35854 replies to this topic

#19281 Hedge

Hedge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Yes or No

Watching this thread is very interesting. the Wave theory thing is something I have never looked at before, and I am struggling to get my head around it and trust the predictions it makes. As a relatively small trader I need a more direct Yes or NO type of analysis. I have been using one system for about 6 months and have decided to ask if the group thinks this is a good method to trade on or not, it has worked very well for me so far. 

I use Bollinger bands but alter the settings to, 10 and 0.1. for a long trade I wait for the candle to cross the bands and then wait for one full candle to occur above the band. I stay in the trade as long as the candles remain above the bands, the exit is the same as the entry but I wait for one full candle to happen below the band (not touch the band).

If the candles start to look like they are going to cross the bands I confirm with MACD and look at how close the histogram is to the zero point, if it is well above the zero I continue the trade.  

works best on a 10 minute chart but I enter a trade on the 5 minute chart and then watch the 10 for the exit. Works Wonderfully for day trades and short (3 or 4 day trades)

Has anyone tried this before and are there any comments on how I could improve it.

Grant

Sounds like a good system and if it works stick with it. Wont always win but as long as the winners exceed the losers you will end up tops. A system is the only way really. If you can stick to it!.

#19282 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Calc for top should be corrected to 46490. Thanks

The wave is still going up - and that is my target.

I would like to see gap close, but this will eventually happen anyway.

The trip down from the top is with target 38274 ish.

Don't just follow me like a sheep!

DIY assist: forex-indicators.net/cycle-indicators/elliott-waves

If she reaches 45800 by end of this week and correct into the 13th June for only to get back up very possible 46490 can be reached (should mark the top of the bullish channel)!

When do you see it getting there? See Caldaro says major top should come around July with the presidential cycle down starting into October!

A

Edited by Argento, 26 May 2014 - 11:18 AM.

"Never never never give up!"

#19283 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yes or No

Watching this thread is very interesting. the Wave theory thing is something I have never looked at before, and I am struggling to get my head around it and trust the predictions it makes. As a relatively small trader I need a more direct Yes or NO type of analysis. I have been using one system for about 6 months and have decided to ask if the group thinks this is a good method to trade on or not, it has worked very well for me so far. 

I use Bollinger bands but alter the settings to, 10 and 0.1. for a long trade I wait for the candle to cross the bands and then wait for one full candle to occur above the band. I stay in the trade as long as the candles remain above the bands, the exit is the same as the entry but I wait for one full candle to happen below the band (not touch the band).

If the candles start to look like they are going to cross the bands I confirm with MACD and look at how close the histogram is to the zero point, if it is well above the zero I continue the trade.  

works best on a 10 minute chart but I enter a trade on the 5 minute chart and then watch the 10 for the exit. Works Wonderfully for day trades and short (3 or 4 day trades)

Has anyone tried this before and are there any comments on how I could improve it.

Grant

#19284 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#19285 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Do you know where your going to?....

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#19286 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Although I said it may go down I am still in Long on everything. I will not change to down until I see the trend turning, for me a trend change needs to show up on the daily charts before I will change my mind.

Grant 

Good stuff! ;)

A

#19287 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Markets rarely start correcting due to news like our new finance minister, still see good upside (45800 TOP40F?) this week and she should only then start correcting in June as per seasonal trend and futures close-out.

My wrong short call last week was based on the weekly reversal candle we saw but it should be part of a topformation, there is none as of yet and why she is grinding higher. IMO the first leg down in June should kick it off, should then see the major top latter July when she should touch the upperline of the major bull channel posted last week and create that negative divergence.

Interesting how January's trade predicts the year's trend, this time around first half of 2014 is strong and second half the big bear should finally arrive with QE3 to end!

Lot of top analysts had this US formation wrong and called it the top....note to myself...trade your charts and always view the bigger picture/channels! :angry:

A

Although I said it may go down I am still in Long on everything. I will not change to down until I see the trend turning, for me a trend change needs to show up on the daily charts before I will change my mind.

Grant 

#19288 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Agreed but this may be the trigger the market is looking for to do a correction, although the correction would work better if it it originated in one of the first world markets. It may also be a general thing if the market does not like any of the appointments, we will see in the morning.

Grant 

Markets rarely start correcting due to news like our new finance minister, still see good upside (45800 TOP40F?) this week and she should only then start correcting in June as per seasonal trend and futures close-out.

My wrong short call last week was based on the weekly reversal candle we saw but it should be part of a topformation, there is none as of yet and why she is grinding higher. IMO the first leg down in June should kick it off, should then see the major top latter July when she should touch the upperline of the major bull channel posted last week and create that negative divergence.

Interesting how January's trade predicts the year's trend, this time around first half of 2014 is strong and second half the big bear should finally arrive with QE3 to end!

Lot of top analysts had this US formation wrong and called it the top....note to myself...trade your charts and always view the bigger picture/channels! :angry:

A

Edited by Argento, 26 May 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#19289 Gorrat

Gorrat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

Now the floodgates are going to open......

#19290 farouk

farouk

The Oracle

• 2,725 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Looks like he got rid of the small chor's.

Now he brought in the really big chori's.

Its sad.

#19291 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

Looks like it is going to be the Rand pushing Alsi up today.

With you on that...but I really think that will happen tomorrow!!! when us opens ...big boys FX players

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#19292 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Looks like it is going to be the Rand pushing Alsi up today.

Alsi future

I only post my views, not advice

#19293 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

He was the deputy since 2008. So he was around for some time though...

Agreed but this may be the trigger the market is looking for to do a correction, although the correction would work better if it it originated in one of the first world markets. It may also be a general thing if the market does not like any of the appointments, we will see in the morning.

Grant 

#19294 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

probably down, new finance minister announced today. We will see if the market likes the decision. 

Grant 

He was the deputy since 2008. So he was around for some time though...

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#19295 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

probably down, new finance minister announced today. We will see if the market likes the decision. 

Grant 

#19296 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Do you know where your going to?....

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#19297 M I D A S

M I D A S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSandton

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

Unrelated to the general drift, but pertinent to one share Tiger Brands mentioned by Shortboy, which is rated 4th amongst the least favoured stocks on the JSE, as per trailing link, which is unrelated to their intrinsic value but merely market perceptions.

http://www.moneyweb....d-top-40-stocks

#19298 Shortboy

Shortboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

still not convinced..absolutely no coverage on Ukraine elections?????? U have to be kidding me..what are they hiding? 45220 is where i will have to draw the line..Market still way OB even more so now..It will just take 2 days to return to normality

Don't do it at 45220 GymBaby. Remember Mhlato's Rule - The market always prove you wrong...just before it proves you right.

Youv'e seen this movie before, at least a dozen times in the past few weeks. Granted, we are on the wrong side of the trend at the moment. Sentiment changes overnight and leaves us breathless about thinking...had I just held on for 1 more session......you know that feeling.

Thats why I reduced the size of my bets and increased, significantly, the range of what I can carry. We know 3 things for sure. ALSI40 will continue up, down or sideways. It depends on what BIL, CFR, NPN, SAB,  MTN and British American wants to do, and our Rand and etc etc.

Just like late 2008, the rand hedges propped up what little was still there and then imploded leaving shares like Tiger Brands at a PE of 6, MTN at not much more etc etc.

Weekly trend is still up. Stay short, buy the dips.

Just my view, 1 of millions out there and cetainly not advice, just another view..

IG SA40

#19299 Shortboy

Shortboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

still not convinced..absolutely no coverage on Ukraine elections?????? U have to be kidding me..what are they hiding? 45220 is where i will have to draw the line..Market still way OB even more so now..It will just take 2 days to return to normality

Still holding short positions and no counter long as that was sold (at not much profit I must add). There are lots of people making a lot of unexpectedly high profits on their recent longs. It wont be long before they start getting jittery too. Plan to offload my worst performng short when the next opportunity comes along and re-enter a contra long....buy the ?%@!! dip. 

IG SA40

#19300 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Check Elliott rules for failed diagonal triangle

(should have seen this before now)

Then the same target movement takes place in the opposite direction.

The original correction target movement was 5113 points. The range becomes from end of 5th wave to fail point.

And so the new target for T40(F) became between 46610 and 48500

see chart

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting