814 replies to this topic

#681 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

lol,,bought OCE when brokers screamed "fully valued" a short while back, look at it today +35% and new acquisitions in the pipeline.  good company with sales coming from abroad to offset the ever weakening Rand. 

Edited by delta66, 05 June 2013 - 12:03 PM.

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#682 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

Orca, nothing touches CML, but have you had a look at OCE yet? Even less volatile.

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#683 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Thanks gamma. I have used CFD shorts for specific holdings.

no problem.

one more point.. if you have numerous shares and are worried about a general market correction then you can also just short the ALSI. This can work even better at times as sometimes the market will drop by 5% while your holdings drop by say 3%, which can give you a net 2% if you hedged 1:1

Ofcourse the converse is also possible...

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#684 grumpy old man

grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

I use CFD shorts to hedge my long term portfolio when I think a share is overbought.

I try not to sell my long terms to avoid being hit by SARS.

This works well.

You can also use warrants to insure your long holdings. In the US I use options, easy to trade. In SA not that transparant to use warrants so CFDs work okayish.

Thanks gamma. I have used CFD shorts for specific holdings.

#685 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Unfortunately CML is in new territory and nobody could predict it's outcome LDT and ex divi. So hedging would have been a gamble. I thought perhaps big investors would scramble to get in for the divi but unfortunately they were in already and small timers scrambled to get out at profit on Friday as their small volumes would not have been worth the divi. This dropped it on Friday.

Today was a red day and CML going ex as well is just bad luck. Then again, it does not normally follow the trend. (not checked price since 4 pm).

My other 2, PNC and MTA are also red as expected in this market.

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#686 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

I posted in another thread awhile back that I so wished for a CHEAP way of locking in profits but as yet I havent found it. Im guessing a number of us that have portfolios have seen a substantial erosion of worth during the past week.

So its not just the weather that is miserable today.... :(

I use CFD shorts to hedge my long term portfolio when I think a share is overbought.

I try not to sell my long terms to avoid being hit by SARS.

This works well.

You can also use warrants to insure your long holdings. In the US I use options, easy to trade. In SA not that transparant to use warrants so CFDs work okayish.

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#687 grumpy old man

grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

With the money I lost over the past 2 trading sessions I could have bought a brand new Chev Spark. :(

I posted in another thread awhile back that I so wished for a CHEAP way of locking in profits but as yet I havent found it. Im guessing a number of us that have portfolios have seen a substantial erosion of worth during the past week.

So its not just the weather that is miserable today.... :(

#688 brads

brads

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

With the money I lost over the past 2 trading sessions I could have bought a brand new Chev Spark. :(

HAHA...ditto :-( 

#689 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

#690 smiley

smiley

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

BAT(Brait SE) bucking the trend today up 4% on decent volumes...pleasantly surprised.

Its is only one of two that is in positive territory from my stocks  :rolleyes:

#691 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

BAT(Brait SE) bucking the trend today up 4% on decent volumes...pleasantly surprised.

#692 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have a 6 figure sum in CML and the high PE disturbs me as I was used to it being around 13 for years. CML has nothing to compare to. It is on it's own.

We will get direction this week.

If CMLs PE disturbs you why would you be comfortable with MDCs?

CML is on a fwd PE of 16-17 while MDC is on a fwd of 21 (Bloomberg data)

#693 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

LHC has a high PE. From this comparison chart, you can see the reason I would choose MDC over LHC.attachicon.gifLHCvsMDC.jpg

If you held both over 3 years (the time you need to to ensure you pay CGT) you will see the comparison chart paints a very different picture...

#694 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

if buying on a P/E basis you might as well stick to CML, REM is at 23.82 comparable to the index at around 19  they all in the same stable in my opinion(overpriced) in saying that i'll be watching for clearer direction on CML this week now that they running ex div, might pick up a chunk at good price.

I have a 6 figure sum in CML and the high PE disturbs me as I was used to it being around 13 for years. CML has nothing to compare to. It is on it's own.

We will get direction this week.

#695 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hi ORCA, have a look at Remgro, a very good quality share which will also satisfy your needs, even less volatile than MDC ;)

if buying on a P/E basis you might as well stick to CML, REM is at 23.82 comparable to the index at around 19  they all in the same stable in my opinion(overpriced) in saying that i'll be watching for clearer direction on CML this week now that they running ex div, might pick up a chunk at good price.

#696 Stefan

Stefan

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Hi ORCA, have a look at Remgro, a very good quality share which will also satisfy your needs, even less volatile than MDC ;)

Attached Files

#697 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

LHC has a high PE. From this comparison chart, you can see the reason I would choose MDC over LHC.attachicon.gifLHCvsMDC.jpg

Fair point! :rolleyes:

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#698 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Same here, just got some hail in Stellenbosch! :blink:

What about Life Healthcare Orca?

LHC has a high PE. From this comparison chart, you can see the reason I would choose MDC over LHC.Attached File  LHCvsMDC.jpg   148.58KB   40 downloads

#699 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Rain. Rain and more rain. Stuck at home. What to do? Researching stocks is a good idea as my as 3 stocks have become too volatile for my requirements. BTW my requirements are a good history of smooth gains and of course good fundamentals going forward as I will need to make monthly withdrawals for my income.

CML my old favorite since 2009 is still good even though a correction may be looming.

PNC. ZAR has wacked it somewhat and may continue to do so for some time.

MTA. Has become more volatile since April.

Found MDC. Fits my requirements to a tee. Geez. Why did I not find this stock long time ago? Now to decide what to do. Sell PNC or MTA? At this stage I think PNC as the ZAR will stay soft for a long time.

Eish. Hail and thunder in Cape Town!! Big Hail is unheard of here. No DSTV.. Hope this goes through.

Same here, just got some hail in Stellenbosch! :blink:

What about Life Healthcare Orca?

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#700 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Rain. Rain and more rain. Stuck at home. What to do? Researching stocks is a good idea as my as 3 stocks have become too volatile for my requirements. BTW my requirements are a good history of smooth gains and of course good fundamentals going forward as I will need to make monthly withdrawals for my income.

CML my old favorite since 2009 is still good even though a correction may be looming.

PNC. ZAR has wacked it somewhat and may continue to do so for some time.

MTA. Has become more volatile since April.

Found MDC. Fits my requirements to a tee. Geez. Why did I not find this stock long time ago? Now to decide what to do. Sell PNC or MTA? At this stage I think PNC as the ZAR will stay soft for a long time.

Eish. Hail and thunder in Cape Town!! Big Hail is unheard of here. No DSTV.. Hope this goes through.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting