35854 replies to this topic

#27861 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Technically a drop more than 10% is considered as a classic market correction...a crash, well everybody knows when that happens and you remember it! :(

Looking good for the shorts..not sure if the C leg has started yet...will be an impulsive decline (1/2 days), then we will know the low is in..she can still zig zag up and down before though...!

A

B leg up still alive..but the C leg down is coming!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#27862 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hi A. Is there a site I can go to to read more about the sentiment indicator you refer to above?

Hi S,

Check out www.marketoracle.co.uk, I follow Tony Caldaro, Andre Gratian and Jack Steiman published articles/analysis, but just as information but they are quite good!

A

#27863 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Drop correction crash blah blah and buy the dip comes out tops again.

The problem is or market does not get to move nicely with the US market, because it opens at 16h30 now, and our market closes after the US open.

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#27864 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hi S,

You must be a great follower of Nadeem Walayat...see he calls for a Santa rally to above Dow 16,000 by late Dec 2013 and for the rally to possibly extend into March 2014 and above Dow 17,000!

Looking at the consolidation the US indexes made the past months it is very possible, and he has called it quite right before!

Only thing that is troublesome is sentiment...we are at pre-crash levels, back in April 2011 we had a reading of 41.6% and corrected 23%,in October 2007 we had a spread of 42.6% which corrected 50% (Jack Steiman figures).

We are very close to either those numbers so interesting to see what will transpire in the coming days and how the Fed protection will impact the course of any type of correction!

But short term it is possible we could see a quick snap down...interesting times! :rolleyes:

A

People say i am a bull. I'm not a bull or a bear, I'm just bullish in a bull trend. I never trade against the trend.

How can i stand in front of a train and act like it's not coming.

It might take time or still be busy at another train station( correcting) but it's coming.

And it crushes everything in front of it.

Everybody is scared of taper. I would in fact like the FED to taper so we can have the big drop. It gives others a chance to buy good companies for pennies.

Market crashes affect the man in the street, it does not affect traders or capitalists.

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#27865 Shortboy

Shortboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Hi S,

You must be a great follower of Nadeem Walayat...see he calls for a Santa rally to above Dow 16,000 by late Dec 2013 and for the rally to possibly extend into March 2014 and above Dow 17,000!

Looking at the consolidation the US indexes made the past months it is very possible, and he has called it quite right before!

Only thing that is troublesome is sentiment...we are at pre-crash levels, back in April 2011 we had a reading of 41.6% and corrected 23%,in October 2007 we had a spread of 42.6% which corrected 50% (Jack Steiman figures).

We are very close to either those numbers so interesting to see what will transpire in the coming days and how the Fed protection will impact the course of any type of correction!

But short term it is possible we could see a quick snap down...interesting times! :rolleyes:

A

Hi A. Is there a site I can go to to read more about the sentiment indicator you refer to above?

IG SA40

#27866 ptomli

ptomli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

My expectation of my S/L getting triggered Monday/Tuesday seems to have failed. Not that I'm complaining, but that was mighty close  :angry:

#27867 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Drop correction crash blah blah and buy the dip comes out tops again.

IG CASH

#27868 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

If we beak 40600 (IG) convincingly I might actually enter a short!

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#27869 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Tapering tightens the market. US 10 year will spike up. 

I guess the FED are stuck in a corner. There is so much hype about taper that when they taper, the next month they will have to add more QE

The big question, will Bernanke resign with a bang or will Yellen start with a bang. I dont think anyone wants to be responsible for the  greatest financial crash that will happen when the US10 year bonds spike.

A strong dollar will just make US debt more. That's why China is buying  a lot of gold, they are preparing for the dollar crash. The Chinese are not stupid. When the Chinese have aquired enough gold, they will stop buying US debt, then the dollar will crash.

A dollar based economy is not good for the Chinese, they are buying US debt to keep their currency weak and make dollar strong. A strong dollar makes gold cheap for China to buy.

The are a lot of mind games in the economy. As traders we can only make money out of it. Who cares weather they taper.

Just my 2c

Hi S,

A

#27870 Jonker

Jonker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Any thoughts about US opening? Futures look red.... You can only buy THAT many dips...

#27871 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

A crash leaves you out of pocket. A correction merely reduces your profit. So the same shift in the market can mean different things to different people.

Someone in the market for the last 30 years will see any upcoming ~30% drop in valuations as a correction. Someone who bought in yesterday will be looking for the nearest tall building.

Technically a drop more than 10% is considered as a classic market correction...a crash, well everybody knows when that happens and you remember it! :(

Looking good for the shorts..not sure if the C leg has started yet...will be an impulsive decline (1/2 days), then we will know the low is in..she can still zig zag up and down before though...!

A

#27872 Jonker

Jonker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Any thoughts about US opening? Futures look red.... You can only buy THAT many dips...

#27873 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Well, tight trading range this afternoon as depicted on 5 min chart. Did not trade that, except somewhere in the beginning and lost some more points with a short. Now looking for 150 points. Not confident that our market will be giving that away now with a long. Moving from a strong bull sentiment to a more neutral sentiment. Seems markets will be waiting for Thursday to hear the position of the potentially new fed chair. Bummer...

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#27874 ptomli

ptomli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

a crash is a drop is and a correction is something milder

A crash leaves you out of pocket. A correction merely reduces your profit. So the same shift in the market can mean different things to different people.

Someone in the market for the last 30 years will see any upcoming ~30% drop in valuations as a correction. Someone who bought in yesterday will be looking for the nearest tall building.

#27875 OceanWalz

OceanWalz

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

And I never said crash, or even correction, I said drop.

Hi Jakes - just want to clarify bec in 'my' understanding a crash is a drop is and a correction is something milder - just clarify please

- but I guess here it means a drop as something milder?

#27876 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Tapering does not mean the end of QE.

I expect we will see FED start to taper, but, when markets react very badly to this, they will prob resume printing.

FED will not be able to continue buying $85 bil of assets a month forever, assuming that is stupid.

But trying to call when they will stop could be expensive.

Tapering tightens the market. US 10 year will spike up. 

I guess the FED are stuck in a corner. There is so much hype about taper that when they taper, the next month they will have to add more QE

The big question, will Bernanke resign with a bang or will Yellen start with a bang. I dont think anyone wants to be responsible for the  greatest financial crash that will happen when the US10 year bonds spike.

A strong dollar will just make US debt more. That's why China is buying  a lot of gold, they are preparing for the dollar crash. The Chinese are not stupid. When the Chinese have aquired enough gold, they will stop buying US debt, then the dollar will crash.

A dollar based economy is not good for the Chinese, they are buying US debt to keep their currency weak and make dollar strong. A strong dollar makes gold cheap for China to buy.

The are a lot of mind games in the economy. As traders we can only make money out of it. Who cares weather they taper.

Just my 2c

#27877 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

The reason the ECB reduced rates was because of low inflation. The UK just posted low CPI numbers today, this will support FTSE going up. The US is not out of the woods yet, inflation is still low.

The bears are so wishing QE ends. One thing i can tell you is that QE is here to stay. As long as the big companies Goldman Sachs,Coca Cola, McDonalds, ExxonMobil,IBM,Microsoft,Apple,Visa,Procter & Gamble, Walmart are still controlling the world. Just remember that Walmart is not a making a big profit yet. This means consumers are not spending.

Bull markets only end when the is a big hype in the stock market and consumers feeling rich. The problem with the FED is that everytime they want to taper, the market contracts 2 or 3 months after the announcement. Consumers spend less, then the FED are scared to taper. Taper is a phycology game between the FED and traders. Those of us who have known this for the past 3 years have made a lot of money. Those who are always expecting a taper or crash have lost big time. One thing i have also realised is that everytime the market has a correction people think it's a crash. Then bulls like me are the ones who make money when the market finally decides to shoot up.

The South African rand will continue to be weak, exporting companies or companies with global presence will continue to push up. That's why you find companies like Shoprite expanding  a lot of shops outside of South Africa. The South African consumer will suffer the most. MTN is a safer company than Vodacom. The ALSI has only been pushed up by companies which make profits in dollars. I expect that to continue. You must take a look at the wheat and oil price in the US, it's very low. This shows you that inflation wont come now.

The US WTI oil price will come down further because by 2016, the US will we the worlds biggest oil producer. But South African inflation we sky rocket at that time. That's why it's good to  trade in a dollar account than a Rand account. 

Tapering does not mean the end of QE.

I expect we will see FED start to taper, but, when markets react very badly to this, they will prob resume printing.

FED will not be able to continue buying $85 bil of assets a month forever, assuming that is stupid.

But trying to call when they will stop could be expensive.

Alsi future

I only post my views, not advice

#27878 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

The question is, will you recognize the turn?

Our climb has been QE fueled, the drop will also be QE (end) fueled.

I see this drop as tapering starting to be priced in, could get ugly.

But its worked for you so far, you def have a bigger pair than me.

ps. The trend is your friend, but watch for the bend at the end. 

The reason the ECB reduced rates was because of low inflation. The UK just posted low CPI numbers today, this will support FTSE going up. The US is not out of the woods yet, inflation is still low.

The bears are so wishing QE ends. One thing i can tell you is that QE is here to stay. As long as the big companies Goldman Sachs,Coca Cola, McDonalds, ExxonMobil,IBM,Microsoft,Apple,Visa,Procter & Gamble, Walmart are still controlling the world. Just remember that Walmart is not a making a big profit yet. This means consumers are not spending.

Bull markets only end when the is a big hype in the stock market and consumers feeling rich. The problem with the FED is that everytime they want to taper, the market contracts 2 or 3 months after the announcement. Consumers spend less, then the FED are scared to taper. Taper is a phycology game between the FED and traders. Those of us who have known this for the past 3 years have made a lot of money. Those who are always expecting a taper or crash have lost big time. One thing i have also realised is that everytime the market has a correction people think it's a crash. Then bulls like me are the ones who make money when the market finally decides to shoot up.

The South African rand will continue to be weak, exporting companies or companies with global presence will continue to push up. That's why you find companies like Shoprite expanding  a lot of shops outside of South Africa. The South African consumer will suffer the most. MTN is a safer company than Vodacom. The ALSI has only been pushed up by companies which make profits in dollars. I expect that to continue. You must take a look at the wheat and oil price in the US, it's very low. This shows you that inflation wont come now.

The US WTI oil price will come down further because by 2016, the US will we the worlds biggest oil producer. But South African inflation we sky rocket at that time. That's why it's good to  trade in a dollar account than a Rand account. 

#27879 Plasma

Plasma

Silfen Path Wanderer

• 2,286 posts
  • LocationSilvergalde

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

Need 136 points to break-even for the day...

The first goal is to ensure survival – avoid the risks that can empty your account and put you out of the trading business.  :)

#27880 Redeemer

Redeemer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Last one at 40644...now for the wait :wacko:

Last long 40650.

Now to sit and make watch a movie and let the money roll in.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting