332 replies to this topic

#201 Ms Jet

Ms Jet

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

ELI needs to show Mr Market that it has rid itself of all the power generation loss making businesses pay down the debt associated with said businesses.

Once that is achieved the turn-around plan on the retail\commercial arm needs to generate positive cash flow so that the lenders ( i think Investec largest...???) will relax some of their conditions that are presently choking them.

Always been a bit dodgy on their financials booking profits for inventory that is stored in a warehouse comes to mind....super bloated overdraft facility.

Mentioned elsewhere they making strong inroads towards energy efficient corporate lighting systems...so the less looking over their shoulders the more innovative they can be with their in-house experience & adapt their manufacturing facilities to suit.

Set top box well peops further down this thread know more than I.

Should re-rate to the upside but when...

Yeah I do own some.

My 2c

Cheers.   

Thanks, I read all the various thread..bought these quite a while ago but don't have loads so not too worried...just interested...Ta

#202 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

ELI needs to show Mr Market that it has rid itself of all the power generation loss making businesses pay down the debt associated with said businesses.

Once that is achieved the turn-around plan on the retail\commercial arm needs to generate positive cash flow so that the lenders ( i think Investec largest...???) will relax some of their conditions that are presently choking them.

Always been a bit dodgy on their financials booking profits for inventory that is stored in a warehouse comes to mind....super bloated overdraft facility.

Mentioned elsewhere they making strong inroads towards energy efficient corporate lighting systems...so the less looking over their shoulders the more innovative they can be with their in-house experience & adapt their manufacturing facilities to suit.

Set top box well peops further down this thread know more than I.

Should re-rate to the upside but when...

Yeah I do own some.

My 2c

Cheers.   

Anyone need a heads up...!

#203 Ms Jet

Ms Jet

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

What do you see this share going to...I have a few that I may want to sell...Thanks

#204 Trader1

Trader1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

Do you predict positive results for the interim?

Is the management current make up causing the market to hold Ellies at a discount? New and tempory management causing uncertainty?

Interesting fact:

Institutional Support for ELI   Sep 2018 quarter   134.43% Jun 2018 quarter   1.47%  

#205 Trader1

Trader1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

Ellies is my AEG share. At these levels and given the company performance of late I'm willing to take the risk.

Do you predict positive results for the interim?

Is the management current make up causing the market to hold Ellies at a discount? New and tempory management causing uncertainty?

#206 Spell Jammer

Spell Jammer

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:18 AM

Jasco been there and paid my school fees.

Bought in about 2006 at +R4.00 per share.  

5 years ago was trading around +-R1.50

Added to that losing trade big ..averaged at R2.50 with intention of jumping out  on any bounce above R2.00

Did that to +-R2.20 and sold the lot at a small loss..

Now trading at +-R.60 c

Once again looks cheap..

But in one of those 70% bracket i mentioned.

Ellies is my AEG share. At these levels and given the company performance of late I'm willing to take the risk.

#207 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

Jasco been there and paid my school fees.

Bought in about 2006 at +R4.00 per share.  

5 years ago was trading around +-R1.50

Added to that losing trade big ..averaged at R2.50 with intention of jumping out  on any bounce above R2.00

Did that to +-R2.20 and sold the lot at a small loss..

Now trading at +-R.60 c

Once again looks cheap..

But in one of those 70% bracket i mentioned.

Trading is one of the only fields where genuine con artists/scammers will urge you to “be careful of con artists/scammers.”

#208 Spell Jammer

Spell Jammer

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

http://www.sharenet....eq=31&scode=JSC

dangerous comparison

They suspended their own shares because if releasing an incorrect statement, don't see any Steinhoff type behavior here.

#209 Lionelza1

Lionelza1

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

Do services industries like this not have higher debt to equity ratios than normal companies? If i compare Ellies to one of its competitors Jasco Holdings, you see a similar trend there?

http://www.sharenet....eq=31&scode=JSC

dangerous comparison

#210 Spell Jammer

Spell Jammer

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 07:44 AM

Just looked at 2018 financials...Debt to equity stands at 1.44

No freebies from Mr market again....

Do services industries like this not have higher debt to equity ratios than normal companies? If i compare Ellies to one of its competitors Jasco Holdings, you see a similar trend there?

#211 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

key to this companys future success is not profit after taxes but positve cash flow  IE is it generating any cash.

I havent followed it so have not checked last financials as i keep away from these dodgy companies.

I know a few years back was flying at over R12.00 and every punter was punting it ...but there was big profit with no positive cash flow....Took a big bang and now 20c

So profit figure means kniks and Mr market in all likelyhood still punishing it cos of lack of cash flow..IE survival depends on banks

But as i said i havent  looked so things could have changed but MR market still not liking the story

Just looked at 2018 financials...Debt to equity stands at 1.44

No freebies from Mr market again....

Trading is one of the only fields where genuine con artists/scammers will urge you to “be careful of con artists/scammers.”

#212 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

key to this companys future success is not profit after taxes but positve cash flow  IE is it generating any cash.

I havent followed it so have not checked last financials as i keep away from these dodgy companies.

I know a few years back was flying at over R12.00 and every punter was punting it ...but there was big profit with no positive cash flow....Took a big bang and now 20c

So profit figure means kniks and Mr market in all likelyhood still punishing it cos of lack of cash flow..IE survival depends on banks

But as i said i havent  looked so things could have changed but MR market still not liking the story

#213 Ms Jet

Ms Jet

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

Listen from 47:30 onwards. Its about getting in early on this one before the Hype cycle. The company has gone from a 249mil loss the previous year to a 38 mil profit. The turnaround strategy appears to be in effect.

Thanks..

#214 Spell Jammer

Spell Jammer

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

Hi,

What make you think results will be up? At last results people were saying share worth about 35 but sitting at about 19....Regards,

Listen from 47:30 onwards. Its about getting in early on this one before the Hype cycle. The company has gone from a 249mil loss the previous year to a 38 mil profit. The turnaround strategy appears to be in effect.

Edited by Spell Jammer, 19 October 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#215 Ms Jet

Ms Jet

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

Want to get in here, but the trend still seems to be down. Results and possible trading update due before year end that will hopefully turn things around for them.

Soon ... 

Hi,

What make you think results will be up? At last results people were saying share worth about 35 but sitting at about 19....Regards,

#216 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Want to get in here, but the trend still seems to be down. Results and possible trading update due before year end that will hopefully turn things around for them.

Soon ... 

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#217 JK001

JK001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:21 PM

Thats your middle\upper class opinion. Home Internet access is a luxury for the majority, let alone a Netflix subscription and huge mobile data bundles which will make what you're claiming sustainable (having a smartphone does not mean that the majority have the data to watch a season of Shameless etc on your mobile device). Traditional broadcasting still has a place for many, especially technophobes and the elderly. Ellies is also more than a TV company. The renewable energy business plays a very relevant role at the moment and given our climate , its a no brainer to build less dependency on parastatals like Eskom, and besides, they're now profitable with no challenges in sight. 

Why would i not take a punt at these levels and potentially become a millionaire in a few years time with a minimal investment?

agree that it is a punt - that is a good enough motivation :D 

one thing we can agree on, data is expensive comparatively, lot of pressure from ICASA to lower (28% down YTD).  That is in particular why I like blue telecoms as they are experimenting with 'black' as free view including data.  They are actually levering data to get insights to consumer behavior. 

My parents are the last generation with technophobes (bar a couple of exceptions), the UX focus makes this seamless and a non-event.  So if we can agree that digital TV is not the motivation,bu rather digital content, then we are on par.

With regards to renewable energy, you are spot on. that is the next decade of financial revolution.  see recent articles on south america green power. But, yet again not much differentiation or IP (solar, wind energy, pick your choice).  Problem really with green energy is the storage of electricity.   Batteries are a dead horse that seems maxed out, you are quite clued up, so do me a favour a look at EESTOR corp in US that is working on smart capacitors, if you can remove a ton (weight) of batteries from the cars you have a winner.

#218 Spell Jammer

Spell Jammer

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

Happy to eat humble pie when (if) it happens, digital in true sense means end of delivering boxes and decoders, but delivering content ubiquitous.  One form of digital is data as a service:  Netflix, Showmax (sort out the parsing).   You would be amazed to know about 76% of SA have smartphones across income groups (source Informal market segment report, Genesis, not sure I can share that with you because of NDA).  IMHO gov is running down a strait cul-de-sac, the rest of the world is about 10 years ahead of that.

Thats your middle\upper class opinion. Home Internet access is a luxury for the majority, let alone a Netflix subscription and huge mobile data bundles which will make what you're claiming sustainable (having a smartphone does not mean that the majority have the data to watch a season of Shameless etc on your mobile device). Traditional broadcasting still has a place for many, especially technophobes and the elderly. Ellies is also more than a TV company. The renewable energy business plays a very relevant role at the moment and given our climate , its a no brainer to build less dependency on parastatals like Eskom, and besides, they're now profitable with no challenges in sight. 

Why would i not take a punt at these levels and potentially become a millionaire in a few years time with a minimal investment?

Edited by Spell Jammer, 02 October 2018 - 08:57 PM.

#219 JK001

JK001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:46 PM

You've missed the point im afraid. Not everyone gets a free setup. Post office delivery also means stufall since Ellies has been paid upfront to deliver a certain number to Gov as part of the FIRST phase. Joe public who have the means have to buy their own..

Happy to eat humble pie when (if) it happens, digital in true sense means end of delivering boxes and decoders, but delivering content ubiquitous.  One form of digital is data as a service:  Netflix, Showmax (sort out the parsing).   You would be amazed to know about 76% of SA have smartphones across income groups (source Informal market segment report, Genesis, not sure I can share that with you because of NDA).  IMHO gov is running down a strait cul-de-sac, the rest of the world is about 10 years ahead of that.

#220 Spell Jammer

Spell Jammer

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

Agree, and easy to copy business, no significant tech or IP or patents from Ellies that make's them a front-runner that I could research, open to alternate convincing.

Fact that post office is involved in digital delivery means yawn-yawn.  Post office struggle to deliver ordinary mail, no wonder postnet is eating their breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks in between.

Anc.Inc. struggling to keep head above water with growing parasite grants encouraging population growth effectively lowering GDP.  Expect no miracles in getting funding for going digital.

With elections around the corner, focus will be to hypnotize voters and not on digital deadline.   Just my view on everything that has government involvement or intervention turns into unintended consequences.

You've missed the point im afraid. Not everyone gets a free setup. Post office delivery also means stufall since Ellies has been paid upfront to deliver a certain number to Gov as part of the FIRST phase. Joe public who have the means have to buy their own..

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting