35854 replies to this topic

#23821 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:40 PM

Quick update, so we have broken out of the consolidation band with blue skies above...but as these patterns work need to see the backtest (in February) first to 41600ish futures before lift off to 44000!

But for now should only grind higher into the 31st....

A

"Never never never give up!"

#23822 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

She's goooonnneee...

Have to wait a little longer, like our friend BBW...

K

Followed forumers advice and closed the shorts I opened @ 42400 for a small profit; same again @ 42500. Will now wait and rather loose out on a few hundred points when it turns?? :unsure:

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#23823 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Chubby, don't turn into a bull just yet. She's tricking us. Just as we think that she won't drop, that's when it's going to happen!  ;)

K

Problem being, if there is a consolidation between 41800 and 42100 and indicators start to converge again we could see 43300..thats a long long way up..@ 42250 i have to give up..that will be a 2200 pip start to the new...in the red

Safe to say that consolidation band is now broken?

Bull flag playing out on daily so target around 44200ish...

Im going to look for a book explaining seasonality analyses cause technical means **** I can see.

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#23824 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Sometimes its better to wait for that turn then take your position. Its better losing out on 200 points then actually losing 200 points. We all know this fall will probably be bigger than the last and there is more than 2000 points for the taking. If you add more positions you can tripple it.

Another way to hedge your shorts is to take binaries. They cheap(depending when and where you enter). Nice way to fill up your account.

Fabes, I'm not too sure how binaries work, although I've got a good idea, but don't want to trade something that I don't completely understand. Is there a predetermined loss, if going against you? Isn't it something where you anyway have to call  which way the market will go; i.e. "telling it what to do"?

Edited by BBW, 23 January 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#23825 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Safe to say that consolidation band is now broken?

She's goooonnneee...

Have to wait a little longer, like our friend BBW...

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#23826 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Ding ding dong dong : moo moo. Well, there you have it, another day, another high on the Top40 (42579 (J200))! All in the cow’s stride!

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#23827 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Sometimes its better to wait for that turn then take your position. Its better losing out on 200 points then actually losing 200 points. We all know this fall will probably be bigger than the last and there is more than 2000 points for the taking. If you add more positions you can tripple it.

Another way to hedge your shorts is to take binaries. They cheap(depending when and where you enter). Nice way to fill up your account.

Hopefully a lesson I'll remember in future. Thanks

#23828 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

You are a brave sole.

I feel more like an "arse"-sole! I let my initial short position run too far (trying to tell the market what to do!), and now have to make the best of it, bringing my target/break-even point closer. Still trying to get the feel of things, trading the ALSI and unsure of myself calling the turn (when it eventually happens).

I have done the same don't worry so we learn. Good luck.

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#23829 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

You are a brave sole.

I feel more like an "arse"-sole! I let my initial short position run too far (trying to tell the market what to do!), and now have to make the best of it, bringing my target/break-even point closer. Still trying to get the feel of things, trading the ALSI and unsure of myself calling the turn (when it eventually happens).

#23830 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for responding BBW.

you are not shorting and letting it be, you are managing it by hedging it :)

At times I also try it, but the continually having to look, manage and adjust is tedious at times.

If I could see into the future, I would. If you can tell me where it's going to turn again, I'll wait. ;)   Average short position now 41600. (If it doesn't come back down there again, I'm f...d!) :o  Just hope my account holds. Trying to fill it up by playing the daily movements long. (Also find it easier doing this buying the dips, knowing that I've got a good short hedge)

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#23831 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

You are a brave sole.

I'll crap myself if I'm 1000 pips out of the money.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#23832 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

If I could see into the future, I would. If you can tell me where it's going to turn again, I'll wait. ;)   Average short position now 41600. (If it doesn't come back down there again, I'm f...d!) :o  Just hope my account holds. Trying to fill it up by playing the daily movements long. (Also find it easier doing this buying the dips, knowing that I've got a good short hedge)

You are a brave sole.

#23833 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

fabes, sorry, but at what time does the IG binaries close/reset/pay out?  Is it 17:00, futures close at 17:30 or does it run with the UK close?  Thanks!

#23834 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

#23835 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

Edited by BBW, 23 January 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#23836 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

So, why not climb-in higher up down the road?

Remember I'm longer term ...(when going short).

#23837 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

A beast is a beast

Remember I'm longer term ...(when going short).

Edited by BBW, 23 January 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#23838 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Short @ 42400 (IG cash)

A beast is a beast

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#23839 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

R11/$ here we come, hold on!

#23840 BBW

BBW

Master