Bulls or bears everyone?

#30843 Magic_Matt

Magic_Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hello all.

Can anyone point me to information, or share some of the possible scenarios / opportunities which are relevant to the Syria debacle.

My basic understanding is that 'War is profitable.' How could this be realized in a South African / JSE / ALSI context?

Eg. Long on shares which are positively affected by declining exchange rate like SAB? Long on gold?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to share.

#30844 Trainee Trader

Trainee Trader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

1. CFDs = leveraged product

2. Your account will be credited by the divi tally, BUT the index falls by the same point tally - so the  net effect at that moment is ***-for-tat. You then need to wait it out and trust that ALSI is heading up, to make it worthwhile

3. If you hold a physical share, you get the gain of the divi. For ALSI, yo uget the gain, but the index drops

4. Ask yourself the question, using your own Risk Mgmt strategy and market deductions, will ALSI go up or down after the divi declaration?

5, 6, 7, 8 ... 100. If you incur a loss, NEVER revenge trade in making it up. A loss is a loss. Do not trade to recoup it. Trade to next-time make a profit. Think about this, big difference!

Many more reasons to take divis in your stride, but not play divis for the sake of the divi (using ALSI CFDs).

Alas, it is always still your choice! There are times that it will work, but trading is about risk mitigation and strategising more than anything else.

Happiness?

Trainee Trader, on 29 Aug 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:snapback.png

It is too late now to strategise around the divi.

My subjective advise would be: don't go for the divi. Many reasons not too. it looks good on paper, but you need a sincere bull market to make it work.

Trainee Trader, on 29 Aug 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:snapback.png

Thanks for your reply. Can you please help me understand why it's not a good idea? I do this with equities... never tried with CFD Index.

Your input is valuable as i have been watching the conversations here for sometime. Is there a book, or resource a i can look out that explains proven strategies available for CFD Index trading. I've had successful trades, but more unsuccessful than anything else. So my strategy is clearly not working for me.

IG Cash

#30845 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Now you are talking!  :D

as it's better to lose out on the 500 points then to lose actual 500 points.

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#30846 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Let us be serious for a moment (novel idea, I know)!

On the 1d and longer timelines, the scope of movement is just too big for my liking. I am getting used to the 1h with Mhlato's 1hour MA thingy, but even that still has too much scope in a volatile market for my liking. I am very happy to cut an intraday position even if it is only a couple of points in the profit, if it is not panning out. I still get stuck running a losing trade now and then though, especially if the agent of IG on this board is so positive in his / her typings!  ;)

All this talk of the 1000s of points this or that way is very alluring, but comes with a hefty risk aspect (and I have been down that road trading the expectation).

Roll on 100 points per day!

Lol or very lucky ;)

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#30847 fabes

fabes

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

You dont need big pockets Fabes..Just smaller hands..If you gonna play intraday make sure your TA is spot on..You have to be very very good to try and do what Lekker does..Else it just a lottery in my opinion..Its easier to play the big swings or channels once you know where you are in it. And don't work out how much you are gonna win first. Work out what you are prepared to lose first and then plan your trade accordingly with your entry and exit levels

I'm willing to take smaller profits, but my TA sucks. AS they say too much information is also not good. I enter too late and exit to early most times. Yesterday, today, I got out and could have made 100 points per trade and instead i settled for nothing. It's frustrating.

I'm not as experienced as you guys are, so I take into consideration the thoughts on the forum as it does keep one in line with regards to discipline, cause sometimes you go against the trend and make money , so it becomes habit, so I do appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Like today, my view is although the bears overpowered the bulls the past two days, our run was strong, so today would be a bull day and technically it was sofar.... So i lost out on 500 points last night as I was concerned over the trend. But at the same time its ok, as it's better to lose out on the 500 points then to lose actual 500 points.

#30848 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

So chubby, by your very own definition then, I am good! Whoop-whoop!  :D

I think the best advise is to know when to stop your trade (both winning and losing ones)! Having said that... I am now waiting for a slight reprieve, as I have an uncomfortably hot position atm, but the bigger picture is keeping me motivated. Har har, do we ever learn!

You dont need big pockets Fabes..Just smaller hands..If you gonna play intraday make sure your TA is spot on..You have to be very very good to try and do what Lekker does..Else it just a lottery in my opinion..Its easier to play the big swings or channels once you know where you are in it. And don't work out how much you are gonna win first. Work out what you are prepared to lose first and then plan your trade accordingly with your entry and exit levels

#30849 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

1. CFDs = leveraged product

2. Your account will be credited by the divi tally, BUT the index falls by the same point tally - so the  net effect at that moment is ***-for-tat. You then need to wait it out and trust that ALSI is heading up, to make it worthwhile

3. If you hold a physical share, you get the gain of the divi. For ALSI, yo uget the gain, but the index drops

4. Ask yourself the question, using your own Risk Mgmt strategy and market deductions, will ALSI go up or down after the divi declaration?

5, 6, 7, 8 ... 100. If you incur a loss, NEVER revenge trade in making it up. A loss is a loss. Do not trade to recoup it. Trade to next-time make a profit. Think about this, big difference!

Many more reasons to take divis in your stride, but not play divis for the sake of the divi (using ALSI CFDs).

Alas, it is always still your choice! There are times that it will work, but trading is about risk mitigation and strategising more than anything else.

Happiness?

My subjective advise would be: don't go for the divi. Many reasons not too. it looks good on paper, but you need a sincere bull market to make it work.

Thanks for your reply. Can you please help me understand why it's not a good idea? I do this with equities... never tried with CFD Index.

Edited by Lekkerry, 29 August 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#30850 OceanWalz

OceanWalz

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Syria still in the picture, basically that is what scared the market yesterday,trendline damaged so staying short. Gold is allso coming of its high. Only problem now is the dividend of tomorrow

Think they are just giving people time to organize for safety - so Sunday or Monday is more likely for strikes- and the one sided strikes on Syria I think is primarily to send a message home about to Iran and future Syrian regimes that any consideration of chemical terrorism on Israel (never mind the unfairness of threat that Israel having nukes for decades!) would be a lot harsher - end of day they cannot now back down gracefully but any strike will apparently be a mere brief event rather than 'war'.  and like all the other, far more serious, Mid east strikes, it ends up in market buying opportunities - and not so long ago we were all looking for dips to pile into for that retest of S&P500 at 1700++    and there is still a lot of potential shorts that may need to cover (unfortunately mine as well if it comes to it!) just  a thought  - I'm short yesterday from 38120 an ready , on balance of possibilities , just about ready to pull trigger for more on short side.

#30851 Trainee Trader

Trainee Trader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Guys,

I'm a newbie CFD trader and have lost BIG money in the past couple of days to to unexpected market moves on TOP40... very different to trading equities.

My last hope is to score on the DIVI tomorrow, to cover my losses.

Can someone please advise me on a strategy to maximise profits on the DIVI, without incurring further losses?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

IG Cash

#30852 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

You seem very confident?  :)

And that is my Oversold bounce on my long thank you very much..now short at the same level @ 38363

#30853 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Guys,

I'm a newbie CFD trader and have lost BIG money in the past couple of days to to unexpected market moves on TOP40... very different to trading equities.

Can someone please advise me on a strategy to maximise profits on the DIVI, without incurring further losses?

#30854 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

OK short starting to look like another bad idea!!!!!!@##$$%^&*

IG CASH

#30855 Trainee Trader

Trainee Trader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Guys,

IG Cash

#30856 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Syria still in the picture, basically that is what scared the market yesterday,trendline damaged so staying short. Gold is allso coming of its high. Only problem now is the dividend of tomorrow

Go BC.

Daily MACD very bearish, got a 15, 30 and 60min bearish crosses and under her 5h 21, so sit back and enjoy the 'bumpy' ride!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#30857 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Short @38251

IG CASH

#30858 Wingnut

Wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Short @38251

#30859 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Add short 38280

IG CASH

#30860 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

Lol!

:P

Big money lies in the big moves, if you short and hold you will be rewarded come end of September!

To try and catch the daily fluctuations will just eat your money, if you don't have a bit of a pocket to ride some moves out I don't believe it is worth playing!

But each got his own strategy...just my thoughts and experience mr Tiger!:0)

Had a nice backtest of the broken trendline this morning, so she should gradually come down in waves..unfortunately not a poet like Chubs!

A

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting