35854 replies to this topic

#13801 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

for the J200 to move strongly in one direction, the J210 & J213 have to pull together, which is evident in the chart.

yes!...good analysis Mhlato

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#13802 Ettas

Ettas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

To all the guy's that keep looking @ the USA & Europe for direction and believe that we have to play catch up to them, look @ the first two charts. (YTD figures in brackets)

The third chart will show you why we are still  in a sideway's channel and not following the above mentioned markets

I have said it in the past that for the J200 to move strongly in one direction, the J210 & J213 have to pull together, which is evident in the chart.

IMHO,for us to brakeout to the top, the J210 needs to get going now (upwards!) and the J213 must stay on course because a pullback there will means we will stay in this channel.

So, i am going to whatch those BIG 7 closely this week, they (and the ZAR) will provide direction.

Absolutely Great work Mhlato...Im stuck with longs looking to get to target of 47600 so I hope you right!!

But in saying that. Just looking at our heavyweights on Top 40 and on pure technical analysis not looking rosie. I hope Im wrong on that... and the GBP/ZAR looks like it could easily come back to 17.85ish again as well

#13803 TheSource187

TheSource187

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

it is NOT part of my trading system, which is purely based on price. the assumption being that price reflects most accurately all underlying factors? correlations/news/whatever comes later to explain such moves.

once you start to make gazillions as your intention is, there may be a need to look at other stuff (fundamentals etc) to decide where to put your cash. i spend mine on good wine and bad girls, KISS  :(  :lol:  :lol:

Yep, I also trade only what I see on the charts, everything else is mostly noise. 

lol, good wine and bad girls, that's a lovely combo,  B) I don't know what kind of FUNdamentals you're looking at that says girls and wine are good stores of wealth but I like it, much respect to you. 

Legal or illegal however you make your cash flow. 

#13804 RusQ

RusQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

na, I'm not looking for any clues of broad sentiment.. however that's a good tactic you're using, if I understand correctly, then the RUT and JSE Midcap indices are harbingers of S&P and ALSI moves? how has that been working for you? All I want is to see the correlation between those two indices (DOW & S&P), I like keeping things simple. I found something on the net now, "Pearson Correlation Coefficient Calculator". I think it will work but its going to take forever as I now have to enter all the data in manually.. anyway, where can I check which stocks make up an index like the midcaps? 

http://www.socscista...n/Default2.aspx

it is NOT part of my trading system, which is purely based on price. the assumption being that price reflects most accurately all underlying factors? correlations/news/whatever comes later to explain such moves.

once you start to make gazillions as your intention is, there may be a need to look at other stuff (fundamentals etc) to decide where to put your cash. i spend mine on good wine and bad girls, KISS  :(  :lol:  :lol:

Life is for living...

#13805 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

To all the guy's that keep looking @ the USA & Europe for direction and believe that we have to play catch up to them, look @ the first two charts. (YTD figures in brackets)

The third chart will show you why we are still  in a sideway's channel and not following the above mentioned markets

I have said it in the past that for the J200 to move strongly in one direction, the J210 & J213 have to pull together, which is evident in the chart.

IMHO,for us to brakeout to the top, the J210 needs to get going now (upwards!) and the J213 must stay on course because a pullback there will means we will stay in this channel.

So, i am going to whatch those BIG 7 closely this week, they (and the ZAR) will provide direction.

Dankie M!

Appreciated  ;)

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#13806 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

very nice analysis makes very good sense. 

Like it

G

#13807 Mhlato

Mhlato

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationNTvl

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

Attached Files

"Don't try to buy at the bottom and sell at the top. It can't be done, except by liars." - Bernard Baruch

#13808 Ettas

Ettas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

If moonstruck...

You bought on 10th and will sell on 25th

attachicon.gifnewmoon.jpg

looks like S&P levels of 1905 and 1991 is big indicators for where we heading, esp if we go below 1991 soon.....would you agree?

Edited by Ettas, 21 September 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#13809 TheSource187

TheSource187

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

tides lifts all boats? especially in the same harbour!

http://indexarb.com/...onentWtsDJ.html

the DOW is a price average of the constituents. historically (and you can judge for yourself if it is STILL so now) dominated by relative lightweights. imco, useless for anything but news headlines. you need to look at sub-sectors for early clues and then it depends on what you looking for. for me, broad sentiment is first expressed in the smaller counters. that would be the RUT over there and i keep an eye on our local midcaps which is the next 60 after top40 in market cap.

you have the tools, what you see?

na, I'm not looking for any clues of broad sentiment.. however that's a good tactic you're using, if I understand correctly, then the RUT and JSE Midcap indices are harbingers of S&P and ALSI moves? how has that been working for you? All I want is to see the correlation between those two indices (DOW & S&P), I like keeping things simple. I found something on the net now, "Pearson Correlation Coefficient Calculator". I think it will work but its going to take forever as I now have to enter all the data in manually.. anyway, where can I check which stocks make up an index like the midcaps? 

http://www.socscista...n/Default2.aspx

Edited by TheSource187, 20 September 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#13810 RusQ

RusQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hi thanks for the info, I know the dow is the industrial average, and the S&P is the top 500 companies, my aim is just to figure out whether its possible for the s&p to reverse at this point and head back down to those levels between 1984 & 1977, while the dow continues to rally. 

tides lifts all boats? especially in the same harbour!

http://indexarb.com/...onentWtsDJ.html

the DOW is a price average of the constituents. historically (and you can judge for yourself if it is STILL so now) dominated by relative lightweights. imco, useless for anything but news headlines. you need to look at sub-sectors for early clues and then it depends on what you looking for. for me, broad sentiment is first expressed in the smaller counters. that would be the RUT over there and i keep an eye on our local midcaps which is the next 60 after top40 in market cap.

you have the tools, what you see?

Life is for living...

#13811 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

If moonstruck...

You bought on 10th and will sell on 25th

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#13812 RBM

RBM

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

IMO... BearCatcher, Beorn(IG...only joking...hehe) and HDB are my top 3 contibutors to this forum, Argento great on the long term view

Edited by RBM, 20 September 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#13813 RBM

RBM

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

Funny yes. All the other crap we have to scroll through on a daily basis = not so funny.

But hey, maybe it is a mentality thing, who knows? It does start to feel like a primary school playground after all.

keeps the balance!

#13814 TheSource187

TheSource187

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

Have a look RustQ

Attached Files

#13815 TheSource187

TheSource187

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

there is no statistically significant correlation. they tend to move in the same direction, is all. you may want to read up about how the DOW is put together?

afterwards, do you think it is (or can be) a close proxy for anything on any but intrady scales?

your feedback will be appreciated!

Hi thanks for the info, I know the dow is the industrial average, and the S&P is the top 500 companies, my aim is just to figure out whether its possible for the s&p to reverse at this point and head back down to those levels between 1984 & 1977, while the dow continues to rally. 

#13816 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

fu2

lol.... Too many miss goody too shoes on this forum... Lovely response .... Hehehe

Funny yes. All the other crap we have to scroll through on a daily basis = not so funny.

But hey, maybe it is a mentality thing, who knows? It does start to feel like a primary school playground after all.

#13817 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Dude. How about you start by contributing something to this thread that has some substance. A "short/long at xxxx" and profanity doesn't really count for a whole lot. And as ettas mentioned, I really don't feel like scrolling through endless posts full of trolling and profanity. Yes, the forums is for everyone and no single person sets the rules and if I don't like it I don't have to be here, but this is getting distasteful and really quite childish to say the least.

fu2

I said what I wanted to say. I am not going to get involved in an argument with you. You are going to drag me down to your level and beat me with experience.

Edited by AJS, 20 September 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#13818 zoner

zoner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Please guys, just put away you're HUG WHL and let's add some VLE to this thread... okay!

Paranoid Android

#13819 RBM

RBM

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

fu2

lol.... Too many miss goody too shoes on this forum... Lovely response .... Hehehe

Edited by RBM, 20 September 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#13820 RusQ

RusQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

Does anyone know what the correlation is between the DOW and S&P500, or how to measure it? I'd like to see if I can figure out what the likelihood is that the DOW will continue making new highs and the S&P reverse from its current levels, any help would be much appreciated, thanks. 

there is no statistically significant correlation. they tend to move in the same direction, is all. you may want to read up about how the DOW is put together?

afterwards, do you think it is (or can be) a close proxy for anything on any but intrady scales?

your feedback will be appreciated!

Life is for living...

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting