561 replies to this topic

#361 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Shot for the advice guys: not doubting the long term returns of this company, but think the share might rally lower just because of the ridiculous dilution when PSG converts the full bond. Am sure they will do it over time to not cause too much havoc..but it will dilute it quite hectically

What are the figures regarding this dilution?
What kind of impact are we looking at?

Maybe it's time to find some reserves and be ready (while we wait)

#362 Shrewed

Shrewed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Shot for the advice guys: not doubting the long term returns of this company, but think the share might rally lower just because of the ridiculous dilution when PSG converts the full bond. Am sure they will do it over time to not cause too much havoc..but it will dilute it quite hectically

#363 Devonvest

Devonvest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDurban

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Don't worry bud. I'm also in there. About 10% of my portfolio. So the last couple weeks has been tough. But like Sugafoot said, it's May. One would probably be wise to top up at these levels, but I'm not so sure we've seen the bottom quite yet.

#364 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:30 PM

Been taking a beating on POY: bought on impulse at just below 400. With the dilution in shares ahead if PSG converts their bond - should I let it go and try to get in again below 300, or ride the wave & keep it for years to see decent returns? Any thoughts?

Unless you need the money urgently I'll hold, why do you want to sell? Just top up on the dips, and with PSG on board i'll ride it out if I where you, made too many similar mistakes just to see it bight me in the ....!

Shrewed, hang in there. It's May and that generally is a tough month.
I'm also in there.
Wish I had some spare capital to top up.

#365 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Been taking a beating on POY: bought on impulse at just below 400. With the dilution in shares ahead if PSG converts their bond - should I let it go and try to get in again below 300, or ride the wave & keep it for years to see decent returns? Any thoughts?

Unless you need the money urgently I'll hold, why do you want to sell? Just top up on the dips, and with PSG on board i'll ride it out if I where you, made too many similar mistakes just to see it bight me in the ....!

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#366 Shrewed

Shrewed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

#367 JLFB

JLFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Hi Guys,

New to Sharechat so thought I'd post my portfolio to see if I can get any recommendations:

DSY = 20%

IPL = 20%

KIO = 20%

SUN INT = 10%

FINBOND  = 10%

ADAPTIT = 10%

UBUBELE = 10%

Looking to dilute Imperial and Kumba when the time is right. Please feel free to scrutinize. Looking to add Poynting and Mix Tel

Edited by JLFB, 09 May 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#368 Procrastinator

Procrastinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

REI 45%
SNV 9.7%
CSP 11%
GND 12.3%
ITE 7%
SOV 8.3%
BSS 6%

LT view on all, started swing trading on Gnd ( we will see how that goes)
My LT ten bagger hopes are Csp and Bss (my punts)
Goof ups to date - got stop loss clipped out of Brait at 48, now flying at 56, s$&@@t ,,!!
Where did those damn 10 baggers go?

#369 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Cash - 100%

Sold Reinet at 2434.

#370 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Holding for the long term (3-5) years. It's a bit of a wildcard punt (which is why it's only 2% of my portfolio). They've sold their loss making agriculture business and their cryo-save investment has the potential to take off if executed properly.

If it goes to **** you can always convert to Jack!

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#371 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

John Daniel holdings - 2% :( what's the story here (how long, etc) ??

Holding for the long term (3-5) years. It's a bit of a wildcard punt (which is why it's only 2% of my portfolio). They've sold their loss making agriculture business and their cryo-save investment has the potential to take off if executed properly.

#372 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

John Daniel holdings - 2%  :(  what's the story here (how long, etc) ??

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#373 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Metair - 15%
Barclays - 10%
Goldfields - 10%
Arb holdings - 15%
Lonmin - 5%
Growthpoint - 10%
Zeder - 5%
Mix telematics - 5%
Comair - 5%
African bank - 5%
Atlatsa Resources - 3%
John Daniel holdings - 2%
Cash - 10%

#374 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Thanks HendrikB - appreciated :)

I'll have a closer look at EOH and just get up to speed on what's happening at the company.  Their FY estimates will be released on 11 September, that's 144 days.  (So a lot of opportunity cost if the share price is just going to be moving sideways)

I did just re-look Zeder and re-affirm that I like the share\story - the creation of a platform for commercial grain production hubs.  So similar to MTN which most likely has a powerful platform for managing telecommunication services in different countries, Zeder is trying to develop a platform for grain production (but sure, the other parts of the business is also attractive)

October 2012: [source]

Continuation of the story from their last results:

(Mpongwe Milling, which has been privately owned by a family since 2006, is a leading maize and wheat mill in the Copperbelt province of Zambia and has been operating as such for over a decade.)

Zeder's biggest holdings is in Pioneer Foods and Capespan.  I think what they're doing in Zambia has yet to affect the bottomline.  It's a good story, but my hope is for Zeder to consolidate the agriculture industry in Safrica and get bigger through aquisitions.

#375 vlam

vlam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

thats a nice portfolio although ill be tempted to sell EOH now.Zeder is fine. Its one of my biggest holdings and im optimistic about its prospects.

Thanks HendrikB - appreciated :)

I'll have a closer look at EOH and just get up to speed on what's happening at the company.  Their FY estimates will be released on 11 September, that's 144 days.  (So a lot of opportunity cost if the share price is just going to be moving sideways)

I did just re-look Zeder and re-affirm that I like the share\story - the creation of a platform for commercial grain production hubs.  So similar to MTN which most likely has a powerful platform for managing telecommunication services in different countries, Zeder is trying to develop a platform for grain production (but sure, the other parts of the business is also attractive)

October 2012: [source]

Zeder invested in Chayton in April as the platform from which it intends building commercial grain production hubs in sub-Sahara Africa. Chayton’s first investment is in Zambia and consists of 4 000 hectares of irrigated farm land. “We invested a further R276.9m to expand the farming operation and upgrade the irrigation and water infrastructure,” says Celliers.

Continuation of the story from their last results:

8. Events subsequent to to the reporting date
The acquisition of Mpongwe Milling that was announced on SENS on 13 November 2013, became effective after the reporting date and is being
implemented at present.

(Mpongwe Milling, which has been privately owned by a family since 2006, is a leading maize and wheat mill in the Copperbelt province of Zambia and has been operating as such for over a decade.)

#376 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

13,20% Wescoal Holdings Ltd. (WSL)
13,24% MTN Group Ltd. (MTN)
12,52% Sasol Ltd. (SOL)
11,17% Steinhoff International Holdings Ltd (SHF)
9,08%   EOH Holdings Ltd. (EOH)
7,45%   Ansys Ltd. (ANS)
6,87%   Grindrod Ltd. (GND)
5,83%   Adcock Ingram Holdings Ltd. (AIP)
5,15%   Zeder Investments Ltd. (ZED)
2,40%   Intu Properties plc (ITU)

12,85% Cash, cash reserved for pending orders, positions that need more analysis

Pending tasks
1) analyze Wescoal long-term prospects more
2) analyze Ansys long-term prospects more

Thoughts
1) I'm not sure about Zeder's long term valuation, but I like the story so I'll see how it goes.
2) I only have 2,40% property in the form of Intu Properties plc - I picked it up long ago with a few loose cents in my account, currently not really interested in property stock (just a reflection of my interests, nothing sector-specific)
3) I'd like to own Shoprite (ie an African retailer), I'll sit on the side lines for now as interest rates go up...?

Any thoughts appreciated, the portfolio might not be balanced - I just look at things that interest me and invest as cashflow allows at that point in time (should have picked up WAY MORE Grindrod in hindsight)

thats a nice portfolio although ill be tempted to sell EOH now.Zeder is fine. Its one of my biggest holdings and im optimistic about its prospects.

#377 vlam

vlam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

13,20% Wescoal Holdings Ltd. (WSL)

13,24% MTN Group Ltd. (MTN)

12,52% Sasol Ltd. (SOL)

11,17% Steinhoff International Holdings Ltd (SHF)

9,08%   EOH Holdings Ltd. (EOH)

7,45%   Ansys Ltd. (ANS)

6,87%   Grindrod Ltd. (GND)

5,83%   Adcock Ingram Holdings Ltd. (AIP)

5,15%   Zeder Investments Ltd. (ZED)

2,40%   Intu Properties plc (ITU)

12,85% Cash, cash reserved for pending orders, positions that need more analysis

Pending tasks

1) analyze Wescoal long-term prospects more

2) analyze Ansys long-term prospects more

Thoughts

1) I'm not sure about Zeder's long term valuation, but I like the story so I'll see how it goes.

2) I only have 2,40% property in the form of Intu Properties plc - I picked it up long ago with a few loose cents in my account, currently not really interested in property stock (just a reflection of my interests, nothing sector-specific)

3) I'd like to own Shoprite (ie an African retailer), I'll sit on the side lines for now as interest rates go up...?

Any thoughts appreciated, the portfolio might not be balanced - I just look at things that interest me and invest as cashflow allows at that point in time (should have picked up WAY MORE Grindrod in hindsight)

Edited by vlam-hobbyist, 17 April 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#378 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Portfolio as it currently stands

Sasol                        18%

Phuthuma Nathi 1     15%

Sibanye                    20%

Kumba                      20%

ARH                          10%

Cash                         17%

Decreased my Sibanye holding over the past two days, hence cash is quite high. Also invested a ARH two weeks ago at 5.85 average cost. Nice little business that.

I'm looking for a 1 additional investment. Struggling to find anything at the moment.

Any comments given my current portfolio and shares I should be looking at?

I'm a bit overweight resources, but I'm struggling to find value in other sectors of the market. 

I'm not clearly not a fan of having too many shares in a portfolio (finance theory on diversification notwithstanding).

Not that I know much, but think you need some real estate there; have a look at Mas Real Estate (MSP).

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#379 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Since then I've acquired Sibanye (Jan)

disposed of BAT (March) and Steinhoff (March) and currently building a position in Kumba.

Sasol and Phuthuma Nathi remain unchanged. 

Still monitoring Ellies, Mix Tel, Ukhamba (Imperial's BEE) and MTN Zakhele.

Santova has run and no longer attractive from a valuation standpoint. (These were my famous last words re AdaptIT a year ago)

New on my radar are ARB Holdings, 

Portfolio as it currently stands

Sasol                        18%

Phuthuma Nathi 1     15%

Sibanye                    20%

Kumba                      20%

ARH                          10%

Cash                         17%

Decreased my Sibanye holding over the past two days, hence cash is quite high. Also invested a ARH two weeks ago at 5.85 average cost. Nice little business that.

I'm looking for a 1 additional investment. Struggling to find anything at the moment.

Any comments given my current portfolio and shares I should be looking at?

I'm a bit overweight resources, but I'm struggling to find value in other sectors of the market. 

I'm not clearly not a fan of having too many shares in a portfolio (finance theory on diversification notwithstanding).

Yes, I will take your money!  :ph34r:

#380 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thanks - Yeah NPN's volitility atm playing havoc with portfolio values. Had a larger holding but started to get a bit nervous when this volitility started, thus sold a few % when price hit 1300 last month, hence cash is so high.

Yes Everything feels toppish...I have no conviction on anything right now.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting