#581 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

Couple days does not make a trend...

My sense is that the adjustment in expectations to Uncle Ben's comments and the fear around Chinese credit is winding down and we should therefore begin to see a return to lower volatility.

Should we trend up from here and look back in a couple weeks, the S&P 3 year chart will reflect this recent activity as a pretty healthy correction and not dissimilar to the smaller of the two in 2011 (November) and the two in 2012 (April and October). In fact, of these 4, this latest is the smallest in % terms (if complete). Although looking at the chart, we could see further downward pressure all the way to the 200sma is possible.

Macroeconomically, the US is picking up steam, though not enough for rapid withdrawal of QE.

Japan is pumping huge liquidity in to the market.

Europe's monetary policy will remain loose until a proper turn around is apparant, and that is well off.

Africa (ex-SA) is growing solidly.

The BRIC countries are slowing but still growing at a very healthy clip.

Domestically is where we have some problems. Worse case we could drift into a recession, best case we continue to muddle along. Unsecured lending will continue to drag on domestic consumption for awhile. Who knows what the Mandela factor will produce. Labour unrest could spark at a moment's notice.

If I take all these factors into consideration I'm still bullish but am sticking to companies generating good quality earnings and ideally from a diversified geography, with a fair % ex-SA.

Attached File  SP500 3yr June13.PNG   53.14KB   39 downloads

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#582 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Why is everybody so upset regards to China?  7 - 7.5% growth is still pretty darn good for the 2nd biggest economy in the world.  

Bloody right HB! Couldn't agree more. Some perspective is what's called for.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#583 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

BBW, sorry to burst your bubble but I wouldn't take ol Jimbo too seriously. I lived many years in the US and investors and traders with any decent memory know very well that he is a market manipulator. Google Cramer and Fraud and read some of the articles. In particular watch Jon Stewart rip him apart

Jim Cramer is a nutcase.

#584 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Some interesting thoughts, and stocks, from Cramer (yesterday):

Markets are down this morning following China's worst day of trading in four years. The credit concerns in 
China have spread to other global markets and the turmoil continued in emerging markets overnight. Obviously, 
it bears watching very closely, but China's new economic and monetary policies are by design -- they are trying 
to grow at a 7% to 7.5% "sustainable" level and not the boom/bust scenario seen over the last several decades. 
These are unchartered waters, so the volatility in these markets is understandable.
We expect liquidity injections to continue at small levels and, if necessary, they have ample tools to stem a crisis 
-- including $3 trillion in reserves. In the U.S., the discussion continues to surround the Federal Reserve and 
potential for the removal of QE and the backup in bond yields; the 10-year note is now at 2.6%, which is the 
highest in more than two years. We believe the Fed will only taper QE as economic data improves (it raised 
GDP and employment growth and reduced its inflation expectation).
First, we are all rooting for the U.S. economy to finally grow again after five difficult years, and this will lead to 
better corporate profits. Second, the Fed will be gradual and will not change the Fed Fund rate until 2015 (even 
as futures are pricing in a tightening already). But we've said we expect volatility to continue and we reiterate 
this point, especially since we have a few weeks until earnings are reported (Alcoa (AA:NYSE) officially kicks 
off on July 8), which we expect to be solid.
We've had a higher level of cash in the portfolio than usual and we'll look to pick at high-quality stocks (widescale buys) with good balance sheets that tilt toward cyclicals and benefit from the U.S. economic recovery. For 
instance, regional banks Wells Fargo (WFC:NYSE) and KeyCorp ( KEY:NYSE); select technology Facebook 
(FB:NASDAQ) and eBay (EBAY:NASDAQ); industrials Eaton (ETN:NYSE) and GE (GE:NYSE); consumer 
Costco (COST:NASDAQ) and TJX Cos. (TJX:NYSE). We'll also continue to watch some of the defensive 
stocks as they come down, such as Procter & Gamble (PG:NYSE), Philip Morris (PM:NYSE) and General 
Mills (GIS:NYSE).
We continue to like the themes we've been supporting all year: housing/banks (especially with the steeper yield 
curve); autos (comfortably above a 15 million seasonally adjusted annual rate with credit easing and 
replacement story strong); aerospace (production backlogs north of seven years); trucks (NAFTA and ACT data 
continue to show month-over-month improvement and the strong replacement cycle story and old age of the 
fleet); and consumer (benefitting from housing and the job recovery).
We also like the reflation story in Japan, with $1.4 trillion in stimulus programs, $768 billion a month in bond 
purchases and $100 billion in public infrastructure spending

Why is everybody so upset regards to China?  7 - 7.5% growth is still pretty darn good for the 2nd biggest economy in the world.  

#585 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Markets are down this morning following China's worst day of trading in four years. The credit concerns in 
China have spread to other global markets and the turmoil continued in emerging markets overnight. Obviously, 
it bears watching very closely, but China's new economic and monetary policies are by design -- they are trying 
to grow at a 7% to 7.5% "sustainable" level and not the boom/bust scenario seen over the last several decades. 
These are unchartered waters, so the volatility in these markets is understandable.
We expect liquidity injections to continue at small levels and, if necessary, they have ample tools to stem a crisis 
-- including $3 trillion in reserves. In the U.S., the discussion continues to surround the Federal Reserve and 
potential for the removal of QE and the backup in bond yields; the 10-year note is now at 2.6%, which is the 
highest in more than two years. We believe the Fed will only taper QE as economic data improves (it raised 
First, we are all rooting for the U.S. economy to finally grow again after five difficult years, and this will lead to 
better corporate profits. Second, the Fed will be gradual and will not change the Fed Fund rate until 2015 (even 
as futures are pricing in a tightening already). But we've said we expect volatility to continue and we reiterate 
this point, especially since we have a few weeks until earnings are reported (Alcoa (AA:NYSE) officially kicks 
We've had a higher level of cash in the portfolio than usual and we'll look to pick at high-quality stocks (widescale buys) with good balance sheets that tilt toward cyclicals and benefit from the U.S. economic recovery. For 
instance, regional banks Wells Fargo (WFC:NYSE) and KeyCorp ( KEY:NYSE); select technology Facebook 
(FB:NASDAQ) and eBay (EBAY:NASDAQ); industrials Eaton (ETN:NYSE) and GE (GE:NYSE); consumer 
Costco (COST:NASDAQ) and TJX Cos. (TJX:NYSE). We'll also continue to watch some of the defensive 
stocks as they come down, such as Procter & Gamble (PG:NYSE), Philip Morris (PM:NYSE) and General 
We continue to like the themes we've been supporting all year: housing/banks (especially with the steeper yield 
curve); autos (comfortably above a 15 million seasonally adjusted annual rate with credit easing and 
replacement story strong); aerospace (production backlogs north of seven years); trucks (NAFTA and ACT data 
continue to show month-over-month improvement and the strong replacement cycle story and old age of the 
We also like the reflation story in Japan, with $1.4 trillion in stimulus programs, $768 billion a month in bond 

BBW, sorry to burst your bubble but I wouldn't take ol Jimbo too seriously. I lived many years in the US and investors and traders with any decent memory know very well that he is a market manipulator. Google Cramer and Fraud and read some of the articles. In particular watch Jon Stewart rip him apart

#586 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#587 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

No  CML...why ?

I am trading it in my short term so I thought i rather leave it out of my LT

#588 Safrican

Safrican

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLyford Cay.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm looking for one more share... PIK appeals to me but their trend is all down

No  CML...why ?

Thank you for your time and I will thank you for mine. - Rodriguez

#589 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

My Long term portfolio, all purchased today:

CPL

GRT

MDC

NPN

VOD

Equal Weightings of all

and 50% cash

I'm looking for one more share... PIK appeals to me but their trend is all down

#590 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

My Long term portfolio, all purchased today:

CPL

GRT

MDC

NPN

VOD

Equal Weightings of all

and 50% cash

Edited by yusufm1, 25 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#591 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Yusuf buy SAB??? Get real!! :D

For Sure HDB

No lose. You buy, it goes up, you win.

It drops, you drink it, it goes up, you win

:P

#592 alexander

alexander

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFourways

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Sold all my AGL shares in my LTP and bought NPN

Sent from my iPhone using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#593 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

if VOD breaks 100 will add....not so sure we'll see it but yes...watching

by no means a rand hedge but a "buy" nevertheless

bad fall yesterday LDT was a couple of days ago (21st I think), but still....

#594 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

I bought some Naspers this morning after their results. I'll check out the other two now...

Might be worth seeing if you qualify for SOLBE1...seems to be a great deal.

#595 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

I really appreciate the help guys  :)

#596 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

if VOD breaks 100 will add....not so sure we'll see it but yes...watching

by no means a rand hedge but a "buy" nevertheless

Edited by delta66, 25 June 2013 - 12:07 PM.

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#597 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Sasol, Naspers, BHP.

I bought some Naspers this morning after their results. I'll check out the other two now...

#598 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ok let me rephrase. Anything except SAB and BATS, but I see where you coming from  :lol:

Sasol, Naspers, BHP.

#599 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Ok let me rephrase. Anything except SAB and BATS, but I see where you coming from  :lol:

#600 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

There can be only 1

SAB - both defensive and a hedge

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting