33 replies to this topic

#21 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:09 PM

you can throw in EOH, Choppies, Rolfes, Grand Parade, Resiliant,Pepkor, Blu , Aveng, Group Five +++++++++ into that lot

Trading is one of the only fields where genuine con artists/scammers will urge you to “be careful of con artists/scammers.”

#22 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

buy low sell high - thats all there is to it.t

If that was so simple.

Aspen  R360.00 high , but low....how low? R300 , R250 , R200  must be good entry  ----------------R175

MTN  R225.00, R200.00 R150.00 , 125.00, R100.00 must be good entry.......................................R70.00

Steinhoff   R90.00 , R60.00   R20.00 must be good entry , R10.00 sell the house, R5.00 .................R1.75

Buying low is easy, how low is the difficult part...

Actually more money made buying high and selling higher as you ride the momentum

Trading is one of the only fields where genuine con artists/scammers will urge you to “be careful of con artists/scammers.”

#23 Brab

Brab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info Polly. Yeah, I know it is not as simple as it sounds,but even if you do all your homework, you might still be surprised. A bit of gut feeling is also reqiured, I think. And like they say the more you practise.. the luckier you get.😊 anther important point...dont put all your eggs in one basket.

#24 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:28 PM

Trading is a mugs game. The cards are stacked against you. 7 out of 10 will lose their shirt and never go back. 

You hit the nail on the head. and this is exactly what i see on the SNH thread. 

I actually warned them if they do not take care of their investments/losses, their dad will have to take care of them.

Simple but effective warning.

#25 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

as long as you don't sell at a loss, I think, I will be ok.

Typical new investors way of thinking.  So if the companys circumstances change overnight, will you marry this share as the price drops and drops? For life or until the price goes to zero?

If every investor had that philosophy , we all will be millionaires and investing every last cent in the stock exchange.

Dangerous way of thinking/investing

I said it before and i will say it again.  Before you intend to invest in a  company you must know the money you are prepared to lose to walk away. Its not your wive you investing in...

Edited by Polly, 06 October 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#26 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

https://trading-online.co.za/

Its pretty old but at least gives you some indication.

I use IG for trading ( keep my funds to a minimum -  make sure withdraw regularly) and PSG for investing.

PSG costs to buy and sell shares :

if u buy R10000.00 value costs r +-R150 all inclusive (+-1.5%)

if u sell R10000.00 value shares costs r +-125.00 all inclusive (+-1.25%)

As per website brokers fees ( excluding extras)

Below R25,000   .9%

R25,000 to R100,000  .85 %

R100,000 to R250,000   .75%

R250,000 to R1,000,000   .5%

Above R1,000,000   .45%

minimum brokerage fee is R98.00 but all above can be negotiated. Still need to add vat, stt, strate fees and proctection levy to above but minimal and standard cost by all broking firms

monthly charge of R40.00 per month. This includes live prices but no live feed. Live feed i think about +-100.00 extra per month

With all due respect, this website is promoted by sharenet so i think one need to look at them as brokers as well but i dont know their costs.

Edited by Polly, 06 October 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#27 Brab

Brab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Snip, that is what I indent to do, even if your timing is not perfect, as long as you don't sell at a loss, I think, I will be ok. Even the experts get it wrong sometimes.😊 I will check it out.

#28 Snippit

Snippit

Plebeian Tribune

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • LocationGondwanaland

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

Invest smart - buy low sell high - thats all there is to it. If you know that you can do that then go to https://satrix.co.za/ for lowest possible cost and put yourself in charge. If no clue then you need to leap into an act of faith and then pay fees for advice plus fees for management plus admin fees plus access fees. Theres a lot of mouths to be fed in the financial services industry including marketing and sponsorships. Take Investec S.A. where all but one of their directors are sales people. These people are very expensive, because they made themselves expensive. Someone must pay. Join the queue. Trading is a mugs game. The cards are stacked against you. 7 out of 10 will lose their shirt and never go back. The brokers need punters so they have recruiting of replacement mugs campaigns, like this.
  1. Trusting strangers on an anonymous chat forum can be a risky business. Even more risky than the stock market.
  2. I have tried to warn the vulnerable, being those without adequate savvy: e.g.: https://swrict.blogspot.com/2018/11/sharechat-warning.html
  3. Vultures circle hereabouts. Give them control and say goodbye to your money. 
  4. Learning links: http://swrict.blogspot.com/2018/11/trader-links.html

#29 Brab

Brab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:52 PM

Thanks JK. I work full time so can't trade effectively, but the plan is to learn so that I can suppliment my pension. 😜 I really enjoy trading but work mostly on my gut feeling- I know not good- but I feel that there are so many variables, you just can't make it a science. Thanks for the info.😊

#30 JK001

JK001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

Need to ask following questions:

1. are you an investor or trader?

2. do u want to trade in local and/ or foreign equities?

3. is cost of the at utmost importance or quality of platform?

4.Do you want to trade online immediately at price available to buy or sell? IE hit button and trade done in a second

5. Do you want a regulated or unregulated broker? 

6. Do you need a broker who have an excellent research team and provide daily info on SA markets and shares or just need someone to buy and sell

Once you decided on that , then plenty of brokers to choose from

Good points Polly are making.  Most importantly and most people miss this.  Do you want to Trade or Invest, if you want to play in both, best you get more than 1 platform.

I use the following 2:

EE for investments - 0,25% commission if you are not part of loyalty program - 0% if you are part of loyalty program.  That is a score, but prices are 15 minutes delayed.  Disclaimer - Polly has concerns about EE regulation, I don't - we settled and moved on.

So, I also use Nedbank private wealth investments - R70 / month for real-time ticker prices.  UX sucks, but prices are real-time.  If you feel like the occasional trade that is OK.  As I said it the UX sucks, so you cannot make 'quick' trades.

I've heard PSG is good - bit expensive for some, and depending if you do it as a hobby or a living. 

As Polly says many of these offer research, and don't believe everything you find in their research.  'i.e. go google top picks to invest for SA in 2018 and look how those shares did' - If you find they were 50% accurate - hold, otherwise call your fund manager to put your RA in 5 year maturity investments' - (just my honest opinion).

Also, some offer Robotic Investors - As an IT expert I can tell you their algorithms are by far not there yet.  I've studied that quite closely and the ones I looked at has worse returns than 32day deposits.  Some even made losses.  Their claim to fame is that it takes out emotion out of investing - sentiment (emotion) plays a massive role in stock prices.

Edited by JK001, 05 October 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#31 Brab

Brab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

Thank you all so much for your advice. Much appreciared.

#32 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Hi all, I have two trading platforms Saxo and Easy Equities. I find EE very user friendly and affordable. On Saxo the fees are killing me. Would it be a good idea to move all to EE?

Need to ask following questions:

1. are you an investor or trader?

2. do u want to trade in local and/ or foreign equities?

3. is cost of the at utmost importance or quality of platform?

4.Do you want to trade online immediately at price available to buy or sell? IE hit button and trade done in a second

5. Do you want a regulated or unregulated broker? 

6. Do you need a broker who have an excellent research team and provide daily info on SA markets and shares or just need someone to buy and sell

Once you decided on that , then plenty of brokers to choose from

#33 Ram85

Ram85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:54 AM

EE is great and cheap, but please be aware that they are for investing and not trading. They have pretty big delays and as such you're not guaranteed a share price when buying or selling. You can also not set Buy and Sell limits.

#34 Brab

Brab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

Hi all, I have two trading platforms Saxo and Easy Equities. I find EE very user friendly and affordable. On Saxo the fees are killing me. Would it be a good idea to move all to EE?

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting