HEED THIS WARNING. Educate yourself, DO NOT TRADE with real money for at least 1 to 2 years.

Trade with money you can/will loose. Get a methodology of your own. Do trade only 1% of capital at ALL times. PATIENCE. Read Mark Douglas book Trading in the Zone, Jesse Livermore's book Trading rules (you can download both). LISTEN TO NO ONE . Trust me, it looks easy, IT AIN'T. If I were you, I would rather leave NOW or concentrate on what you do know best

And of course you will need a minimum of R40 000.00 to start

Edited by Bandido, 29 July 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#107 bullet

bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

Yo Bullet

My situation is in fact much the same as yours man. I also have a similar portfolio to you.
What you have slightly missed out on/should consider getting into is:

BAT (Brait) - When the price comes down a bit
SAP (Sappi) - Great outlook for the rest of the year

I think its better to pick a smaller group of shares that you completely know/understand, rather than to dabble in shares that you think you know, but in reality are going nowhere and will hurt you in the short to medium term..Perhaps ride some ups and downs on certain shares that you aren't so familiar with, with CFDs, when the opportunity presents itself, but never dive head first into the unknown based on speculation. You play with fire and you're going to get burnt. Keep up the trading though. Remember that it's time in the market and not timing the market ;)

Have a good one

Thanks Tr.

eeeeiiiiissshhhhh! Trying to follow some of the experts on the alsi forum but darn......... way over my head. Where can one find a manual for all the jargon please. Also any recommendation on some good reading for dummies?

#108 Ninja

Ninja

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

Anybody nibbling at Lonmin at R11.00? Looks ripe for a strong bounce?
1hr Bollinger bands tightening up nicely, weekly RSI looking extremely overdone and volume indicating capitulation?

Edited by Ninja, 29 July 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#109 traderRick

traderRick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationwestern cape

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

Yo Bullet

My situation is in fact much the same as yours man. I also have a similar portfolio to you.

What you have slightly missed out on/should consider getting into is:

BAT (Brait) - When the price comes down a bit

SAP (Sappi) - Great outlook for the rest of the year

I think its better to pick a smaller group of shares that you completely know/understand, rather than to dabble in shares that you think you know, but in reality are going nowhere and will hurt you in the short to medium term..Perhaps ride some ups and downs on certain shares that you aren't so familiar with, with CFDs, when the opportunity presents itself, but never dive head first into the unknown based on speculation. You play with fire and you're going to get burnt. Keep up the trading though. Remember that it's time in the market and not timing the market ;)

Have a good one

#110 Bits

Bits

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

The wall has been broken!

Would somebody please take the damn trowel away from whoever keeps on rebuilding the wall?

#111 bullet

bullet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:18 PM

Hey guys and girls! As a total roofie to this game i have been following all your comments very religiously. Have put together a small portfolio over the last couple of months and this is what it consists of: npn, dsy, mrf, lab. Made some nice pocket money on p&p, telkom and sasol but now i am riding on the 4 i mentioned. Would appreciate some usefull insights / expert forum opinions on the road ahead, to compare with my assesments.

Again thanks to all you guys and your comments......... its been a great learning curve for me.

#112 Mr.Balls

Mr.Balls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

The wall has been broken!

#113 Queen B

Queen B

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDurban

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

PPC breaching the great wall again

So frustrating!

hope it can stay there and set a new resistance level

GO PPC. go!

#114 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg (RSA)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:06 AM

Whats happened to PilotPilot? Gone like the wind...

Good question.

Hey Pilot, are you still out there?

#115 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:25 AM

No Spike... Sadly

Yip there's been a large seller over the past 2 week but I had thought he would let it go today...

no worries, will have to just hold a bit longer. If COH do pull out now, there will be a drop I think, so I've set a stop loss

#116 Mr_SA

Mr_SA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Whats happened to PilotPilot? Gone like the wind...

#117 Mr_SA

Mr_SA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:23 AM

COH confirms that they are the ones negotiating! Will look to sell on today's spike

No Spike... Sadly

Edit: My Bad... I thought you meant spike on COH, but you meant ADH.

Edited by Mr_SA, 15 July 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#118 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:02 AM

Not exactly a CFD trade but ADH is definitely a trending share. Bought today at 1188 for short term trade in hope that a good potential offer for the company is in the making....(after today's cautionary)

COH confirms that they are the ones negotiating! Will look to sell on today's spike

#119 Queen B

Queen B

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • LocationDurban

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

PPC playing with the wall of China again :D

#120 Ninja

Ninja

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

If it means anything NAV is around R69...

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting