501 replies to this topic

#301 Moonraker

Moonraker

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationGeorge

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) will hold a press conference today (Sunday, 10 August) at 16:00 to announce measures to be taken with regard to African Bank Limited.

The press conference will take place at the SARB Conference Centre in Pretoria.      :mellow:

#302 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:34 PM

I was thinking earlier today of the PIC or CML "bailing" ABIL out. BUT to do this they would probably do a private equity deal of sorts for example buy the shares they don't own for 10c and take it private effectively owning 100% of ABIL.

It would not be worth the money that they put in to save ABIL otherwise as it would not be worth the while for them otherwise.

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#303 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:16 PM

there might be some sort of hype next week before it tumbles again. When this does happen get out<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#304 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

I bought at R2.50, it's now sitting at 31cents. Any advice on whether I should cut my losses or wait on it?

I'm certainly not looking to make anything at all, but would like to salvage as much as I can.

#305 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

I bought at R2.50, it's now sitting at 31cents. Any advice on whether I should cut my losses or wait on it?

#306 stoffels

stoffels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Agreed... If any help does come, it will have to come from the PIC and CML... And I can't see CML forking out any more.

No, I think the equity holders will play hard ball, and compared to what they have already lost they will right off the small amount they have left rather than throw in more good money after bad. 

I think the focus should rather be on what the bond holders will do. Many of them held abil paper in money market funds which they cant afford to realize a loss in these funds. They will make compromises to try and avoid as bigger haircut as possible. 

The issue at the moment is that all there funding has dried up and everyone has lost confidence - both equity and bond holders - to put up more money. 

Like HBD mentioned, ABIL is not a deposit taking institution. This means they can't suffer from a run on the bank, like any other bank in their position would. They had matched liability and funding but because of the lack of confidence they can't roll any of the debt any more and the funding dries up and they find themselves in the current position they are.

What is needed is a big balance sheet backing this business - think OML - if they had to pick up the equity (at basically zero) they wouldn't even need to fill the R8bn hole themselves. Watch what debt holders will do if they can pick up high yielding paper that is basically backed by OML credit risk. There funding issue would be sorted. Abil has the widest footprint which could be value to the right player.

Or alternatively someone with a high risk appetite - think Christo Wiese - could pick up the business for nothing, or alternatively could even be rolled into something like Shoprite. I think if someone had the balls and the ability to bring back confidence to this business (read funding) they could have a very profitable turn around in 3-5 years. 

The focus should be on what sort of agreement the bond holders can come to with a possible equity player to avoid taking the haircuts that are coming there way.

#307 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Agreed. But A state takeover will mean a complete restructure of the business and service offerings. Abil as we currently know it will no longer exist that is for sure. Will have to wait and see.<br /><br />Goliath - http://www.salabourn...-save-abil.html <br /><br />

#308 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Please remember ABIL is not a deposit taking institution....So no Reserve bank or Govt interference will come in at all!!

Agreed... If any help does come, it will have to come from the PIC and CML... And I can't see CML forking out any more.

#309 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Please remember ABIL is not a deposit taking institution....So no Reserve bank or Govt interference will come in at all!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#310 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

News just in it Looks like abil got Numsa on their side now as well. Shoulda bought more on Friday....<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

Link?
Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#311 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

News just in it Looks like abil got Numsa on their side now as well. Shoulda bought more on Friday....<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#312 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Agree.

More than likely but couldnt resist taking a small punt ;)
Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#313 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Agree.

this one is worth ZERO, finish and klaar!! stay away or you will get burnt!!

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#314 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

Agree.

this one is worth ZERO, finish and klaar!! stay away or you will get burnt!!

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#315 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Ok cool lets hope you are correct! Sorry about the spam guys. Something seriously wrong with sharechat today.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#316 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg (RSA)

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

McEdama.... care to share? I am averaging 58c and feeling very depressed! Haha

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

Magnet, you'll be smiling in no time believe me... Unfortunately I can't share more here...we'll chat again Thursday the latest...

#317 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

McEdama.... care to share? I am averaging 58c and feeling very depressed! Haha

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

Magnet, you be smiling in no time believe me... Unfortunately I can't share more here...we'll chat again Thursday the latest... ;)

#318 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

McEdama.... care to share? I am averaging 58c and feeling very depressed! Haha<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#319 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

Who ever bought ABIL sub R1.00 will make at least 100% profit by the very latest close of trading next week Thursday 14/08/14...the've been some interesting development....thank me later :D

#320 McEdama

McEdama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:05 PM

..<br />

Edited by McEdama, 08 August 2014 - 06:07 PM.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting