• Please log in to reply
35854 replies to this topic

#23161 JJBen

JJBen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

To those who made these 100s of pips since yesterday morning....

If you went long around or before 0900 yesterday morning....did you comfortably sit through that dip from 0930 to 1100?? Reason for the question is your psychological state during that period...given the fact that it was a 400 point drop...or what? Did some have a 500 point SL range? In which case it would not have mattered. Just wondering ....trying to perhaps build up a longer term perspective when there appears to be a good probability of something materializing and have to deal wide such wild things. Suppose it has got to do something with the account size as well.

Plasma

Garth M from Traders Corner had a med-term short from 42100 to 39600 TP, 42800 SL. The short was closed around 40 000.

So the RR was 3.5:1. To handle a 700 point SL range requires a medium term outlook. I honestly don't know how day traders can have a 300-400 point SL, when the Average True Range is "only" 500 points! To justify a RR of 2:1 you need an upday of at least 600-800 points. Not on if you use daily ATR as guideline.

But each to his own. No rights or wrongs, trade your own system.

#23162 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

To those who made these 100s of pips since yesterday morning....

If you went long around or before 0900 yesterday morning....did you comfortably sit through that dip from 0930 to 1100?? Reason for the question is your psychological state during that period...given the fact that it was a 400 point drop...or what? Did some have a 500 point SL range? In which case it would not have mattered. Just wondering ....trying to perhaps build up a longer term perspective when there appears to be a good probability of something materializing and have to deal wide such wild things. Suppose it has got to do something with the account size as well.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#23163 Redeemer

Redeemer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Nice one K~~. Closed 80% of mine for about 600 points. Will let the rest run for a while.

Long @40037 (IG). The bull is about to breathe again!

#23164 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

That's about right, R. Got a target of 40900 or so for my long @828.

Let's see where she goes. There's a lot of longs out there, so don't expect her to move too fast (no good short squeeze...)

K

Closed long from 39828  at 40650. Not going to wait for the final push.

No open positions ATM. Will see where she goes.

I'll short when she reaches 40900, with a stop at 41300.

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#23165 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

The 1d with BBand, EMA and RSI indicators did not fail. Targets reached.

Nice one, well done!

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23166 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

The 1d with BBand, EMA and RSI indicators did not fail. Targets reached.

By no means a tech analysis or a rigid pattern, but the 1d is playing a familiar game:

Red candle touching BBLower, then a possible turn-around as the follow-on candle (today's) doesn't decent lower than the last red candle for one or two days then a lekker upswing. My initial target will be the EMA(10) line (J200 @ 40563), after-which I will reassess exit target for long(s).

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#23167 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

for those of you interested - trend is still in play as it held...lets see what 20ema holds. if it does maybe FIB ret to 41300.

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#23168 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Edit post: Hot Stoxx short entered at 14,119 and my long i entered a bit early at 14,300

watch USDJPY very closely...if yen weakens Nikkei rallies...yen just weakened through 102 hence spike in NIkkei futures.

#23169 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Edit post: Hot Stoxx short entered at 14,119 and my long i entered a bit early at 14,300

I have commented on this yesterday morning...the people at Hot Stoxx either have a death wish or have half a brain...a few more results like that from Panasonic yesterday and Sony today and they will have their heads handed to them in a basket...

#23170 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

This is interesting, on Hot stoxx they are not hot on Nikkei 225 and decided to short the index at 15,119. The reasoning that they had an impressive run last year is understandable but shorting this index at this level after it retraced in value from its January high of 16,397 could be dangerous. I am long from 15,300 and will keep adding as we go further down

So the Hot Stoxx trade has about 350 points against them on this trade and i am in the money. Run Nikkei run

#23171 BlythZ

BlythZ

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

This is interesting, on Hot stoxx they are not hot on Nikkei 225 and decided to short the index at 15,119. The reasoning that they had an impressive run last year is understandable but shorting this index at this level after it retraced in value from its January high of 16,397 could be dangerous. I am long from 15,300 and will keep adding as we go further down

So the Hot Stoxx trade has about 350 points against them on this trade and i am in the money. Run Nikkei run

#23172 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

You may not believe this but you can go and check for yourself...a stock like AGL actually likes a stronger ZAR ie ZAR strong then AGL up and the reason for that is very simple a stronger ZAR is in most instances associated with a risk on environment. So you can get situation where ZAR is strong and ALSI is in the green. We had such a day today...ZAR and ALSI both rallied late afternoon.

So although important to look at the currency it is even more important to understand what currency moves tells you about prevailing sentiment.

#23173 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Zero i agree, but just think where will the money go to first. I see the rand is currently at R11 so hopefully the traders will still be willing to buy AlSI.I feel at this stage we are more and more linked to the exchange rate.THe stronger rand will put some downward pressure at this stage But this is just my tongue in cheek comments

You may not believe this but you can go and check for yourself...a stock like AGL actually likes a stronger ZAR ie ZAR strong then AGL up and the reason for that is very simple a stronger ZAR is in most instances associated with a risk on environment. So you can get situation where ZAR is strong and ALSI is in the green. We had such a day today...ZAR and ALSI both rallied late afternoon.

#23174 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Zero i agree, but just think where will the money go to first. I see the rand is currently at R11 so hopefully the traders will still be willing to buy AlSI.I feel at this stage we are more and more linked to the exchange rate.THe stronger rand will put some downward pressure at this stage But this is just my tongue in cheek comments

IG CASH

#23175 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Jakes a amatuerish thought.US picking up good reason to continue scaling back on Qe **** for EM and ALSI goes down. Hell as easy as that haha what do you think?

Things are never as easy or straight forward as it seem...if growth in US and developed world improves it will ultimately be good for world growth including EM. Last week saw the biggest redemption out of EM since the financial crisis of 2008. Don't think we have seen total capitulation just yet but we are getting close. We have suffered a lot since Bernanke first mentioned tapering back in May 2013...so lot has been discounte and a lot of capital has left EM for Europe and Japan. A postive growth surprise out of US/developed world is therefore not necessarily bad for EM...as it will aid growth in EM...remember Europe is South Africa,s largest export market.

#23176 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Jakes a amatuerish thought.US picking up good reason to continue scaling back on Qe **** for EM and ALSI goes down. Hell as easy as that haha what do you think?

IG CASH

#23177 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

I am back in my short @ 40300

How much pain can you pull, Jakes? Got a bounce target of 40850-900 here.

K

Just looking for a small pull back to close this short.

Alsi future

I only post my views, not advice

#23178 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Wave B in motion...changes are good going to run into Monday towards that 40900 before the final impulsive leg down (wave C) and low for this phase!

VIX should then create negative divergence for the US primary wave 5 and final high in March/April!

A

Kyk hoe kyk sy vir my! :) That ad on your screenshot is funny!

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23179 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Wave B in motion...changes are good going to run into Monday towards that 40900 before the final impulsive leg down (wave C) and low for this phase!

VIX should then create negative divergence for the US primary wave 5 and final high in March/April!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#23180 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

I am back in my short @ 40300

How much pain can you pull, Jakes? Got a bounce target of 40850-900 here.

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting