814 replies to this topic

#701 Moonraker

Moonraker

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationGeorge

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Very interesting. ALL my stocks are down, even my rand hedge stocks; yet the JSE is hitting record highs. Does that indicate a huge sector shift, to mining and resources?!

Yes, BTI and especially SAB underperformed the FTSE 100 in the past week or so (quite substantially). Being touted Rand hedge stocks, they have not benefitted from the weaker Rand as much as one would expect ( due to the disgusting performance in London). 

http://markets.ft.co...?symbol=BTI:JNB

http://markets.ft.co...?symbol=SAB:JNB

#702 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

could very well be...my bet is that it will be short lived until the next round of strikes though.  to be honest cant see more upside coming off of current levels for SA mines/resources

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#703 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Interesting t times.  The JSE hit record high this morning and yet there's a lot of negativity around.  It might be a good time to start buying gold.

Very interesting. ALL my stocks are down, even my rand hedge stocks; yet the JSE is hitting record highs. Does that indicate a huge sector shift, to mining and resources?!

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#704 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Interesting t times.  The JSE hit record high this morning and yet there's a lot of negativity around.  It might be a good time to start buying gold.

Not so sure about that. Last time stocks tanked I bought gold and it tanked with equities.

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#705 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

#706 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

yes, the rand defo has had a knockdown effect on PNC.  looks like we heading into worse in the next few days/weeks. many of my stocks losing percentage on the weakening rand and waning investor confidence.

Your not alone, I'm down 8% in last month.. I see lot of stocks taking big knocks, wondering how low it will go! I'm arranging some cash for possible buys if crashes :)

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#707 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

yes, the rand defo has had a knockdown effect on PNC.  looks like we heading into worse in the next few days/weeks. many of my stocks losing percentage on the weakening rand and waning investor confidence.

#708 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

PNC broke through 2250 support. Hopefully it is only a short overshoot. ZAR hurting her big time.

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#709 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

IVT results out, only 5% higher on HEPS...buy opportunity or exit time??

#710 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Out at R1.35!! :)

Holding half...sold half at R1.24 and looking at selling balance at R1.35!!

made good profits so im not gonna complain or wait for more upside!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#711 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Holding half...sold half at R1.24 and looking at selling balance at R1.35!!

made good profits so im not gonna complain or wait for more upside!!

First real touch of R1.30 let's see if it all follows through...? HDB you still holding...?

It's arrived a day or 2 before my prediction, me thinks there's still some profit takers lurking in the long grass ready to sell in the late R1.20's.

Results will give some clear indication of it's status as a junior miner with good PROFITABLE growth potential. 

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#712 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Tell us a bit more about Wecoal Soutie (if you don't mind!)

First real touch of R1.30 let's see if it all follows through...? HDB you still holding...?

It's arrived a day or 2 before my prediction, me thinks there's still some profit takers lurking in the long grass ready to sell in the late R1.20's.

Results will give some clear indication of it's status as a junior miner with good PROFITABLE growth potential. 

Anyone need a heads up...!

#713 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

300% after 5 years is ~25% a year x 5 compounded. 

Doable

Your portfolio seems a bit large though. you list 19 stocks above. larger the port the more it tends toward the index

Yes, it is a problem for me. That's why I asked the question somewhere else about what criteria to use to sell a share. I've actually got more and all doing OK. Now trying to keep the best. Those 5 real LT shares are already on my list, but looking for about 5 more. I'm really looking for only the best, as I want to leave all this "trading" and go climb mountains!

Edited by BBW, 28 May 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#714 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Yes, bought less than a month ago. The only shares I really hold long term, come what may, are CML, APN, WHL, BAT and REM. All the rest - ELI, EOH, OCE, MND, NPN, SAB, IVT, CPI, SHP, SPG, AVI, RES, SUR, GRW, etc are to be cut if they don't perform.

30% p.a. is the least I'm happy with; aiming for 300%+ over 5 years.

300% after 5 years is ~25% a year x 5 compounded. 

Doable

Your portfolio seems a bit large though. you list 19 stocks above. larger the port the more it tends toward the index

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#715 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

lol..can't agree more..

BBW, you're a hard man to please when growth of 100% and 30% does not satisfy you!

Although I assume you bought recently and havent seen those gains?

btw, I'd be a bit worried about listed property at the moment

http://www.moneyweb....erty-surge-over

Yes, bought less than a month ago. The only shares I really hold long term, come what may, are CML, APN, WHL, BAT and REM. All the rest - ELI, EOH, OCE, MND, NPN, SAB, IVT, CPI, SHP, SPG, AVI, RES, SUR, GRW, etc are to be cut if they don't perform.

30% p.a. is the least I'm happy with; aiming for 300%+ over 5 years.

Edited by BBW, 27 May 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#716 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

You're right, been thinking that way myself, but I like to keep my portfolio "agile/active" and at least TRY and time things right (maybe more of a shortterm-longterm portfolio); both Reuters and FT has a Sell on Spur. Have both shares not maybe had their growth for the next year or 2 already? Would rather put the money in shares moving up, even though I agree with you, they're both still good for long term, me thinks.

Ask Orca how many times brokers have had a 'sell' on CML over the past 2 years...

Use your own judgment, ignore the analysts

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#717 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

SUR is up 100% in 12 months and GRT is up 30% over same period. If you holding in a LT portfolio, why do you wanna sell?

You're right, been thinking that way myself, but I like to keep my portfolio "agile/active" and at least TRY and time things right (maybe more of a shortterm-longterm portfolio); both Reuters and FT has a Sell on Spur. Have both shares not maybe had their growth for the next year or 2 already? Would rather put the money in shares moving up, even though I agree with you, they're both still good for long term, me thinks.

#718 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

SUR is up 100% in 12 months and GRT is up 30% over same period. If you holding in a LT portfolio, why do you wanna sell?

lol..can't agree more..

BBW, you're a hard man to please when growth of 100% and 30% does not satisfy you!

Although I assume you bought recently and havent seen those gains?

btw, I'd be a bit worried about listed property at the moment

http://www.moneyweb....erty-surge-over

#719 Trading the Price

Trading the Price

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRandburg

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:43 PM

Spur & Growthpoint - Should I hold on to these two laggers in my portfolio? I understand why GRT is dropping a bit, but SUR??

ALSI Futures

#720 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Spur & Growthpoint - Should I hold on to these two laggers in my portfolio? I understand why GRT is dropping a bit, but SUR??

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting