35854 replies to this topic

#19261 strydomk

strydomk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Very weak opening. Maybe a little reality setting in?

#19262 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

guys, would appreciate your views on SA T40..with weaker ZAR would index not be driven higher even when taking into account some of the constituents high valuations.  we will only see correction on SA T40 if it's triggered by international market event/s

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#19263 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

ANOTHER short order waiting at 45100. Surely if SA's moving into a recession, all shorts taken now, should be seen as "investment"?  (Actually, I think we already are in the dumps)

Changed that to 45050. HDB, what do your calculations show should fair value actually be this morning?

Edited by BBW, 28 May 2014 - 09:02 AM.

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#19264 TradeBit

TradeBit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I've seen quite a few traders on twitter complain about the small daily range. 200 points for 4 days. Generally, what does a small range imply? Consolidation or investors not comfortable with this level?

Peace before storm.

#19265 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

So what happens if we get shocking GDP numbers? Mr market ignores the fact that SA is borderline reccession and makes a new high??

Your prediction is about to get fulfilled!

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#19266 Shortboy

Shortboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Two weeks ago Argento posted something in the effect US would grind higher and we will start going lower,well it looks like this is what we starting to see.Really think a lot of guys is going to be caught with their longs.The market has to correct and someone has to pay.Greedy longs must be worried by now as i dont see us reaching 45000 again for some time.Just my bear hopes

Up down, up down. Staying short. Not looking for a correction per se, but a decent pull back would be appreciated to allow me to take out a contra long and simultaneously settle my worst performing short. I don't think there is much fundamental substance under ALSI40 at the moment. You are right BC, that squeezed feeling is quite addictive, hee hee!  

IG SA40

#19267 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Two weeks ago Argento posted something in the effect US would grind higher and we will start going lower,well it looks like this is what we starting to see.Really think a lot of guys is going to be caught with their longs.The market has to correct and someone has to pay.Greedy longs must be worried by now as i dont see us reaching 45000 again for some time.Just my bear hopes

Agree, BC. It is the end of May and we are still flying. Momentum is slowing, however, and it will not be long before the gap @44800 is closed. My short target is uptrend support @42500-ish. (Futures)

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#19268 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

IG CASH

#19269 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Waves within waves. Bears gotta hibernate some more? Yup

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#19270 strydomk

strydomk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:33 PM

I've seen quite a few traders on twitter complain about the small daily range. 200 points for 4 days. Generally, what does a small range imply? Consolidation or investors not comfortable with this level?

#19271 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Isn't this the same as just using a 10 MA?

More like 3 MA lines one at 8 one at 10 and one at 12. the reason I went for this is using what is essentially a wider line eliminates some of the false  buy and sell signals. Just seems to take out more of the bumps and improves my profit. 

Grant 

#19272 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

Yes or No

Watching this thread is very interesting. the Wave theory thing is something I have never looked at before, and I am struggling to get my head around it and trust the predictions it makes. As a relatively small trader I need a more direct Yes or NO type of analysis. I have been using one system for about 6 months and have decided to ask if the group thinks this is a good method to trade on or not, it has worked very well for me so far. 

I use Bollinger bands but alter the settings to, 10 and 0.1. for a long trade I wait for the candle to cross the bands and then wait for one full candle to occur above the band. I stay in the trade as long as the candles remain above the bands, the exit is the same as the entry but I wait for one full candle to happen below the band (not touch the band).

If the candles start to look like they are going to cross the bands I confirm with MACD and look at how close the histogram is to the zero point, if it is well above the zero I continue the trade.  

works best on a 10 minute chart but I enter a trade on the 5 minute chart and then watch the 10 for the exit. Works Wonderfully for day trades and short (3 or 4 day trades)

Has anyone tried this before and are there any comments on how I could improve it.

Grant

Isn't this the same as just using a 10 MA?

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#19273 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

And still she grinds and consolidate to only push higher...bulls got the bears at the throat, but for how long....should see some decent action in June (futures close-out month)!

Can't remember the last time I saw 'Sell in May..and go away'! :wacko:

A

Attached Files

"Never never never give up!"

#19274 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Why was there a 38 point jump on the SA40(cash) IG at 11:54? It's not on the Futures...

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#19275 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

So what happens if we get shocking GDP numbers? Mr market ignores the fact that SA is borderline reccession and makes a new high??

Our economy has been in a mess from last 5 years.

Bad number actually will take market higher via weakening pound!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#19276 strydomk

strydomk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:55 AM

#19277 farouk

farouk

The Oracle

• 2,725 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Morning all..Everyone too busy watching their screens atm?  :ph34r:

No they all gone to the bank.

Maybe  margin calls.

:D

#19278 strydomk

strydomk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Bit of a crazy open.

#19279 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

If she reaches 45800 by end of this week (That would breach the convergence and present a more dynamic positive).and correct into the 13th June for only to get back up very possible 46490 can be reached (should mark the top of the bullish channel)!

When do you see it getting there? (mid to end of July) See Caldaro says major top should come around July with the presidential cycle down starting into October!

Going against Caldaro is seldom a winner

A

PS

I was seeing this converging of the extension of the 5th as a prospective 2nd diagonal triangle. But the required divergence on macd histogram has not materialised.

Taking the SPX as a guide this move can still be in 3rd and right now a short sharp corrective 4th to 44600 will not suprise and will add some zest.

Thanks V

Ye, that Caldaro is a legend!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#19280 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

If she reaches 45800 by end of this week (That would breach the convergence and present a more dynamic positive).and correct into the 13th June for only to get back up very possible 46490 can be reached (should mark the top of the bullish channel)!

When do you see it getting there? (mid to end of July) See Caldaro says major top should come around July with the presidential cycle down starting into October!

Going against Caldaro is seldom a winner

A

PS

I was seeing this converging of the extension of the 5th as a prospective 2nd diagonal triangle. But the required divergence on macd histogram has not materialised.

Taking the SPX as a guide this move can still be in 3rd and right now a short sharp corrective 4th to 44600 will not suprise and will add some zest.

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting