35854 replies to this topic

#23321 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Sure right...today should be red cause Feb is also going to be a down month (first day of the month)..but I see countertrend bouncing towards 41400ish before the low last week in Feb (cycle low)!We are quite oversold now...

A

Are you trading this, A?

Or still sitting out?

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#23322 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Monday is usually counter-trend (Quote: Argento...many, many times) :blink:

Sure right...today should be red cause Feb is also going to be a down month (first day of the month)..but I see countertrend bouncing towards 41400ish before the low last week in Feb (cycle low)!We are quite oversold now...

A

"Never never never give up!"

#23323 Lamarje

Lamarje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSprings

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

Guys, are your IG-platforms very slow as well this week; as well as their SMS notifications of trades?

Have confirmed with 2 people and IG today is very slow

But I'm only a humble student subject to correction.

#23324 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

It's time for it to go sideways with a upside bias. Buy now 40400 or lower

Stop 40000

I would agree with you, but I am cautious atm.  This morning's action alone is scary.

40400 is a nice level to enter a long, but now it's too risky with Alsi. The Rand made a huge comeback this morning.

Do you perhaps know the reason for the strong recovery?

Willing to take a long on SNP and Dow perhaps. Looking for a dip close to open.

Edited by fabes, 03 February 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#23325 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Bought DAX 9250 

Sideways with upside bias.

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#23326 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

It's time for it to go sideways with a upside bias. Buy now 40400 or lower

Stop 40000

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#23327 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Guys, are your IG-platforms very slow as well this week; as well as their SMS notifications of trades?

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#23328 Redeemer

Redeemer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Monday is usually counter-trend (Quote: Argento...many, many times) :blink:

#23329 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

41k coming.

Wow. Wouldn't be suprised. Think this is a pump and dump?

She's on steriods this morning...

#23330 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Short 40760

41k coming.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23331 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

Short 40760

IG CASH

#23332 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Thank you, but does it make sense to do something like this for one's long term portfolio, especially in such unsure, mostly negative, times like now?

It depends. If you hold it via IG, then personally, I think not.  You can hedge via a future, but an option structure might also do the trick?

#23333 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Another stupid question: If I hold long CFD positions with a total exposure of +-R240 000 and 3 short Micro SA40 positions, also with a total exposure of +-R240 000 (3 x 40000 x R2); am I fully hedged and "safe"?

It is seldom that you will be perfectly hedged using IG I think. The only way is when your long/short is in the money by the exact amount that the spread will cause you to incur that initial "loss" when you buy the other leg (long/short). Otherwise you wil just lock in a loss equal to the spread if you can long and short at the same price. Hope it makes sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

Thank you, but does it make sense to do something like this for one's long term portfolio, especially in such unsure, mostly negative, times like now?

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#23334 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Bearish cross on the 5H made now.  Need it below 40400 to target 40k, otherwise 40700-40800 resistance can come into play again.

#23335 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

interesting thx...so how wide is the double?

is the spread wider after hours...would expect it to be the case...and how much wider?

32 points

IG makes it easy for newbies to enter the market, but it is so misleading. The platform is good for normal equities, but not for indexes. After Fridays after hrs action im moving my index trading. Three reasons 1) spread is stupid, 2) charts are skewed due to afterhours and 3) they follow different instruments afterhours so planning is not possible.

Which platform do you have in mind?

Apart from IG you can trade the "normal" SAFEX contracts through most brokers. They can provide whichever platform. I openend a broking account which gave me Swordfish. Yet to try it out though...

I use Swordfish,

Its got everything I need

Broker?

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#23336 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

is the spread wider after hours...would expect it to be the case...and how much wider?

32 points

IG makes it easy for newbies to enter the market, but it is so misleading. The platform is good for normal equities, but not for indexes. After Fridays after hrs action im moving my index trading. Three reasons 1) spread is stupid, 2) charts are skewed due to afterhours and 3) they follow different instruments afterhours so planning is not possible.

Apart from IG you can trade the "normal" SAFEX contracts through most brokers. They can provide whichever platform. I openend a broking account which gave me Swordfish. Yet to try it out though...

I use Swordfish,
Its got everything I need

Alsi future

I only post my views, not advice

#23337 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:38 AM

32 points

#23338 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

32 points

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#23339 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

32 points

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#23340 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

32 points

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting