116 replies to this topic

#101 Qbre77

Qbre77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Sasol is a fundamental play at the moment, unrest in the Middle East pushing the oil price up and us being downgraded weakening the rand. Both big positives for the sasol share price!

#102 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

i dont know if im using the system right...would like to hear from hdb..if i use the 3day and 10 day ema crossover and cci on cfds i get a lot more buy and sell signals ..but some of them might be false signals?am i right in saying this?

Hi Vuil, im just busy using International on IG there fore cannnot look at the charts for Sasol and Ari!!  Later tonight!!

3and 10 day we do not use anymore....Just  use34ema for cfds...back test to see which cci suits best...could be 25. 40 or 50!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#103 vuilhond

vuilhond

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

i dont know if im using the system right...would like to hear from hdb..if i use the 3day and 10 day ema crossover and cci on cfds i get a lot more buy and sell signals ..but some of them might be false signals?am i right in saying this?

#104 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

mx125...daily chart...cci 25..34 day and 200 day m/a ..waiting for 34 to break 200 day...sasol was more of a momentum trade..but i used the cci system as confirmation.

got on a bit late on both these trades,but wanted to see a proper break below 200 day..african rainbow

Thanks Vuilhond.

Will have to test it a bit with Sasol. 

#105 vuilhond

vuilhond

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

mx125...daily chart...cci 25..34 day and 200 day m/a ..waiting for 34 to break 200 day...sasol was more of a momentum trade..but i used the cci system as confirmation.

got on a bit late on both these trades,but wanted to see a proper break below 200 day..african rainbow

#106 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Hi guys.i am long sasol @ 614 and short african rainbow minerals @ 186.both trades i used the hdb cci system.would you agree with these trades?

Hallo Vuilhond

What time chart (3,5 or 15 min), moving average (34 & 204) & CCI (14) are you using on shares, like Sasol. I have made good money on Sasol, but did not use the HDB system.

#107 vuilhond

vuilhond

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Hi guys.i am long sasol @ 614 and short african rainbow minerals @ 186.both trades i used the hdb cci system.would you agree with these trades?

#108 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

hope HDB doesn't mind me jumping in to give another angle on this..here's a simple analogy:

CFD means "contract for difference" they are leveraged requiring 10-25% deposit(margin) of the total value(note: brokers vary in their margin requirements)

example...you go long on company XYZ to value of R500 000...your margin requirement @10% is R50 000.  XYZ goes up 20% your profit is R100 000(all profit/loss is calculated on the 500K)

there are other factors to consider with overnight interest etc but this is the gist of it

Thanks Delta...Appreciated!! Feel free to contribute anytime!!

Main difference between CFDs and SSFs is SSFs are regulated and CFDs not!!

Also CFDs you pay/receive interest daily and pay/receive dividends on day after last day to register.  For SSfs interest and dividends built into price quoted!!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#109 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Guys, hi

Forgive me - might sound stupid but I need to ask. Ignorance is not my friend.

I trade in shares - are those also called CFDs?

hope HDB doesn't mind me jumping in to give another angle on this..here's a simple analogy:

CFD means "contract for difference" they are leveraged requiring 10-25% deposit(margin) of the total value(note: brokers vary in their margin requirements)

example...you go long on company XYZ to value of R500 000...your margin requirement @10% is R50 000.  XYZ goes up 20% your profit is R100 000(all profit/loss is calculated on the 500K)

there are other factors to consider with overnight interest etc but this is the gist of it

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#110 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:26 AM

Guys, hi

You can invest in shares where you make the full payment for the shares you buy or 

you can invest in shares via CFDs or Single Stock Futures which are derivatives..ie you make a small down payment (+-10%)and the balance is lent to you by your Broker or Safex or Market Maker!!The 10% is known as the margin!!

HDB

#111 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

Guys, hi

#112 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

Why recommend a pay for subscription service? This does not fit into your free advice etc approach?

Dear members:

A stupid question will also not get an answer from now on!!

LOL! You never ceases to amaze me!

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#113 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

Why recommend a pay for subscription service? This does not fit into your free advice etc approach?

Dear members:

A stupid question will also not get an answer from now on!!

HDB

#114 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

To get the ball rolling, anyone interested in trading CFDs, i suggest you subscribe to

Colin Abrams - his website is www.themarket.co.za
He is one of the best independent technical analysis around and a professional trader. If i know of any tech analysis who moves markets, it is this guy. He has a huge following. He sends out a letter once a week with his calls.

When i first started trading in 2006, i did subscribe to him and his subscription was worth every cent. However once i became familiar with the way he makes his calls, i went solo. Pretty accurate most of the times....

One of the few analysis who called the big correction in 2007/8

Ps...I do not get any commission for anyone signing up :D

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#115 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

South Africa’s Credit Rating Cut to One Level Above Junk by S&P
By Rene Vollgraaff  Jun 14, 2014 12:00 AM GMT+0200
South Africa’s credit rating was cut to one level above junk by Standard & Poor’s as the longest mining strike in the nation’s history threatens to drag the economy into recession, curbing government revenue.

The foreign-currency rating was lowered to BBB- from BBB and the local-currency rating was reduced to BBB+ from A-, S&P said in a statement yesterday. The outlook on the ratings were raised to stable from negative. Fitch Ratings also lowered the outlook on its BBB grading to negative from stable.

South Africa’s economy, the second-largest on the continent after Nigeria, contracted in the first quarter for the first time since 2009 as a 20-week strike over pay shut the world’s biggest platinum mines. Weaker growth may restrict the government’s ability to rein in the budget deficit as quickly as targeted.

“The fiscal stance over the next few years may become exposed to lower-than-expected economic growth, pressures from a new round of public-sector wage negotiations, and increased public spending needs,” S&P said.

The rand pared losses after the statement and traded 0.2 percent lower against the dollar at 10.6964 as of 6:30 p.m. in Johannesburg yesterday. The yield on rand-denominatedgovernment bonds due December 2026 rose three basis points, or 0.03 percentage point, to 8.4 percent.

“Market reaction is blunted by the fact that a risk of a downgrade had largely been priced in,” Razia Khan, head of Africa economic research at Standard Chartered Plc in London, said in an e-mailed note to clients. “Some had even spoken of the likelihood of a two-notch downgrade from S&P. From this perspective, the assigning of a ‘stable’ outlook to South Africa’s rating by S&P is positive news, relatively speaking.”

Budget Targets

The government has pledged to narrow the budget deficit to 2.8 percent of GDP in three years’ time from 4 percent in the fiscal year that ended in March. The National Treasury said in an e-mailed statement yesterday its ability and commitment to service its debt hasn’t changed.

“Unforeseeable cyclical factors such as the prolonged strike in parts of the platinum sector might sometimes cause marginal short-term deviations from the forecasted path,” the Treasury said. “However, government will not deviate materially from the long-term fiscal consolidation path.”

The World Bank this week cut its 2014 growth forecast for South Africa to 2 percent from 2.7 percent, while the International Monetary Fund said it may reduce its estimate to about 2 percent of less.

Growth Plan

S&P lowered its growth forecast for this year to 1.9 percent. While President Jacob Zuma’s administration will probably continue its policies from its first term, “we do not believe it will manage to undertake major labor or other economic reforms that will significantly boost GDP growth,” S&P said.

Newly elected Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa will oversee the implementation of the National Development Plan, which targets annual average growth of 5.4 percent, the Treasury said. Reforms to help unlock South Africa’s growth potential will be “implemented with higher vigor and determination,” it said.

Almost half the time, government bond yields fall when a rating action suggests they should climb, or they increase even as a change signals a decline, according to data compiled by Bloomberg on more than 300 upgrades, downgrades and outlook changes since 1974 and through December 2012.

To contact the reporter on this story: Rene Vollgraaff in Johannesburg atrvollgraaff@bloomberg.net

HDB

#116 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

To get the ball rolling, anyone interested in trading CFDs, i suggest you subscribe to 

Colin Abrams - his website is www.themarket.co.za

He is one of the best independent technical analysis around and a professional trader. If i know of any tech analysis who moves markets, it is this guy. He has a huge following. He sends out a letter once a week with his calls.

When i first started trading in 2006, i did subscribe to him and his subscription was worth every cent. However once i became familiar with the way he makes his calls, i went solo. Pretty accurate most of the times....

One of the few analysis who called the big correction in 2007/8

Ps...I do not get any commission for anyone signing up  :D 

Edited by HDB, 15 June 2014 - 10:32 PM.

HDB

#117 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Dear Members

This thread is about share trading, CFDs, investing, forex and anything and everything related to the stock market...

Feel free to ask any questions or ask for free advise on anything that relates to the stock market...

I will try to reply as quickly as possible, but if i don't please excuse me as i may busy elsewhere...

Questions not answered means its something i am not familiar with or outside my scope, but i will try as much as possible to help...

HDB

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting