• Please log in to reply
35854 replies to this topic

#26881 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Where are we moving to? The world and it's mother is green, but SA is red. What's the logic behind that?

#26882 UpAnDdOwN

UpAnDdOwN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think your issue with 4.56 is that the market is in auction period, and I almost think SB does not show you auction prices etc.

But yes, the fact that you can not get into your platform is really a big issue, especially if you have open positions.

It really is quite a joke

Yesterday on IG i got closed out on all my positions, even though I couldnt edit any trades! was very frustrating! and now today its the same on SB.

But it appears to be a problem associated with the JSE and not the broker

AS far as I understand they are implementing something which is causing problems all over the place, how do you try launch something which causes this much chaos...effin crazy!

Edited by UpAnDdOwN, 22 November 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#26883 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

whatever the JSE is doing is really messing things up, IG down yesterday, Standard Bank down now. at the end of each day, my standard bank positions disappear at around 4.56pm and I cannot see what is going on.

How can they perform updates or implementation with such bad side effects, where is their project management? wow its frustrating! 

I think your issue with 4.56 is that the market is in auction period, and I almost think SB does not show you auction prices etc.

But yes, the fact that you can not get into your platform is really a big issue, especially if you have open positions.

It really is quite a joke

Alsi future

I only post my views, not advice

#26884 UpAnDdOwN

UpAnDdOwN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

whatever the JSE is doing is really messing things up, IG down yesterday, Standard Bank down now. at the end of each day, my standard bank positions disappear at around 4.56pm and I cannot see what is going on.

How can they perform updates or implementation with such bad side effects, where is their project management? wow its frustrating! 

#26885 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Posted by gringots on Yesterday, 10:47 AM in ShareChat

gringots, on 21 Nov 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:snapback.png

short almi at 40239, looking for a support level or 2.

gringots, on 21 Nov 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:snapback.png

Looks like we through s2, looking for s3 at 40036... what are the chances?

and bounce right after I post that...

Got out yesterday at the close around 40080ish, no position right now, cant get into my trading platform... :-(

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#26886 Redeemer

Redeemer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

nice nice...very nice :P

#26887 RBM

RBM

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

long in place

#26888 gringots

gringots

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Who here is using OST?

I'm sure I would be really pissed off if I had an open position with them and now they say OST is not available. Phone the call center for assistance.

Hahaha, what a joke!

Just saw that now myself, fortunately don't have a position open but I'm sure they will sort it out soon.

"Attitude produces better overall results than analysis or technique, of course the ideal situation is to have both, but you really don't need both, because if you have the right attitude the right mindset then everything else about trading will be relatively easy even simple and certainly a lot more fun." - Mark Douglas, Trading in the Zone.

Don't listen to me, I'm a market Rookie.

#26889 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Who here is using OST?

I'm sure I would be really pissed off if I had an open position with them and now they say OST is not available. Phone the call center for assistance.

Hahaha, what a joke!

Alsi future

#26890 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Allow me to pitch in another cent or so...

One crime that every trader is guilty of at some stage is GREED. 

You start to open position sizes that are TOO LARGE for your account.

When things go your way, you ride the endorphin high and start opening even BIGGER POSITIONS.

Then the market turns and all those profits DISAPPEAR.

RISK MANAGEMENT is a large part of what it is about.

When you open a position and you start to feel UNCOMFORTABLE when it goes against you, then it is TOO LARGE A POSITION. 

When you hit the BUY/SELL button, the money that you can AFFORD to lose on the trade must already be GONE in your mind.

K

While we're sharing, I'll also jump in.

I'm a regular middle income guy with a job in the banking sector. I have lost over R150,000 since August 2011 on the Top40 IG Cash.

Fortunately no kids / direct responsibilities besides my own lifestyle. But I am guilty of exactly what Argento mentions below. It seems like LONG, catching the express train is the right thing to do. Which it may or may not be. But either way I don't ever have enough cash to ride out the inevitable move against me.

When I get a big injection of cash I pump it into my account, thinking that having a bigger account will somehow enable me to make a successful trade... but I still end up mucking around with my stop loss too early, watching the screen. Basically, doing it wrong, over and over again. The next morning I look at this forum, and the charts and reckon I can make it right... so I do an express payment of small amounts, (The lowest on record being R250 to make a micro contract punt with a 30  pip stop) into the IG account at a cost of R38 a pop, phone and harass IG consultants until the amount reflects. Trade the second the account is updated. Sometimes get lucky, but then ramp up the position size, and erase the gains of some textbook trades.

The crazy thing is that I believe I have a great sense of how the ALSI works. I am insightful when I am immersed in trading, and a perceptive mind. Often my initial analysis is quite correct, and if I had kept my first trade open all day, and gotten on with my day job, closed in the evening, I would have been far more successful. Yet, my email box on a given day can contain up to 30 messages from IG Markets reflecting opening and closing positions. I flitter between my computer screen and the app on my phone when I'm not able to be at my desk, my positions being opened and closed either by stoplosses set to small, or me reacting to this forum, 'express train riders', calmer Argento logic, Bloomberg, Garth Mackenzie, ALSTrader on twitter, Interest Rates, FED decisions, Dividend Adjustments... 

Its a screw up - I love trading, being ADD, this is one thing that I can focus on all day and night if necessary, yet I do in fact believe that what I am doing is more than akin to a gambling habit. I drive home, punching the steering wheel of my financed car, thinking of what the R150,000 would be worth if I had just bought Satrix 40 with it a few years ago, and wondering where I'll get the 30k I need to put a ring on the finger of the girl I love. I know, I’ll make it on IG today, sure I can do it with R5k, after all, we’re going up right? J

I hope that this resonates with someone, perhaps silently watching this forum as I do.

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#26891 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Adding a long @39872

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#26892 massimo

massimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Closed my long of 40000 at 40031 ...

This taking profit thing can be tricky my first target was 40135 ... but decided no.. let me wait for 40229 (Didnt happen, but just watched the market from 08:30 - 09:30 aimlessly)

Then place sell order at 40135. (After missing the opportunity to close here )

Market order sell at 40031.

Im happy i still kept it in the green .... but upset i let my 135 points slip.

Trying to develop the habit of making a profitb (Letting go of the holding on to loosing trades) ... anyone got some advice for me ...

#26893 Magic_Matt

Magic_Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

While we're sharing, I'll also jump in.

I'm a regular middle income guy with a job in the banking sector. I have lost over R150,000 since August 2011 on the Top40 IG Cash.

Fortunately no kids / direct responsibilities besides my own lifestyle. But I am guilty of exactly what Argento mentions below. It seems like LONG, catching the express train is the right thing to do. Which it may or may not be. But either way I don't ever have enough cash to ride out the inevitable move against me.

When I get a big injection of cash I pump it into my account, thinking that having a bigger account will somehow enable me to make a successful trade... but I still end up mucking around with my stop loss too early, watching the screen. Basically, doing it wrong, over and over again. The next morning I look at this forum, and the charts and reckon I can make it right... so I do an express payment of small amounts, (The lowest on record being R250 to make a micro contract punt with a 30  pip stop) into the IG account at a cost of R38 a pop, phone and harass IG consultants until the amount reflects. Trade the second the account is updated. Sometimes get lucky, but then ramp up the position size, and erase the gains of some textbook trades.

The crazy thing is that I believe I have a great sense of how the ALSI works. I am insightful when I am immersed in trading, and a perceptive mind. Often my initial analysis is quite correct, and if I had kept my first trade open all day, and gotten on with my day job, closed in the evening, I would have been far more successful. Yet, my email box on a given day can contain up to 30 messages from IG Markets reflecting opening and closing positions. I flitter between my computer screen and the app on my phone when I'm not able to be at my desk, my positions being opened and closed either by stoplosses set to small, or me reacting to this forum, 'express train riders', calmer Argento logic, Bloomberg, Garth Mackenzie, ALSTrader on twitter, Interest Rates, FED decisions, Dividend Adjustments... 

Its a screw up - I love trading, being ADD, this is one thing that I can focus on all day and night if necessary, yet I do in fact believe that what I am doing is more than akin to a gambling habit. I drive home, punching the steering wheel of my financed car, thinking of what the R150,000 would be worth if I had just bought Satrix 40 with it a few years ago, and wondering where I'll get the 30k I need to put a ring on the finger of the girl I love. I know, I’ll make it on IG today, sure I can do it with R5k, after all, we’re going up right? J

I hope that this resonates with someone, perhaps silently watching this forum as I do.

Hi P,

Not to sound harsh but you are going to keep losing money on the way you trade!

Not even the best makes money on jumping in and out of the market to catch the daily fluctuations...and especially taking a trade cause the other indexes are up, TOP40 is its own beast and only way your going to have a change is to trade it's charts!

Know you and L said once trading with a small account is different then a big one, its exactly the same, if you can't follow the right trading strategy with less you won't make it with more!

There is no confirmation the correction is over so to jump in long now is a shot in the dark!

I was there and unfortunately learned the hard way! ;)

A

Hi P,

Not to sound harsh but you are going to keep losing money on the way you trade!

Not even the best makes money on jumping in and out of the market to catch the daily fluctuations...and especially taking a trade cause the other indexes are up, TOP40 is its own beast and only way your going to have a change is to trade it's charts!

Know you and L said once trading with a small account is different then a big one, its exactly the same, if you can't follow the right trading strategy with less you won't make it with more!

There is no confirmation the correction is over so to jump in long now is a shot in the dark!

I was there and unfortunately learned the hard way! ;)

A

#26894 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Weak or Plastic Hearts must stay out of Market

Time to separate the Man from the Boys

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#26895 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

What now? Level of drop?

Just buy.

I did say these levels will be for the brave only

#26896 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

What now? Level of drop?

IMO,

Stick to the trend, and wait for a turn, dont try and time it.

Alsi future

#26897 Django

Django

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

What now? Level of drop?

#26898 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Uhm, I did? Then I must have grown plenty since then.

:)

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#26899 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

any one else buying at this level....

Those who want lower levels, and cannot afford to have many longs positions.

Wait for the London open dip@ 10h00

#26900 OceanWalz

OceanWalz

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

I agree, The unspoken expectation that there would be a bounce this morning on oversold levels , and speculators has not added the long green candle - now how will instituional buyes view the market  - we are oversold and US overbougth making us relatively good options for longs? and the perception of our data links being down yesterday , for whose ever fault leaves a negative view with some overseas buyers -  So, follow our plan or the grapthe r

the bounce on the premise of us being oversold and them (S&P500 etc) being overbought , even with SP futures green right now I still see long tails on top and bottom candles, but those are gapped down candles - but ideally should wait for FTSE open for directional help

Edited by OceanWalz, 22 November 2013 - 09:17 AM.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting