#23341 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

200 points up after 1700 ....

Jip. Just because DOW and S&P came back from -1% to -0.4% :) It is going to be interesting. Good short opportunity here maybe! (if you trade IG)

I was going to say that "This is what I don't understand. The above happened, and then when had the drop on IGM from before 2200. The S&P ended at 0.65 down....and we were over 1% stronger against the pound and to a lesser extent the others, but we still ended up higher, even though the ZAR strengthened.

BUT In retrospect, I do not have all the data points at the critical times to conclude my argument..., thus pls ignore...

Suffice to say, with the Dax down, the US down, the ZAR stronger, etc...would not have expected a green ending on IGM after hours.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#23342 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

interesting thx...so how wide is the double?

is the spread wider after hours...would expect it to be the case...and how much wider?

#23343 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

IMO the IG spreads are what kills many. Well, it really irritates me.

#23344 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

IMO the IG spreads are what kills many. Well, it really irritates me.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23345 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Share your perspective ..... Will make a comment about last nights moves...need to check one or two things. Having said that, there has been occasions where, from my perspective, there was a strong correlation observed between the after hour IGM trend and the S&P and where I have had some successfully trades. BUT...some other times got stopped out etc. At the moment I am weary of trading after hours.

Cool and thx Plasma.

#23346 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

http://www.investing...spx-500-futures

Guess what I am really trying to say here is that it must be very difficult to trade the ALSI after hours thru something like the IG platform as price discovery is very opaque, as you are effective trading an instrument that is the second derivative of the cash market (with safex futures being the 1st derivative). Just looking at some of the comments it seems that there are more than often very volatile and sometimes inexplicable swings (ie moves that simply can't be explained by what is happening on overseas markets at that moment)in the ALSI after market which can cause stops to be triggered. What are the changes that a big trader with a bit of capital can manipulate after hours trading (as I am pretty sure volumes must be thin during these after hours)and cause stops to be triggered resulting in "unfair"losses to the unexpected/less experienced speculators or investors. Personally I won't trade if I am not sure that the price on the screen is the true price...and the only way to know that for sure is if there is real volume going thru at that level. The rest if noise and can cause unnecessary losses to the less experienced trader. Just my thoughts...any comments will be appreciated.

Share your perspective ..... Will make a comment about last nights moves...need to check one or two things. Having said that, there has been occasions where, from my perspective, there was a strong correlation observed between the after hour IGM trend and the S&P and where I have had some successfully trades. BUT...some other times got stopped out etc. At the moment I am weary of trading after hours.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#23347 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

http://www.investing...spx-500-futures

Guess what I am really trying to say here is that it must be very difficult to trade the ALSI after hours thru something like the IG platform as price discovery is very opaque, as you are effective trading an instrument that is the second derivative of the cash market (with safex futures being the 1st derivative). Just looking at some of the comments it seems that there are more than often very volatile and sometimes inexplicable swings (ie moves that simply can't be explained by what is happening on overseas markets at that moment)in the ALSI after market which can cause stops to be triggered. What are the changes that a big trader with a bit of capital can manipulate after hours trading (as I am pretty sure volumes must be thin during these after hours)and cause stops to be triggered resulting in "unfair"losses to the unexpected/less experienced speculators or investors. Personally I won't trade if I am not sure that the price on the screen is the true price...and the only way to know that for sure is if there is real volume going thru at that level. The rest if noise and can cause unnecessary losses to the less experienced trader. Just my thoughts...any comments will be appreciated.

#23348 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

I am no way a clever trader but it surely looks like a last spike up and now the drop will continue...

IG CASH

#23349 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

Another stupid question: If I hold long CFD positions with a total exposure of +-R240 000 and 3 short Micro SA40 positions, also with a total exposure of +-R240 000 (3 x 40000 x R2); am I fully hedged and "safe"?

It is seldom that you will be perfectly hedged using IG I think. The only way is when your long/short is in the money by the exact amount that the spread will cause you to incur that initial "loss" when you buy the other leg (long/short). Otherwise you wil just lock in a loss equal to the spread if you can long and short at the same price. Hope it makes sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#23350 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

Another stupid question: If I hold long CFD positions with a total exposure of +-R240 000 and 3 short Micro SA40 positions, also with a total exposure of +-R240 000 (3 x 40000 x R2); am I fully hedged and "safe"?

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#23351 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Me not trading ATM. Got some concussion the other day. These 200 - 300 swings during the day ..must be mentally strong from an intraday perspective.

You and me both bud.

I'm with you. I am relieved with a flat week and not red. Was too busy at work, so for every 100 points I gave 90 back.

#23352 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Anyone know why? Or just because its a moving average bounce???

Guys stupid question from my side...how successful are you trading ALSI after hours when there is no liquidity especially after close of futures market. How true are these prices when there are these wild swings after hours that causes you to be stopped out. I don't follow IG or any other online platform for that matter but is there any volume going thru at some of those levels? Sorry for appearing thick but I am not familiar with after hours trading

The post of hdb chubby posted last night explains it. It's linked to ftse and pound exchange rate. Normally it's difficult, but last two weeks has been pretty good market volatility. Btw, thanks for your explanation last night.

#23353 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Guys stupid question from my side...how successful are you trading ALSI after hours when there is no liquidity especially after close of futures market. How true are these prices when there are these wild swings after hours that causes you to be stopped out. I don't follow IG or any other online platform for that matter but is there any volume going thru at some of those levels? Sorry for appearing thick but I am not familiar with after hours trading

#23354 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Maybe the sellers ran away. Buyers are coming into February

I just have a long on DAX, already 100 points up

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#23355 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Me not trading ATM. Got some concussion the other day. These 200 - 300 swings during the day ..must be mentally strong from an intraday perspective.

You and me both bud.

#23356 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

Jip. Just because DOW and S&P came back from -1% to -0.4% :) It is going to be interesting. Good short opportunity here maybe! (if you trade IG)

#23357 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Jip. Just because DOW and S&P came back from -1% to -0.4% :)  It is going to be interesting. Good short opportunity here maybe! (if you trade IG)

#23358 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

#23359 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

US coming back, but there are still couple of hours left before close. Those with IG positions will be shocked! 

#23360 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

No I understand that..I think that we gonna end at 1768 ..Just curious as to whether S is bullish

I just bought DAX.

I'm only buying DAX in this termoil is over.

If we close the week above 1770 then next risk event will be NFP.

The market will move sideways, which will be good for scalp trades.

Weather the sideways movement will be for another leg down or start a bull move. It will depend on global data.

Enjoy the weekend.

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting