814 replies to this topic

#601 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Got klapped yesterday. Seems to be recovering now. I'm looking for a good rand hedge though...Any tips guys?

There can be only 1

SAB - both defensive and a hedge

Edited by gamma, 25 June 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#602 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I think your safe with both, but given current prices, closeness to NAV and P/E ratio's together with the Fountainhead deal I went with Redefine :)

Got klapped yesterday. Seems to be recovering now. I'm looking for a good rand hedge though...Any tips guys?

#603 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

indeed gamma, volatility can be a friend :) 

added more OCE yesterday and looking to add more PNC today

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#604 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Traders and Investors have really short term memories. Wasn't it just a year or so ago that the Europe was about to implode and the world would turn to ****? 

That was volatility!

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#605 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

seen quite a substantial slide on my overall LT portfolio..i'm slowly moving from riskier short term to the higher yielding instruments

in for a rough correction and judging by today's action,,no sight of bottom yet :unsure:  

Yep, but would be a mistake selling in to a falling market. If you believe in the companies you own then hang tight. my 2c  :)

#606 JJBen

JJBen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Somebody on the forum had a target price for AGL well below R200 (too lazy to look). I asked my broker's opinion.

They are sellers atm. They are not waiting for R160. Would you buy at that level? No was the reply.

Like HDB said, we are entering a difficult 12-24 months in the R of SA.

Like in 2008, Cash Is King.

#607 grumpy old man

grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

seen quite a substantial slide on my overall LT portfolio..i'm slowly moving from riskier short term to the higher yielding instruments

in for a rough correction and judging by today's action,,no sight of bottom yet :unsure:  

Yep LT portfolio is looking pretty battered and bruised at the moment. The bears rule and we will just have to be patient and hope we see a turnaround soon.

#608 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

#609 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Eish! Holding on to my LONG term CFD Investment portfolio (that resembles a unit trust at the moment) is NO fun currently! Hope I'll have at least some nails left come September/October. If it wasn't for my ALSI shorts.... Got hope though; the ZAR is steadily becoming stronger; must mean the foreigners are buying?

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#610 JakeSpade

JakeSpade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCapeTown

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

get in on BIK before friday, you might want to criticize now but they are set for a very solid set of results.

#611 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

i still prefer GRT more than RDF. But those 2 are my major property holdings

I think your safe with both, but given current prices, closeness to NAV and P/E ratio's together with the Fountainhead deal I went with Redefine :)

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#612 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

Added some Redefine at current levels! :D

i still prefer GRT more than RDF. But those 2 are my major property holdings

#613 Ninja

Ninja

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

things are looking cheap.... will they bounce or will they get cheaper???

#614 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

Added some Redefine at current levels! :D

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#615 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

added again to OCE @8343

#616 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

HDB, you are forgetting one important statistic and that is that life for the majority of South Africans was worse 20 years ago than it is now. (the only people that disagree with this statement are the ones that say black people were better off oppressed under apartheid! - I sincerely hope you are not one of those...)

I lived in many parts of the world and everywhere has its problems. Brazil has terrible crime, China has awful human rights issues, the europeans are struggling with an uncompetitive economy due to years of poor policy, the americans can't afford healthcare... We don't have a monopoly on stupid politicians...your Avatar seems to prove my point!

I'm not saying I know what will happen. You might be proved right for all we know. All I'm saying is your fear appears irrational and not founded on a clear economic argument given the facts of the day. 

LIFE for most black South Africans might not be worse than it was 20 years ago, but living conditions for the POOR (black people and other) are much worse.

Edited by BBW, 21 June 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#617 alexander

alexander

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFourways

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Gamma jokes aside, from an economic point of view, I still maintain going 12 months forward our future looks bleak and the market will follow suit!! However only one thing is saving this market now is the liquidity. Once this dries up and it will once QE goes, nothing will hold it up!!!

Well the one thing was for sure that the QE wasn't for ever. South Africa itself is entering a very difficult time period.

Sent from my iPhone using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#618 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Gamma jokes aside, from an economic point of view, I still maintain going 12 months forward our future looks bleak and the market will follow suit!! However only one thing is saving this market now is the liquidity. Once this dries up and it will once QE goes, nothing will hold it up!!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#619 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Ok Gamma, my reply with tongue in cheek and a bit funny!!  :P

Enjoy...

HERE ANC’s LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS ... READS LIKE A FAIRY TALE

• 19 years of ANC rule unemployment has gone up by 60% !!
• South Africa is now the rape capital of the world
• After 19 years of ANC rule we have achieved the dubious distinction of being 140th on a world list of 144 countries for our education department.
• We are officially the country where the most hijacks take place
• We are also on the top ten list for the most murders
• In 19 years the rand/dollar has gone from R3.41 to R10.00
• During ANC rule the petrol price has gone from R1.73 to R12.83 per liter
• In 19 years our defense force has gone from being the iron fist of Africa to a laughing stock that can’t defend Disneyland from an invasion of fluffy toys
• On the list of most corrupt governments they have given us a special place right at the top
• In 19 years we have ten times more people in squatter camps and 1000% more illegal immigrants
• In 19 years our roads, railways, military, police, municipal services, old age homes, hospitals and orphanages have literally fallen apart and are worth nothing anymore
• No other country on the planet has more convicted criminals in their parliament than us!!
• 25% of all South African school girls are HIV+
• Our school girls had 100 000 abortions last year and those are only the legal ones!!

HDB, you are forgetting one important statistic and that is that life for the majority of South Africans was worse 20 years ago than it is now. (the only people that disagree with this statement are the ones that say black people were better off oppressed under apartheid! - I sincerely hope you are not one of those...)

I lived in many parts of the world and everywhere has its problems. Brazil has terrible crime, China has awful human rights issues, the europeans are struggling with an uncompetitive economy due to years of poor policy, the americans can't afford healthcare... We don't have a monopoly on stupid politicians...your Avatar seems to prove my point!

I'm not saying I know what will happen. You might be proved right for all we know. All I'm saying is your fear appears irrational and not founded on a clear economic argument given the facts of the day. 

#620 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Yup, well time will tell and perhaps you will be proved right but I don't see a major crash, a correction sure, but not a crash (although maybe this is a matter of definition). Here's why:

I'm not disputing SA's economy is a laggard or not suffering due to poor leadership, but there are a couple factors that are different to the big downturns in the US and Europe.

1. The emerging middle class in SA is a driver, a big one, that doesn't exist in the aforementioned economies.

2. North of our border, many if not most, of the African economies are growing very well and that growth is only at the beginning of a long term cycle (and by long I mean 15-30 year cycle). SA companies that are exploiting that growth will benefit despite what happens in SA.

3. The weak rand will drive exports which will add some impetus to GDP growth. (Yes I know imports and inflation is a watch-out on the flip side of this coin) - but already recent data showed a surprise to the upside for precisely these reasons.

Do you really think an acceleration in US GDP, a turnaround in the Europe (our biggest trading partner) and a ticking along of BRIC countries is a recipe for a crash?

Given the above...the MTNs, SABs, BATs and their ilk...a collapse? really? Can you see demand disappearing for any length of time?

Yes sure, some stocks could take a big hit short term, including our pet CML but IMO there is enough quality/defensives that should benefit from the macro factors I point out above to more than cover underperformance elsewhere.

Of course something unexpected could always hit us in the face but I'm not hearing a clear argument from anyone for exactly what's so new that is driving it. Unsecured lending? maybe..though this hardly seems a big enough factor. Probably the biggest risk, albeit low, is a Chinese slow down/collapse. That will take us..and pretty much everyone else down with it.

So lets see.. :ph34r:

Ok Gamma, my reply with tongue in cheek and a bit funny!!  :P

Enjoy...

HERE ANC’s LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS ... READS LIKE A FAIRY TALE

• 19 years of ANC rule unemployment has gone up by 60% !!
• South Africa is now the rape capital of the world
• After 19 years of ANC rule we have achieved the dubious distinction of being 140th on a world list of 144 countries for our education department.
• We are officially the country where the most hijacks take place
• We are also on the top ten list for the most murders
• In 19 years the rand/dollar has gone from R3.41 to R10.00
• During ANC rule the petrol price has gone from R1.73 to R12.83 per liter
• In 19 years our defense force has gone from being the iron fist of Africa to a laughing stock that can’t defend Disneyland from an invasion of fluffy toys
• On the list of most corrupt governments they have given us a special place right at the top
• In 19 years we have ten times more people in squatter camps and 1000% more illegal immigrants
• In 19 years our roads, railways, military, police, municipal services, old age homes, hospitals and orphanages have literally fallen apart and are worth nothing anymore
• No other country on the planet has more convicted criminals in their parliament than us!!
• 25% of all South African school girls are HIV+
• Our school girls had 100 000 abortions last year and those are only the legal ones!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting