46 replies to this topic

#1 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Has anyone here been to any of the IG seminars on market updates? Know if they any good and worthwhile? 

Rather go to traderscorner.co.za if you want to attend something of the like.

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#2 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Has anyone here been to any of the IG seminars on market updates? Know if they any good and worthwhile? 

Indicies and FX not such a good idea if you are a newbie. Equities are ok.

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#3 Investor1

Investor1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

It is what people actually did in the stock market that counted – not what they said they were going to do. - JL

#4 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Anybody else having trouble with their IGMarkets web based platform the past few days; being very unresponsive and slow and having the same effect on your browser?

The app on my iPad seems fine.

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#5 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

Anybody else having trouble with their IGMarkets web based platform the past few days; being very unresponsive and slow and having the same effect on your browser?

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#6 joker

joker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Hey guys. 

I've opened a demo account with IG markets and really like the interface. My goal is mainly trading the ALSI at this moment. I currently am using Standard bank and they charge a brokerage fee of 14 bucks per an ALSI trade. They have a high margin yes, but I that doesn't really bother me as it keeps me humble. I've noticed the spread on IG has been keeping to around 10 points.

My question is does SB use a spread as well.  And which of the two is cheaper to trade the ALSI?

#7 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

thanks, will let you guys know how it runs if i decide to subscribe.

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#8 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I used to use Swingtrader Ultra (in the days when they launched S2 - have been keeping tabs now and then and they seem to be going from strength to strength). Phenomenal platform ito entry and exit signals and high success rate if you stick to a good risk exposure / mgmt strategy.

One could argue it is a tad expensive, seeing you need to subscribe to PowerStocks (stock indicators - also a very good product and lekker graphical) as well, but as I recall, it was (last I checked) <R1.5k per month for both subscriptions. If you have a R100k account (for ALSI), your (high) potential monthly earnings should make this a non-issue to a greater degree.

Lekkery, are you using sharetrader or ultra? i trade mostly CFD and equities, seriously considering giving a mechanized trading platform a shot.

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#9 Lamarje

Lamarje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSprings

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

IG Markets is the best platform I have ever used...just love it

Edited by Mbuso, 28 October 2013 - 11:50 AM.

But I'm only a humble student subject to correction.

#10 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

For a nice sweetener, add a good helping of www.powerstocks.co.za and you are well set.

Lekkery, are you using sharetrader or ultra? i trade mostly CFD and equities, seriously considering giving a mechanized trading platform a shot.

Edited by delta66, 28 October 2013 - 10:30 AM.

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#11 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Overall impression is good to excellent. The only gripe is the spread on ALSI contracts in the day (when price volatility ? ) which can exceed 40 points (objective) and the seemingly 20 point (subjective  :rolleyes:  ) spread most of the time (when I trade), but that is part of your price factoring if you get your momentum going.

When holding long term positions, do consider:

- after hours spread increase @ 17:30 (until 08:30) to 30/1 points

- financing costs holding your position overnight

The payment (to and fro) is excellent in all aspects. The platform gives you very good tools and charts.

For a nice sweetener, add a good helping of www.powerstocks.co.za and you are well set.

All, is thw overall take on IGM still fairly positive or not?

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#12 smurison01

smurison01

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

They were awarded best Cfd provider in South Africa by Businessday Investors Monthly For the second year in a row last month

#13 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

#14 Investor1

Investor1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Make sure you subscribed for Direst market acess so that you can trade in the auction.

Does anyone get better rates with IG for same day cfd trades???

Thanks, Got it! in the past I've seen huge volatility in the auction. like 5-10% cheaper or more expensive than the actual price, so is it realistic to take positions on trades like that? or am i missing something. 

It is what people actually did in the stock market that counted – not what they said they were going to do. - JL

#15 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Make sure you subscribed for Direst market acess so that you can trade in the auction.

Does anyone get better rates with IG for same day cfd trades???

Just got my ig market account opened this week and must say at first glance its very impressive and can see the improvements moving from SB OST. Havent made any trades as yet so still got to experience that but overall i like what im seeing  :)

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#16 Investor1

Investor1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Just got my ig market account opened this week and must say at first glance its very impressive and can see the improvements moving from SB OST. Havent made any trades as yet so still got to experience that but overall i like what im seeing  :)

#17 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

BBW i will tell you for the second time again...

THERE IS NO SPREADS USED BY IG ON CFD SHARE TRADING..

They use the actual buy and sell as per the JSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IGmarkets just widens and closes their spread on CFD's as they see fit! OCE today from +-150 to +-50! How can one trade with a trailing stop with such manipulation going on!!?

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#18 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

IGmarkets just widens and closes their spread on CFD's as they see fit! OCE today from +-150 to +-50! How can one trade with a trailing stop with such manipulation going on!!?

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#19 Tequila

Tequila

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Not just you, I see yesterday's values too.

#20 MillionDollar

MillionDollar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

is online share trading showing the previous days values for anyone else or just me?

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting