15225 replies to this topic

#10201 Investment novice

Investment novice

The Oracle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

CW and MJ made millions as entrepreneurs and setting up, acquiring businesses. Somewhere along the line they realized that there wealth can overnight quadruple if the shares you hold increases in value. They grew the company, and pumped the share. This was an over valued entity, not a pyramid scheme.
Seeing the likes of tongaat and others recently... How many companies can stand up to a forensic audit and demonstrate zero accounting gymnastics. I work for a multinational too... You would be surprised on what is defined as a boundary.. Correctly I may add. Any whispers on accounting gymnastics will surely have the share being dumped.
The reality is that share valuation methodologies will be in question and the appropriatness. Whether you're an fcp or mda... Perception off a sound business model drives value. And MJ and CW were artists of the highest caliber in painting the picture.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#10202 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:15 PM

difference is...

SNH was just  a pyramid scheme and  this is exactly how how it works....unlike your company

Pyramid was built a good 10 years ago.

Guy at top is the crook, all below are the suckers falling for it....

Polly can you give a example of the pyramid scheme?

Because the person you say paid diamonds for fakes was in fact the chairman of the pyramid scheme!!!! I agree with LK its impossible to commit fraud with just one person or a few persons in a company with such structures.

#10203 Investment novice

Investment novice

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

A new thought... Could there be a situation where creditors delist the entity. Buyout shareholders at 100-200% r4-5 today's price. And then resolve issues in background. Refinance debt and walkway with all entities and property portfolio. Realist individual entities etc.....just a thought...
Many years before this gets resolved....

#10204 Polly

Polly

The Oracle

• Banned
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:07 PM

I work as a general manager for an international company.

There’s no way the guy at the top can direct/manipulate all of this without anyone knowing.
There’s too many checks and balances. There is also normally an anonymous whistleblower system in place, yearly anonymous staff feedback surveys, etc etc etc

Sorry I can’t see this being 1 guy or a handful of folks alone.

difference is...

SNH was just  a pyramid scheme and  this is exactly how how it works....unlike your company

Pyramid was built a good 10 years ago.

Guy at top is the crook, all below are the suckers falling for it....

Trading is one of the only fields where genuine con artists/scammers will urge you to “be careful of con artists/scammers.”

#10205 Investment novice

Investment novice

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

There’s no way the guy at the top can direct/manipulate all of this without anyone knowing.
There’s too many checks and balances. There is also normally an anonymous whistleblower system in place, yearly anonymous staff feedback surveys, etc etc etc

Agree Larry, many more people implicated to some level, many system failures, and many more directors and their insurance companies as well as professional malpractice insurance companies going to have to pay in to settle. And to daytaders point... Shareholders quantification of loss in itself is going to be difficult to identify. If in any event share value erosion due to shareholders fear and dumping.....this is many years worth of thumbsuck and proportionment of liability.

#10206 LarryK

LarryK

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

#10207 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:55 PM

This is non kosher at several levels...
Self enrichment through profiteering from property transactions is an example. This is not pure accounting practice. Examples similar to this will be the downfall of MJ and friends. Left to be seen who also profited. CW?.
Accounting practice is also a fair point though but I have limited to comment on.. Especially where debt was transferred between companies to reduce tax obligations. And create interest revenue flows for other entities.
Fortunately due to all the write downs it may be unlikely there would be a tax issue.. Maybe not.
Perpetration occurred at many levels.
Pic involvement through Jay Naidoo. How has this not come to the fore as yet, this is independent to PWC. How was the pwc investment case motivated. Prof len on the board could not see the wood from the trees with this. I think the entire board are in trouble at steinhof. Surely they have documented engagements on the Pic acquisition of a large chunk of snh. All of these questions point to a long and drawn out legal issue where shareholder will rightly be able to claim back from the directors, their insurance companies, auditors, related business entities. Etc.. Snh themselves will be required to hase afte perpetrators.
MJ.. And his friend JN... And anyone else smart, foolish enough to have been on gravy train... Need to be weary now.... Everyone may be on trial. After 3000 pages worth of reporting

Yes a very important point being missed is all the shareholders that are crying and want money where the very same that enjoyed the rise of the share with the aid of the irregularities. While the share was flying higher and higher no one complained, also even when buying Conforama, Poundland and MF all becoming very profitable quickly simply piled in there was no end to the future growth. Just think the high premium that director decided to buy MF and shareholders supported.

#10208 Investment novice

Investment novice

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:47 PM

This is non kosher at several levels...
Self enrichment through profiteering from property transactions is an example. This is not pure accounting practice. Examples similar to this will be the downfall of MJ and friends. Left to be seen who also profited. CW?.
Accounting practice is also a fair point though but I have limited to comment on.. Especially where debt was transferred between companies to reduce tax obligations. And create interest revenue flows for other entities.
Fortunately due to all the write downs it may be unlikely there would be a tax issue.. Maybe not.
Perpetration occurred at many levels.
Pic involvement through Jay Naidoo. How has this not come to the fore as yet, this is independent to PWC. How was the pwc investment case motivated. Prof len on the board could not see the wood from the trees with this. I think the entire board are in trouble at steinhof. Surely they have documented engagements on the Pic acquisition of a large chunk of snh. All of these questions point to a long and drawn out legal issue where shareholder will rightly be able to claim back from the directors, their insurance companies, auditors, related business entities. Etc.. Snh themselves will be required to hase afte perpetrators.
MJ.. And his friend JN... And anyone else smart, foolish enough to have been on gravy train... Need to be weary now.... Everyone may be on trial. After 3000 pages worth of reporting

#10209 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:30 PM

Hi DTD,

Regarding the "smoke" around Sept 2017, MJ consistently deflected this and provided what seemed a plausible counter argument.  He convinced those around him that there was no fire, and hence the smoke was actually not smoke.  To their eternal damnation, they chose to believe him.

There was most certainly a fraud perpetrated at Steinhoff.  However, this was through MJ and a few of his cronies at Steinhoff (eg.  Head of European Operations), but mostly between MJ and outside parties (see my previous post),

There is a significant distinction between fraud/corruption on the one hand, and being gullible / too trusting / not skeptical enough on the other hand.  I am even willing to go so far as to say the Board and CW, Johan Van Zyl, Jay Naidoo, Steve Booysens, etc could be accused of possible gross incompetence and/or negligence.  But never fraud!!!!

CW and the rest were as much victims as the VEB shareholders.

Best Regards

Captainfrom82

Hi Captain,

I still believe there was no blatant fraud/corruption in Steinhoff the alleged over inflated profits, dodgy deals that looks like not at arms length etc. were all done with accountants blessing with the possible exclusion the MJ string of companies trading with Steinhoff.

The fact that Deloitte complained should be sufficient for any astute person to question in view that there was more information coming to light from Germany so I am sorry there was smoke!!

How can it be possible that property was being sold then bought back etc surely the money involved would have required director approval. Now I ask you if you a director and I kept on trading property would it not put questions in your mind?

The real fraud is the poor accounting standard that allows different accountants to interpret it as they wish to the expense of the shareholders. Just go into the internet and see how many cases of poor auditing are there.

What I find strange in one hand you say CW is a tough businessman then on your last note you say he could be accused of possible gross incompetence and/or negligence.

So basically what you say is MJ has the ability to reduce ones ability and financial skills???

Edited by DayTraderDad, 12 March 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#10210 Captainfrom82

Captainfrom82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:39 PM

Hi Captain,

It is disappointing for all those people to say things like "bolt out of the blue" other had no clue when there was already issues that the German were investigating and Deloitte already brought this to the attention of management in September 2017 so which is the part that they did not know.

A person must be a very strange director if cannot smell the smoke because as early as September 2017 the fire was already burning not to mention how can director not query buying a business that is not making money and in a very short time becomes very profitable.

Further what type of CFO is a person if all you do is look at spreadsheets!!!

I agree with MJ the reason why the share collapsed was due to poor decision by the board that did not calculate properly the outcome of deciding to start a new investigation at the time of announcing results.

But I agree with Bubble there must be a few worried people in Stellenbosch at this very moment.

Hi DTD,

Regarding the "smoke" around Sept 2017, MJ consistently deflected this and provided what seemed a plausible counter argument.  He convinced those around him that there was no fire, and hence the smoke was actually not smoke.  To their eternal damnation, they chose to believe him.

There was most certainly a fraud perpetrated at Steinhoff.  However, this was through MJ and a few of his cronies at Steinhoff (eg.  Head of European Operations), but mostly between MJ and outside parties (see my previous post),

There is a significant distinction between fraud/corruption on the one hand, and being gullible / too trusting / not skeptical enough on the other hand.  I am even willing to go so far as to say the Board and CW, Johan Van Zyl, Jay Naidoo, Steve Booysens, etc could be accused of possible gross incompetence and/or negligence.  But never fraud!!!!

CW and the rest were as much victims as the VEB shareholders.

Best Regards

Captainfrom82

#10211 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hi Bubble,

My sense is that you are incorrect.  I think that you are seeing nails all over the place because all that you have is a hammer.

I understand about the whole Stellenbosch University brotherhood/clan culture.  That is inevitable and happens across the world at most Universities.

I must tell you, I know CW personally.  I have spoken to him a few times in 2018 and  I do not for a moment, not even a second  though believe CW is guilty of corruption or fraud.  He is a tough businessman, and in being a businessman he may have taken some decisions that may seem immoral you others.  This is business!  But nothing fraudulent, illegal or corrupt!

CW had far too much a stake to want to get an additional boost by turning to fraud.  You would never risk $10000 to try and win $100.  It is the same with him.  I believe him when he said that it was a "bolt out of the blue".  To him it was.  He was not expecting anything like this, and right up to the morning of 5 Dec 2017, he tried to seek a solution with MJ to admit the errors.  At the time he did not know just how deep the rabbit hole went. 

The same logic would apply for JW.

I cannot comment for BLG, but I would be extremely surprised if he were overtly involved in an illegal action.

Steve Booysen knew nothing because no one suspected anything.

Prior to the FY2017 financials, Deloitte had picked up on the issues previously but signed off anyway after chatting to MJ.  Things changed In 2017, when the investigation in Germany really brought various matters to light.  Suddenly Deloitte had far more evidence, and approached Steve Booysens as Head of Audit and Risk with the evidence.  The rest is history.

Best Regards

Captainfrom82

Hi Captain,

It is disappointing for all those people to say things like "bolt out of the blue" other had no clue when there was already issues that the German were investigating and Deloitte already brought this to the attention of management in September 2017 so which is the part that they did not know.

A person must be a very strange director if cannot smell the smoke because as early as September 2017 the fire was already burning not to mention how can director not query buying a business that is not making money and in a very short time becomes very profitable.

Further what type of CFO is a person if all you do is look at spreadsheets!!!

I agree with MJ the reason why the share collapsed was due to poor decision by the board that did not calculate properly the outcome of deciding to start a new investigation at the time of announcing results.

But I agree with Bubble there must be a few worried people in Stellenbosch at this very moment.

#10212 Captainfrom82

Captainfrom82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:33 AM

The family is from Wilgenhof male residence in Stellenbosch. CW/Jacob W/Daniel vd M/Ben la G included in this list and many others in senior/exec position in SNH. I expect many being implicated, if PWC report is detailed enough(which it should be). The brotherhood and mafia is strong there.

That is why Steve Booysen never knew anything until the end, he studied in Pretoria. (Outsider)

Hi Bubble,

My sense is that you are incorrect.  I think that you are seeing nails all over the place because all that you have is a hammer.

I understand about the whole Stellenbosch University brotherhood/clan culture.  That is inevitable and happens across the world at most Universities.

I must tell you, I know CW personally.  I have spoken to him a few times in 2018 and  I do not for a moment, not even a second  though believe CW is guilty of corruption or fraud.  He is a tough businessman, and in being a businessman he may have taken some decisions that may seem immoral you others.  This is business!  But nothing fraudulent, illegal or corrupt!

CW had far too much a stake to want to get an additional boost by turning to fraud.  You would never risk $10000 to try and win $100.  It is the same with him.  I believe him when he said that it was a "bolt out of the blue".  To him it was.  He was not expecting anything like this, and right up to the morning of 5 Dec 2017, he tried to seek a solution with MJ to admit the errors.  At the time he did not know just how deep the rabbit hole went. 

The same logic would apply for JW.

I cannot comment for BLG, but I would be extremely surprised if he were overtly involved in an illegal action.

Steve Booysen knew nothing because no one suspected anything.

Prior to the FY2017 financials, Deloitte had picked up on the issues previously but signed off anyway after chatting to MJ.  Things changed In 2017, when the investigation in Germany really brought various matters to light.  Suddenly Deloitte had far more evidence, and approached Steve Booysens as Head of Audit and Risk with the evidence.  The rest is history.

Best Regards

Captainfrom82

#10213 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:26 AM

Conforama news: https://www.capital....nforama-1330928

#10214 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

There must be a couple of Wilgenhoffers sweating now.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

Yes and I think Andreas Seifert might be also sweating!!!

#10215 Bubble

Bubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:03 PM

There must be a couple of Wilgenhoffers sweating now.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

#10216 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

I read that the PwC report contains 3000 pages and 125 files interesting.

#10217 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

*STEINHOFF CEO TO MEET WITH S. AFRICA REGULATOR FSCA MARCH 12 *STEINHOFF CEO SAYS RETAILER TO APPEAR IN S. AFRICA PARLIAMENT *STEINHOFF SOUTH AFRICA PARLIAMENTARY HEARING TO START MARCH 19 *STEINHOFF CEO DU PREEZ TELLS REPORTERS IN CAPE TOWN

#10218 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

Agree. Useless(or corrupt) auditors, give Management the freedom to do what they do.

Do not forget the useless market commentators/experts that punted SNH, and then become experts on how long it will take for SNH to finally sink.

Simon Brown gave SNH 3 months after Dec 2017, the same guy(I recall) that punted Tongaat 1 year ago @ R100.

Haha I agree!!! I still recall how the media and analyst were so positive on SNH and MJ was viewed as a superman.

#10219 Bubble

Bubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

And another one, now the Steinhoff policeman PwC also in the news:

https://www.accounti...aundering-clues

For me the corruption and fraud is allowed because of greed for money. If an audit firm get a fixed rate to do the audit why would they have the incentive to dig deep and loose money!!!

Agree. Useless(or corrupt) auditors, give Management the freedom to do what they do.

Do not forget the useless market commentators/experts that punted SNH, and then become experts on how long it will take for SNH to finally sink.

Simon Brown gave SNH 3 months after Dec 2017, the same guy(I recall) that punted Tongaat 1 year ago @ R100.

#10220 DayTraderDad

DayTraderDad

The Oracle

• Members
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

And people still blame management yet everywhere accountants are failing: https://www.fin24.co...nances-20190311

And another one, now the Steinhoff policeman PwC also in the news:

https://www.accounti...aundering-clues

For me the corruption and fraud is allowed because of greed for money. If an audit firm get a fixed rate to do the audit why would they have the incentive to dig deep and loose money!!!

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting