• 208 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Got a fairly simple portfolio but hey everyone has to start some where

RMBT40 34.74%
RMBMID 5.54%
BIL 19.99%
FSR 20.82%
GRT 18.9%

Until I know what I doing I gonna keep it simple :-)

For sure - I don't like to have more than 5 counters in my portfolio peroid.

In my experience, over diversification dilutes returns.

If you really take the time to do proper research and know the stock comprehensively - why not put it in, balls deep.

#162 Hooligan

Hooligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

Sold off CIL, GPL and FBR - not much left in the tank for these, well IMO over the short term anyway.

Topping up SHF and ROC.

#163 neilza

neilza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:58 PM

Got a fairly simple portfolio but hey everyone has to start some where

RMBT40 34.74%
RMBMID 5.54%
BIL 19.99%
FSR 20.82%
GRT 18.9%

Until I know what I doing I gonna keep it simple :-)

#164 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

Share Code Profit (Loss) (%) % of Equities A V I AVI 37.4 5.73% ARROW A AWA 23.15 4.08% BATS BTI 38.5 2.24% BIDVEST BVT 2.22 1.68% CLIENTELE CLI 12.64 0.38% CORONAT CML 49.76 9.55% CAPITEC CPI 116.34 5.05% FORTRESSA FFA 13.48 1.32% GRANPRADE GPL 21.58 1.40% GROWPNT GRT 21.99 2.97% HYPROP HYP 22.16 7.40% IMPERIAL IPL -8.99 0.92% INTUPLC ITU 21.43 3.24% MMI HLDGS MMI 53.13 2.05% MR PRICE MPC 63.62 8.30% MTN GROUP MTN -2.61 4.52% NEPI NEP 11.54 1.81% NAMPAK NPK 12.81 2.30% OLDMUTUAL OML 22.05 3.65% PERGRIN PGR 28.19 2.27% REDEFINE RDF 19.27 2.77% RHODES RFG 9.92 1.98% RMIH RMI 41.03 3.27% ROCKCASTLE ROC 49.52 4.15% RI PLC RPL 32.17 5.24% SA CORP SAC 27.67 2.77% SANLAM SLM 25.47 2.14% SIRIUS SRE 0.35 1.16% SPURCORP SUR 18.23 0.74% TRUWTHS TRU 14.76 0.87% VODACOM VOD 10.21 3.14%

In the last couple of months. Sold 3/4 of imperial,  3/4 of Spur (maybe not the best move..) and 1/2 Truworths  and all of ARB

Bought Bidvest/ NEPI/ SIRIUS and Rhodes

#165 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

Portfolio update (well its not a portfolio really at this point anymore):

African Bank 15% (yep took a small punt - probably burned)

Visual International 85%

Bear in mind that currently the money value very low as everything went into my property I bought en last year thus looks a bit skew.. is basically 2 punts and that's it.

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#166 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 22 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

Merlin, please accept my apologies. When I said they hadn't declared their divi yet I assumed everyone knew I was talking about the divi and the dates.

#167 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

Bread you are rather confrontational with people who offer you assistance, I never said anything about the dates being announced, I informed you the div had been declared - nothing more.

Merlin,

Firstly, Absa doesn't charge that Marketable Securities Tax on all shares when purchasing.

Secondly, and much to my embarrassment because I should've checked your info before I approached Sharenet, ROC hasn't announced it's LDT yet. So, as of today, your info is incorrect. ROC has not announced the salient dates of it's dividend.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#168 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

https://www.saica.co...ransfer_Tax.htm

http://www.osall.org...ndment-Bill.pdf

https://www.ensafric...tle=tax ENSight

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#169 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

Merlin,

Firstly, Absa doesn't charge that Marketable Securities Tax on all shares when purchasing.

Secondly, and much to my embarrassment because I should've checked your info before I approached Sharenet, ROC hasn't announced it's LDT yet. So, as of today, your info is incorrect. ROC has not announced the salient dates of it's dividend.

#170 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:58 PM

Bread,

That is a government tax that eveyone pays, don't think for a moment that you don't.

It is only applicable on a buy order and not a sell.

There is nothing I pay for at Sharenet provided I make my three trades, believe me I have checked with a fine tooth comb.

Merlin

With all their products and services Sharenet charges for I'm sure there must be something you're paying for that is free at Absa. And their whole charging and fee structure seems awfully complicated. Are you aware they add a 0.25% Marketable Securities Tax per trade?

#171 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

Merlin

With all their products and services Sharenet charges for I'm sure there must be something you're paying for that is free at Absa. And their whole charging and fee structure seems awfully complicated. Are you aware they add a 0.25% Marketable Securities Tax per trade?

#172 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

I've updated my watch list and it looks like ROC is the only one they haven't updated. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what their explanation is.

#173 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:48 PM

Investec info is similarly part of what I get having a trading account, but as indicated previously, substantially less cost effective.

I went and checked Sharenet's fees blurb which says 200- quarterly which is fully rebated if you make three trades - a good deal, can the subscription and get the full monty, check out the comparison:

http://www.sharenet....ker_compare.php

3 days and more is a helluva lag for something I'm paying for. If it was free then fine but it ain't free. How much are you paying for the info from Investec, or is it part of your trading account?

#174 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

3 days and more is a helluva lag for something I'm paying for. If it was free then fine but it ain't free. How much are you paying for the info from Investec, or is it part of your trading account?

Bread,

A Sharenet trading account shall give you all the stuff you need without paying 83-/month.

The SENS is uploaded same day, the copy and paste came directly from the actual results posted - their is a lag to them updating the div onto the page naturally.

I did a search for what fees I pay over the last year and could not find any whatsoever, there may be some but I couldn't find any, maybe if you do sufficient transactions there is no fee.

You shall battle to find a more cost effective account

#175 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Bread,

A Sharenet trading account shall give you all the stuff you need without paying 83-/month.

The SENS is uploaded same day, the copy and paste came directly from the actual results posted - their is a lag to them updating the div onto the page naturally.

I did a search for what fees I pay over the last year and could not find any whatsoever, there may be some but I couldn't find any, maybe if you do sufficient transactions there is no fee.

You shall battle to find a more cost effective account

Thanks, Merlin.

When I became a paying subscriber to Sharenet it was for the divi info that I thought would be available as soon as a company announced it, within 24 hours. I couldn't see anywhere where they said their records would be updated at a later stage. As of 13 Feb 19:50pm they still haven't updated the divi info for ROC that was announced on the 10th, as you say. That's not good enough for me, especially as they're charging me R83.00 per month.

Where do you get your divi info from? Perhaps I need to cancel my Sharenet subscription.

#176 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

Thanks, Merlin.

When I became a paying subscriber to Sharenet it was for the divi info that I thought would be available as soon as a company announced it, within 24 hours. I couldn't see anywhere where they said their records would be updated at a later stage. As of 13 Feb 19:50pm they still haven't updated the divi info for ROC that was announced on the 10th, as you say. That's not good enough for me, especially as they're charging me R83.00 per month.

Where do you get your divi info from? Perhaps I need to cancel my Sharenet subscription.

Bread,

Rockcastle declared their div on Tuesday 10th February:

2. DISTRIBUTABLE EARNINGS The Board has declared a dividend of 4.28 USD cents per share for the six months ended 31 December 2014. This represents an increase of 5.2% over the comparable prior period and marginally ahead of the guidance of approximately 5%.

3. OPTION TO RECEIVE A SCRIP DIVIDEND Given the Group's acquisition and development strategy, and following requests from shareholders, the Board have explored alternatives to paying cash distributions. Subject to regulatory approvals, shareholders will be given the option to receive their dividend either in cash or as a scrip dividend at a ratio of 1.95 new shares for each 100 shares held.

You need a proper share trading account with full functionality.

#177 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:14 AM

Bread,

Rockcastle declared their div on Tuesday 10th February:

2. DISTRIBUTABLE EARNINGS The Board has declared a dividend of 4.28 USD cents per share for the six months ended 31 December 2014. This represents an increase of 5.2% over the comparable prior period and marginally ahead of the guidance of approximately 5%.

3. OPTION TO RECEIVE A SCRIP DIVIDEND Given the Group's acquisition and development strategy, and following requests from shareholders, the Board have explored alternatives to paying cash distributions. Subject to regulatory approvals, shareholders will be given the option to receive their dividend either in cash or as a scrip dividend at a ratio of 1.95 new shares for each 100 shares held.

You need a proper share trading account with full functionality.

Nope. I ain't kicking myself. I traded according to my system. And RES is approaching my exit price faster than ROC did. I had to hold ROC for 15 days and I've had RES now for 4 days and its already half way there. So no, I ain't kicking myself. And besides, ROC hasn't even declared their divi yet.

#178 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:05 AM

Your figures don't look right. But besides that, I don't pay Securities Tax. And at 0.4% the brokerage per scale would be 121.16.I

I also don't pay any monthly or annual fees for anything. No safe custody fee, no additional live prices fee, no electronic transfer fees, etc. etc.

#179 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:50 AM

Nope. I ain't kicking myself. I traded according to my system. And RES is approaching my exit price faster than ROC did. I had to hold ROC for 15 days and I've had RES now for 4 days and its already half way there. So no, I ain't kicking myself. And besides, ROC hasn't even declared their divi yet.

Hey Bread,

You must be kicking yourself - ROC trading @ 2900 as we speak.

Cash - 100%

Bought ROC at 2418 on the 13th and sold at 2560 on the 28th.

#180 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

Your figures don't look right. But besides that, I don't pay Securities Tax. And at 0.4% the brokerage per scale would be 121.16.

This is a an example of Sharenet contract note on NEP purchase 2014-12-19:

Qty       Price       Total

287       114.32     302,89.84

Brokerage per scale 100.00

Strate settlement        10.92

Investor protection levy  .07

VAT                             15.54 

Secuties Tax                82.03

Total                     33,018.40      

Compare this to what you are paying ABSA (I hate all banks)

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting