814 replies to this topic

#561 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Looking at the 1 yr daily (below)I hope tomorrow will help us push thru the 50sma

Futures up so odds on but should it fail then there is still a chance we can see a bit more downside (worst case to the 200sma - see 3 yr chart above)

attachicon.gifPicture 3.png

update since I last posted the S&P 1 yr daily chart.

What a breakout. Shorts took a helluva beating over the past 10days.

Looking a bit ripe for a small pullback before resuming its ride up.

Attached File  Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 9.15.14 PM.png   66.37KB   69 downloads

Edited by gamma, 15 July 2013 - 09:24 PM.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#562 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

gamma, the reason for the low volumes yesterday was most likely the 4th July holiday in the US, should pick up today

ah..duh. :wacko:

I should have realised that

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#563 franz

franz

• PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:29 AM

browsing through a few shares and noticed volumes were much lower than average today..

gamma, the reason for the low volumes yesterday was most likely the 4th July holiday in the US, should pick up today

#564 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

browsing through a few shares and noticed volumes were much lower than average today..

#565 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

Couple days does not make a trend...

attachicon.gifSP500 3yr June13.PNG

Looking at the 1 yr daily (below)I hope tomorrow will help us push thru the 50sma

Futures up so odds on but should it fail then there is still a chance we can see a bit more downside (worst case to the 200sma - see 3 yr chart above)

Attached File  Picture 3.png   78.29KB   48 downloads

#566 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

IMO, Gold is too risky right now and I wouldn't touch resources with a ten foot pole until we see a true reversal. Anal-ysts have been pumping investors to buy resources for a couple years now and many people have lost the shirts on their backs as a result. sickening really.

agreed 100%..wouldn't touch SA mining/resource until there is firm policy in place regarding unions/wages/tax etc even then i would remain somewhat skeptical about "adherence" to their commitments/agreements.

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#567 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

http://www.moneyweb....t-update/r-1382

top shares on JSE ytd

Anyone know where/how one can find a list of the best performing stocks over 4 years (since 2009)?

Edited by BBW, 03 July 2013 - 08:57 AM.

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#568 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I can't see resources bouncing back soon.  Strike season is upon us and looking at some of the wage demands by NUM and AMCU, things will get messy.  On the other side the top 20 looks very expensive.  Equities looking unattractive at the moment.  Thinking of buying a few Krugerrand coins.  What u reckon gamma?   

I agree with you in general but I do think you can get good returns by making some carful picks. Easy money's been made though.

My strategy has been relatively consistent. Find quality SA companies operating in higher growth environments. Mostly this is Africa (ex-SA) but can be anywhere really...look at Naspers, SAB, Aspen, FBR etc. Other option could be to go the defensive, dividend route - VOD, MTN etc. Probably MTN is best of both worlds. might also be a good idea just to hold some extra cash in case we see some more volatility, which I guessing is a real possibility should the strikes ratchet up and Madiba goes.

IMO, Gold is too risky right now and I wouldn't touch resources with a ten foot pole until we see a true reversal. Anal-ysts have been pumping investors to buy resources for a couple years now and many people have lost the shirts on their backs as a result. sickening really.

Edited by gamma, 02 July 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#569 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

top shares on JSE ytd

I can't see resources bouncing back soon.  Strike season is upon us and looking at some of the wage demands by NUM and AMCU, things will get messy.  On the other side the top 20 looks very expensive.  Equities looking unattractive at the moment.  Thinking of buying a few Krugerrand coins.  What u reckon gamma?   

#570 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

top shares on JSE ytd

#571 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Was up 18% ytd end of last week and down another half % this week. Can live with it but lets hope things quieten down a bit this coming week. Can only take so much holiday..

Long term portfolio back up to around 23% YTD. What a difference 2 weeks can make. Proof again that when you think you should sell due to a falling market, it is the last thing you should do.

#572 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

CPL is up 4.3%

GRT up 8.5%

MDC up 6.1%

NPN up 5.6%

PIK up 2.6%

VOD up 2.1%

All seems good so far :)

Wow, that closing auction  :o  :wub:

CPL up 7.1%. 

MDC up 9.3%

NPN up 8.6%

PIK up 2.6%

VOD up 2.3%

I sold GRT at auction up 12.6%

If any of the others breach the 10% mark on monday i will sell too, and re-enter after a 4 or 5 % drop ;)

#573 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

nice going yusufm1...looks like we both missed out on APN, guess we win some, lose some.

Ya i should have picked up on it instead of PIK. I'm not too sure about PIK at the moment

#574 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

CPL is up 4.3%

GRT up 8.5%

MDC up 6.1%

NPN up 5.6%

PIK up 2.6%

VOD up 2.1%

nice going yusufm1...looks like we both missed out on APN, guess we win some, lose some.

#575 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

My Long term portfolio, all purchased today:

CPL

GRT

MDC

NPN

PIK

VOD

Equal Weightings of all

and 40% cash

CPL is up 4.3%

GRT up 8.5%

MDC up 6.1%

NPN up 5.6%

PIK up 2.6%

VOD up 2.1%

#576 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Strong finish to US markets. Best 3 day rally this year. Bulls on the charge and shorts on the run

#577 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi delta, if I may ask which global equities are you looking or holding at the moment, if I may ask? Thanks

hi Sharehunter, no prob.  i was referring to risk appetite returning to global equities, investors getting back into equities. been following AAPL(Apple) for some time.

#578 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

BBW, sorry to burst your bubble but I wouldn't take ol Jimbo too seriously. I lived many years in the US and investors and traders with any decent memory know very well that he is a market manipulator. Google Cramer and Fraud and read some of the articles. In particular watch Jon Stewart rip him apart

Thanks Gamma. I'm taking EVERYONE on TV's advice with a pinch of salt, but this guy, although a clown, helped my brother make some very good money.

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#579 ShareHunter

ShareHunter

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi delta, if I may ask which global equities are you looking or holding at the moment, if I may ask? Thanks

outlook extremely bullish for global equities..fasten your seatbelt for the ride UP :-)

#580 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

outlook extremely bullish for global equities..fasten your seatbelt for the ride UP :-)

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting