• Please log in to reply
35854 replies to this topic

#23861 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Sold my 3 longs (average bought level of 42315) for 42 393 = R2255 profit.
Scared to leave overnight  :unsure:

:) har har, I hope I didn't come across as being the patient type! LOL

Took just under 100 points off the table now. Was a looong slow day for my trade.

Thanks Argento. Will look into things tomorrow again... waiting for that squeeze (and trying to catch it, as well)

This grinding dull sideways action normally gets resolved with a nice squeeze...seasonality is telling us upside resolution is coming, February it should be grinding downwards again and then down into the 13th!

Just gotta have the patience... B)

A

Damon alsi. Now just watch US climb tonight. Looking to get entry at 42200.

#23862 mountainman

mountainman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationVereeniging

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Sold my 3 longs (average bought level of 42315) for 42 393 = R2255 profit.

Scared to leave overnight  :unsure:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit,
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

#23863 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

hi

This is maybe a simple answer for most of you,but im a bit confused,how do i work out position sizing for alsi trading?. I trade on the velocity platform(auto position sizing) but want to move to swordfish,but they dnt have a automatic calculator. Lets say i want to risk R1000 on one trade? what should i do now?

Thanks  :)

I hope this makes sense. See attached "on the fly" calc.  

First, choose your entry and your S/L.  Then you have the amount of pips "at risk" if I can put it like that.  Then you know that you want to risk, say R1000 on this trade.  You know that an IG Micro contract is R2 per pip and mini is R10 per pip.  So now the only unknown is the amount you need to buy, so that, if the Top40 goes against you with 300 pts that you will only loose R1000.  Simple solving.  See attached for example.

(unknown)x300pipsxR2per pip = R1000, thus R1000/600 = 1.6 micro contracts

(unknown)x300pipsxR10per pip = R1000 , thus R1000/3000 = 0.3 mini contracts 

etc. 

Attached Files

Edited by AJS, 22 January 2014 - 05:15 PM.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23864 Red

Red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

hi

This is maybe a simple answer for most of you,but im a bit confused,how do i work out position sizing for alsi trading?. I trade on the velocity platform(auto position sizing) but want to move to swordfish,but they dnt have a automatic calculator. Lets say i want to risk R1000 on one trade? what should i do now?

Thanks  :)

#23865 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

:) har har, I hope I didn't come across as being the patient type! LOL

Took just under 100 points off the table now. Was a looong slow day for my trade.

Thanks Argento. Will look into things tomorrow again... waiting for that squeeze (and trying to catch it, as well)

This grinding dull sideways action normally gets resolved with a nice squeeze...seasonality is telling us upside resolution is coming, February it should be grinding downwards again and then down into the 13th!

A

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#23866 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Do I take my 50+ points and bank, or is there more to squeeze here?

A

"Never never never give up!"

#23867 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

Do I take my 50+ points and bank, or is there more to squeeze here?

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#23868 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

A tip-of-the-hat to you for banking 6300 points!  :ph34r: 

;)

#23869 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

A tip-of-the-hat to you for banking 6300 points!  :ph34r: 

Thanks L. I've worked very hard on discipline towards end of last year. I constantly withdraw profits, to keep myself disciplined and not take bigger risks(past mistake). With Santa rally made over 7000 points(collectively) and banked 90%.

This week has been different, made points and gave them back yesterday. Down 100 points for the week.  

#23870 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but unless you withdraw the 2000 points profit, the market will take it back sooner rather than later! Have seen many a poster celebrating a big win, then a couple of days or weeks later the same reason for joy is diminished by one gagga trade.

Bits and bobs. Well done on your 2k pips!

Thanks L. I've worked very hard on discipline towards end of last year. I constantly withdraw profits, to keep myself disciplined and not take bigger risks(past mistake). With Santa rally made over 7000 points(collectively) and banked 90%.

This week has been different, made points and gave them back yesterday. Down 100 points for the week.  

#23871 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but unless you withdraw the 2000 points profit, the market will take it back sooner rather than later! Have seen many a poster celebrating a big win, then a couple of days or weeks later the same reason for joy is diminished by one gagga trade.

Bits and bobs. Well done on your 2k pips!

Short term trading is definitely more challenging lately and the levels at now. I must say though that trading the big movements are actually more rewarding then 100 points a day. Last week I had almost 2000 points. I have a slightly different approach then the big guys though. I also try to accumulate various positions then close some when I see a possible change. Two weeks ago someone here could have bagged 200-500 points but ended up probably even for holding on. My take is to take profit where you get uncomfortable, as you can always enter a trade again.

#23872 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Bieg tyd.....

Must admit I was a bit peeved off the other day when AJS responded to a post of mine, stating that I should get a system and stick to it....since I had a system. BUT....it stayed with me and over the weekend I decided to review it given some recent readings etc.....also the fact that I am not yet consistently profitable.

So....did some work....formulated some additional important parameters and revived my training log...AND I AM READING IT a couple of times per day....so I can get it firmly embedded into my thick skull......

Went well this week....only one trade slipped up yesterday...another accidental one that turned bad....

So, thanks AJS ;)

Eish, jammer man! Wasn't my intention to sound "like that". Just said that I am of opinion that having a system and executing based on that makes life easier.

;)

Will forward my address for deliver of the blue label bottle Haha :)

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#23873 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Bieg tyd.....

Must admit I was a bit peeved off the other day when AJS responded to a post of mine, stating that I should get a system and stick to it....since I had a system. BUT....it stayed with me and over the weekend I decided to review it given some recent readings etc.....also the fact that I am not yet consistently profitable.

So....did some work....formulated some additional important parameters and revived my training log...AND I AM READING IT a couple of times per day....so I can get it firmly embedded into my thick skull......

Went well this week....only one trade slipped up yesterday...another accidental one that turned bad....

So, thanks AJS ;)

Awesome P.

"The trading genius was previously an idiot or is closer to being one tomorrow. Keep learning."

#23874 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Bieg tyd.....

So, thanks AJS ;)

Eish, jammer man! Wasn't my intention to sound "like that". Just meant that I am of opinion that having a system and executing based on that makes life easier. 

;)

Edited by AJS, 22 January 2014 - 03:16 PM.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23875 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I might need to add, the market(s) is(are) in a hyper-extended momentum atm. maybe so as of QE and this makes short term trading regimes challenging.

Short term trading is definitely more challenging lately and the levels at now. I must say though that trading the big movements are actually more rewarding then 100 points a day. Last week I had almost 2000 points. I have a slightly different approach then the big guys though. I also try to accumulate various positions then close some when I see a possible change. Two weeks ago someone here could have bagged 200-500 points but ended up probably even for holding on. My take is to take profit where you get uncomfortable, as you can always enter a trade again.

#23876 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I might need to add, the market(s) is(are) in a hyper-extended momentum atm. maybe so as of QE and this makes short term trading regimes challenging.

If 2013 has taught anyone anything, it should be that there is no space for a rigid or static trading regime. Doing back-tests on any regime is mere platitude or self-soothing.

I stick to 100 points a day (my regime!? har har - LOL). I will admit I also went for those promised big movements across many days, had a 50% success rate. The idea is nice 'n all, but these "wille" swings kicked configured SLs too easily me thinks.

Just my 10c's worth..

#23877 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

If 2013 has taught anyone anything, it should be that there is no space for a rigid or static trading regime. Doing back-tests on any regime is mere platitude or self-soothing.

I stick to 100 points a day (my regime!? har har - LOL). I will admit I also went for those promised big movements across many days, had a 50% success rate. The idea is nice 'n all, but these "wille" swings kicked configured SLs too easily me thinks.

Just my 10c's worth..

Bieg tyd.....

So, thanks AJS ;)

#23878 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Bieg tyd.....

So, thanks AJS ;)

So are you comforble to share your system?

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#23879 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Bieg tyd.....

So, thanks AJS ;)

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#23880 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

The longer she clings to this level without breaking down, the greater the chances of a spike up...

On 5 min chart first indication of potential upward movement....let's see if it holds...

Now bumping against top of BB. Will she break through or head down again? ....

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting