warnerbroers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yo W,

That v wave to complete 5 of wave bigger 1 you mentioned!So bigger wave 2 down could get nasty.....

Macd's certainly agrees with you!

A

a 400 point drop?...what do you think.....nastier the better  :)

#17422 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words A! Appreciate the kind words to a newbie poster.

You are spot on, I have read Reminiscences from cover to cover more times than I can count.

I have been following the forum and seen some interesting things. I decided to comment purely because I see the mistakes I made that people are still making.

I have made all the classical ones:

·         Overitrading

·         Too much exposure

·         Revenge trading

·         Trading against the trend etc etc etc

But the biggest lesson I learnt was from Livermore, when he says that he made the most money sitting on his position, catching the big waves. This ONE thing is the most important lesson I have learnt. If you sit on the big wave and are comfortable with it, the small ripples just add some excitement. You don't have to trade every day to make money.

I have used Elliot Waves but I sometimes have difficult matching the waves so I am yet to master this.

If you haven’t seen it yet, youtube 1987 Investing Documentary. One of the greats!  :) 

Good you eat and sleep the advice from that book....100mil strong in the early 1900's and his own money!!But what I respect the most of him is he never gave up, lost everything 7 times but refused to let his dream go and at the end became a legend in speculation, therefore it is an art and can me mastered!

Lost a lot of money when I started and tried so many strategy's, from following the Aussie dollar to oil, using cycles and following other analysts but at the end it does not help if you understand why she is doing what she is doing, especially the TOP40 as it is commodity related and can be very volatile!

Don't know if you follow Tony Caldaro but is worth following that man, in the end my chart is still my number one indicator but I'm using his Elliott wave terminology on our market and it works, together with applying the sitting tight rule and having knowledge on candles, bollingerbands, moving averages etc one can ride the waves within, but still focusing on the bigger ones!

His site is http://www.caldaro.wordpress.com/ and give updates every night and weekend!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#17423 Wingnut

Wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

You are spot on, I have read Reminiscences from cover to cover more times than I can count.

I have been following the forum and seen some interesting things. I decided to comment purely because I see the mistakes I made that people are still making.

·         Overitrading

But the biggest lesson I learnt was from Livermore, when he says that he made the most money sitting on his position, catching the big waves. This ONE thing is the most important lesson I have learnt. If you sit on the big wave and are comfortable with it, the small ripples just add some excitement. You don't have to trade every day to make money.

I have used Elliot Waves but I sometimes have difficult matching the waves so I am yet to master this.

If you haven’t seen it yet, youtube 1987 Investing Documentary. One of the greats!  :) 

Thanks for the post. Im guilty of all 4 points raised despite having read all of the classics at least once. Even have the Livermore audio in the car I think. Nothing wrong with revisiting the logic offered in these books.

#17424 sequoia

sequoia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Assume you have read Reminiscence of a Stock Operator, cause your strategy is spot on and where the big money lies, well done!

Could use more input from guys like you!

But with your 'trading against the trend' I fully agree, most of my losses came from shorts, very dangerous especially in a liquidity driven market like we have, but then the drops is just as nasty! :ph34r:

Do you use Elliott waves? Must say opened up a whole new world for me, at least now one knows where we are and the size of the pullbacks one can expect!

A

·         Overitrading

Edited by sequoia, 15 July 2014 - 02:48 PM.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent – John Maynard Keynes

#17425 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

approaching iv of wave 1 (small iv) or maybe we've just hit it as i type....now up to v to complete wave 1 of 5?

Yo W,

That v wave to complete 5 of wave bigger 1 you mentioned!So bigger wave 2 down could get nasty.....

Macd's certainly agrees with you!

A

#17426 sequoia

sequoia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

My problem is when trading CFD's I cant absorb or stomach a 2.5% reversal and still sit tight on my longs unless I play extremely small. 5 to 10% will equate to MANY thousands of Rands which could prompt me to jump off the 9th floor balcony onto the devils fork fence. I have seriously considered (unsuccessfully) accumulating longs by holding on to one or two teeny weeny longs through "the valley of the shadow of death" out the other side then doing the same through the next dip but my head tells me a good correction could see my longs in the red for a Loooong time.

I see the predicament but what about looking at average volatility of a stock, index etc. If a stock is twice as volatile, have half the exposure of your average trade. If half as volatile, your notional is twice the average size. I for one love stable companies that I can take large leverages exposures that grind higher but don't move massively up or down.

This isn't a new concept. Look up a man called Richard Dennis and Turtle Trading. When I first started trading I looked purely at notional exposures, which was an error on my part. I now am more interested in average true range and the like.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent – John Maynard Keynes

#17427 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

I fully agree, I also would never have thought we would be where we are now. I have been 'lucky' enough to catch most of the bull so far but that is through risk management more than balls. I trade longer terms swings so am prepared to trade in a direction that allows the 5 to 10% corrections to happen every so often. This allows me to not get shaken off the bull. 

I prefer to spend my resources looking for great entry points onto the primary trend rather than looking for counter trend trades. This lesson I had to learn the hard way. It negates most of the behavioral biases that I have.

By the way thanks for the great charts and TA Argento!

Assume you have read Reminiscence of a Stock Operator, cause your strategy is spot on and where the big money lies, well done!

Could use more input from guys like you!

But with your 'trading against the trend' I fully agree, most of my losses came from shorts, very dangerous especially in a liquidity driven market like we have, but then the drops is just as nasty! :ph34r:

Do you use Elliott waves? Must say opened up a whole new world for me, at least now one knows where we are and the size of the pullbacks one can expect!

A

#17428 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

i have 46231 and low on J200 was 46278...

that sounds about right, what are you looking for. 

#17429 Motion Picture

Motion Picture

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Nobody knew this thing would have run so high as she did and currently do...hope you caught the BIIIIG wave!!?

A

Yea A...my account looking super healthy...3 of my 5 longs now in green. I must say, I find contrarian trades very profitable - with good risk management. They make it easy to ride the "biiig wave"! :P

You better know when to hold on, know when to walk away and know when to run!

#17430 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

i have 46231 and low on J200 was 46278...

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#17431 Casenova

Casenova

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

The market is watching you my friend! Post your intention to go short on the forum, then buy kitchen sink longs without saying a word. :D

LMFAO, I also feel as if there is hidden cameras in my office sometimes...

#17432 Wingnut

Wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

I fully agree, I also would never have thought we would be where we are now. I have been 'lucky' enough to catch most of the bull so far but that is through risk management more than balls. I trade longer terms swings so am prepared to trade in a direction that allows the 5 to 10% corrections to happen every so often. This allows me to not get shaken off the bull. 

I prefer to spend my resources looking for great entry points onto the primary trend rather than looking for counter trend trades. This lesson I had to learn the hard way. It negates most of the behavioral biases that I have.

By the way thanks for the great charts and TA Argento!

My problem is when trading CFD's I cant absorb or stomach a 2.5% reversal and still sit tight on my longs unless I play extremely small. 5 to 10% will equate to MANY thousands of Rands which could prompt me to jump off the 9th floor balcony onto the devils fork fence. I have seriously considered (unsuccessfully) accumulating longs by holding on to one or two teeny weeny longs through "the valley of the shadow of death" out the other side then doing the same through the next dip but my head tells me a good correction could see my longs in the red for a Loooong time.

#17433 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

i need someone to have a look that is trading with IG - what was the lowest today from 9am? anyone please!!!

#17434 Dallas

Dallas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

46231, 46237...

#17435 Casenova

Casenova

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

i need someone to have a look that is trading with IG - what was the lowest today from 9am? anyone please!!!

46231 on the mini contract. Why?

#17436 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

stops tripped on contracts for the day, still holding some long at 500 + points, will hold that till Friday, if it drops a reasonable amount will jump back in, spectator for now. 

#17437 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#17438 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

Increasing US 10 yr rate slows markets just a tad... well until > 4% or so...

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#17439 Casenova

Casenova

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Just got the latest...FYI

Attached Files

#17440 Wingnut

Wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Yes Wingnut at least i am constant in going the wrong way some good advice go opposite of me and make money

The market is watching you my friend! Post your intention to go short on the forum, then buy kitchen sink longs without saying a word. :D

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting