561 replies to this topic

#321 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:24 AM

Keith Mclachlan is a bit of a hit and miss IMO. If youre into small caps Anthony Clarke is your man. Hes got a great history with small and OTC caps.

Actually I know both these guys and the one thing I can tell you is that Keith is at least honest. Keep in mind no-one is infallible, especially when it comes to stockpicking. Clarke on the other hand is only interested in self marketing so will never admit mistakes and only trumpet his winners. His tips are worth investigating sure but I strongly suggest to not buy and sell on his calls. 

In the end, don't trust any analyst, especially the one's who spend all day tweeting about how clever they are...

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#322 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi Bossie.
You will learn more by following Keith McLachlan or if your'e into subscriptions try traders corner rather than Red Hot (after the fact) Penny shares.
One of the attractions of penny stock is the fantastic "possible" returns however you need to punt on ones that have a potential game changer.
Mine is Jubilee MASSIVE opportunity here pity the CEO is a Knob & the chairman is a gobshite.
That said I've lost more than half my original stake. So pick one that will give you the "potential" overnight Ka-ching & leave the rest.

P.S. Wescoal is not a penny stock it's a very junior coal miner & trader  ;)  The next Glencore..... :D  :D  :D 

Keith Mclachlan is a bit of a hit and miss IMO. If youre into small caps Anthony Clarke is your man. Hes got a great history with small and OTC caps.

#323 Bossie940

Bossie940

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Thanks again for all the help you guys are great

Bossie

#324 Bossie940

Bossie940

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanks again for all the help you guys are great

Bossie

#325 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the advice and I agree it is a tricky market to invest and requires a lot of research. But when you pick a winner the profit is high. Also I am a subscriber at red hot penny shares and get a lot of info and tips from them. Regards Bossie

Bossie

Hi Bossie.

You will learn more by following Keith McLachlan or if your'e into subscriptions try traders corner rather than Red Hot (after the fact) Penny shares.

One of the attractions of penny stock is the fantastic "possible" returns however you need to punt on ones that have a potential game changer.

Mine is Jubilee MASSIVE opportunity here pity the CEO is a Knob & the chairman is a gobshite.

That said I've lost more than half my original stake. So pick one that will give you the "potential" overnight Ka-ching & leave the rest.

P.S. Wescoal is not a penny stock it's a very junior coal miner & trader  ;)  The next Glencore..... :D  :D  :D 

Anyone need a heads up...!

#326 Bossie940

Bossie940

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks guys I will definitely have a re look at my strategy. All help is welcome

Bossie

#327 GDP

GDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the advice and I agree it is a tricky market to invest and requires a lot of research. But when you pick a winner the profit is high. Also I am a subscriber at red hot penny shares and get a lot of info and tips from them. Regards Bossie

Bossie

Bossie, that is where I got my advice from.......be very careful

#328 Saints

Saints

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Guys be careful with loading your portfolios with penny stocks and some small caps. They are great when the market is going up but when it drops they come down quickly. Red Hot Penny shares may not necessarily pass that advise onto you.

Keith McLachlan who does post on this forum I think has a strategy for augmenting a small cap portfolio with ETFs. He has given presentations on his methodology which is available on justonelap.co.za Using ETFs in your small cap portfolio allows portions of your portfolio to track the market whilst small caps will increase or decrease well above and below the market movements.

Hendrik made an excellent comment about separating the SA economy from the JSE. The JSE offers opportunities to shield yourself against the bad news released yesterday that we may be heading into recession if this quarter produces a negative GDP growth. It can be said that the JSE is usually ahead of the economy with its performance.

#329 Bossie940

Bossie940

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:25 AM

Bossie

#330 GDP

GDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I am new and only do penny shares

Aquaruis
AVL (bought at 160)
VIS
RLF
POY
ESR

Watch list

Wescoal
Keaton

Bossie

Hi Bossie,

I started 7 years ago with only penny shares. What a disaster. Lost most of my money. Learnt since then and now have blue chips domination my portfolio. Anyway be careful as I am sure others here have also already paid school fees on these shares.

#331 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

I think that, the J.S.E. is a penny market, and when our gov is finish with it it will be even more worthless.

Seriously, what is the average price of the top 40 shares on the L.S.E, and the N.Y.S.E, google it and look, when you are busy with that check out the minimum margin requirement for S&P future contracts.

Wow! Slowly we are being put in our place, did you know that in the 1960's it was 2 Dollars for 1 Rand. Some of us still remember that I hope.

I think that, the J.S.E. is a penny market, and when our gov is finish with it it will be even more worthless.

Seriously, what is the average price of the top 40 shares on the L.S.E, and the N.Y.S.E, google it and look, when you are busy with that check out the minimum margin requirement for S&P future contracts.

Wow! Slowly we are being put in our place, did you know that in the 1960's it was 2 Dollars for 1 Rand. Some of us still remember that I hope.

not sure i agree with you.If you look at all the new international listings the JSE has been getting... its a vibrant bourse that offers plenty of liquidity. Dont confuse the performance of th SA economy with the JSE. They are unrelated entities.

#332 cdb999

cdb999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Hi, portfolio as follows:

ADI 24%
ADW 3%
POY 12%
PPE 1%
VIS 8%
AFT 4%
ASC 5%
ASO 2%
CRG 6%
FGL 14%
COH 15%
CSG 6%

Sent from my D5503 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#333 Bossie940

Bossie940

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

I am new and only do penny shares

Aquaruis
AVL (bought at 160)
VIS
RLF
POY
ESR

Watch list

Wescoal
Keaton

Bossie

#334 TradeBit

TradeBit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

For me, a company under a billion rand qualifies as a penny share.

#335 Rosh

Rosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hey Guys

Here is my portfolio (P.S: I am a small time investor);

1. FirstRand (14%) - Entered in at R31.69
  2. Gooderson (6%) - Entered in at R0.61 (this is a long term punt)
  3. Rand Merchant Insurance (20%) - Entered in at R24.65
  4. RBA (6%) - Entered in at R0.12 (this is a long term punt)
  5. Santova (11%) - Entered in at R1.20
  6. Torre (43%) - Entered in at R2.44

Please feel free to rip it to shreds  :D Any feedback is positive feedback.

#336 jhwolmarans

jhwolmarans

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:39 PM

well folks, thought i would add my portfolio.  All comments and suggestions are welcome.  I have another R80k to invest at present.  Tending towards either increasing KIO or GPL.  Might also go for a new share - any advice.

Sappi - 2%

Pinnacle - 2%

Jubilee - 3%

Metair - 4%

Glencore - 4%

Steinhoff - 5%

Kumba - 5%

Massmart - 6%

Goldfields - 7%

Barclays - 9%

Grand Parade - 10%

Pick 'n Pay - 12%

Merafe - 31%

Ok, it is a bit overloaded with minerals and small caps :wacko:  :lol:.  I think that all adds up to 99% - with 1% in Faritec which is suspended :angry:

31% in merafe is too much for longterm portfolio. imo i will sell most of these resources and add Sasol and BHP. Maybe MTN on a pullback. Keep cash in hand and when there is a pullback buy good quality companies like APN, BVT, WHL, OML.

#337 mgorila

mgorila

• PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationWest Africa...

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

forgot to mention that i am in it for the long run

#338 mgorila

mgorila

• PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationWest Africa...

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

well folks, thought i would add my portfolio.  All comments and suggestions are welcome.  I have another R80k to invest at present.  Tending towards either increasing KIO or GPL.  Might also go for a new share - any advice.

Sappi - 2%

Pinnacle - 2%

Jubilee - 3%

Metair - 4%

Glencore - 4%

Steinhoff - 5%

Kumba - 5%

Massmart - 6%

Goldfields - 7%

Barclays - 9%

Grand Parade - 10%

Pick 'n Pay - 12%

Merafe - 31%

Ok, it is a bit overloaded with minerals and small caps :wacko:  :lol:.  I think that all adds up to 99% - with 1% in Faritec which is suspended :angry:

#339 wezzo

wezzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

CML -100%

I read that entirely wrong. 

#340 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip