35854 replies to this topic

#17361 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Argento , thanks for that page on 'Stock Operator ' book - just these words I will pencil in on my trading plan :

"..not only the courage of his convictions but the intelligent patience to sit tight"

:)   oh well, patience is virtue they say , a profitable one in the case of trading

Pleasure O

Good to see you are still around! :ph34r:

A

"Never never never give up!"

#17362 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

:)   oh well, patience is virtue they say , a profitable one in the case of trading

sometimes patience can cause traders to become a patient in the hospital for stress. 

#17363 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

agreed, estimate Wednesday next week will end this little up, throwing in the sink on down, then will do the sink, the master bedroom the car and whatever else I can find for the run back up again. 

Imagine...3000 pips down and 4000 pips back up....o ye!

David Petch said one can make significant returns with the waves coming...and he is right!

A

Edited by Argento, 16 July 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#17364 OceanWalz

OceanWalz

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Argento , thanks for that page on 'Stock Operator ' book - just these words I will pencil in on my trading plan :

"..not only the courage of his convictions but the intelligent patience to sit tight"

#17365 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

So close...but eitherway expect new highs into next week....earnings season paid off again, not good for shorts!

BUT...look at the weekly macd, overbought and setting up negative divergence for that drop coming in August, one ride I'm going to take all the way down! :P

A

agreed, estimate Wednesday next week will end this little up, throwing in the sink on down, then will do the sink, the master bedroom the car and whatever else I can find for the run back up again. 

#17366 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

new record close within reach today ????????

So close...but eitherway expect new highs into next week....earnings season paid off again, not good for shorts!

BUT...look at the weekly macd, overbought and setting up negative divergence for that drop coming in August, one ride I'm going to take all the way down! :P

A

Attached Files

Edited by Argento, 16 July 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#17367 Wingnut

Wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

Indeed! and Im battling to sit tight

#17368 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

#17369 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

I agree with you that longer term is definitely classified as investing over speculation. My view is that the risk premium works for medium time-frames too, weeks and months as well as years, so has an advantage for speculation too  :)

B)

A

#17370 sequoia

sequoia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Then you are talking more about investing rather than speculation!

With the margin on futures and CFD's including the knock out levels for warrants it is a different ballgame...although the principle still applies of sitting tight the timeframe is less, these products are just too volatile to sit through a 1000 drop!

The reward is much more than normal equities but then again the risk much higher for losses!

Just my view...if your strategy works for you that is the key to your success! ;)

A

I agree with you that longer term is definitely classified as investing over speculation. My view is that the risk premium works for medium time-frames too, weeks and months as well as years, so has an advantage for speculation too  :)

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent – John Maynard Keynes

#17371 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

This leg is more like b until it breaks something.

Although the 3-4a was 84% of 1-2 (maybe short term low volume high sentiment afflicted).

The gap and lack of form in this wave appears without adequate excuse.

And now equal legs trip brings in bounce circa 47000 (futures)  ?

Thanks V

The level I looked at for a possible b has already been broken and therefore expect new highs, but not a new wave up, just distribution!

A

#17372 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

I disagree, what is the funding charge and what is the long run return of stocks?

I would argue that long run return of stocks is greater than cash, and to an amount far larger than the 250 bps spread IG charges. The equity risk premium is a wonderful thing over the long run. That's why position sizing is so important if you are to ride out the inevitable draw downs, sideway and whipsaw markets.

Last 10 year return on ALSI is an annualised rate of 21% to put it into perspective.

Then you are talking more about investing rather than speculation!

With the margin on futures and CFD's including the knock out levels for warrants it is a different ballgame...although the principle still applies of sitting tight the timeframe is less, these products are just too volatile to sit through a 1000 drop!

The reward is much more than normal equities but then again the risk much higher for losses!

Just my view...if your strategy works for you that is the key to your success! ;)

A

#17373 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I disagree, what is the funding charge and what is the long run return of stocks?

I would argue that long run return of stocks is greater than cash, and to an amount far larger than the 250 bps spread IG charges. The equity risk premium is a wonderful thing over the long run. That's why position sizing is so important if you are to ride out the inevitable draw downs, sideway and whipsaw markets.

Last 10 year return on ALSI is an annualised rate of 21% to put it into perspective.

I did not try the CFD.s I was only involved with the SA40 on IG. I do play much longer trades on CFDs but don't use IG to trade CFDs. On the SA40 I was always eaten up by interest. So as an example 2 full cash contract cost you 12000, so interest per day is 1200+- interest for 60 days is 72000 out of a potential 100K

G

#17374 Vertebrae

Vertebrae

Pachycephalosaurus

• Members
  • 2,075 posts
  • LocationDystopia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

If you look at the size of intermediate 1 and 2...4 should also be in that range, pointing to a 3000 points drop!

0.382 fib target aims at 44352ish futures..but can overshoot a bit!

This drop I will definitely short, then long again for intermediate V up into Oct!

But waiting for new highs and that signal....

A

This leg is more like b until it breaks something.

Although the 3-4a was 84% of 1-2 (maybe short term low volume high sentiment afflicted).

The gap and lack of form in this wave appears without adequate excuse.

And now equal legs trip brings in bounce circa 47000 (futures)  ?

Africa will never be regarded as adult until all of its organisations stop admiring and protecting criminal dictators.

MSM et al presents (sponsored) opinion as fact and seeks to indoctrinate. Journalists without ethics proliferate in a swamp of filthy lucre (BBC inclusive).

In response to decades of racism by fearful minority whites called apartheid there will be an eternity of racism by revengeful majority blacks called all kinds of excuses.

Corruption is not yet compulsory but it may as well be - Aggressive africanization uses the racist Employment Equity Act as a club.

Too many humans are too busy copulating to bother about the irresponsible, unsustainable and progressively catastrophic population explosion. 

Whilst humanity prevails so will evil. Evil will survive and thrive through sophisticated indoctrination and other conscience-suppressing disguises.

Desmond Tutu has been praying for the downfall of the ANC since 2011. Clearly he needs some assistance with such a difficult and worthy task..

Cockroaches still lurk on sharechat because it is prime real estate for their con artistry, duping and grand theft.

#17375 sequoia

sequoia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I tried those really long ones a few years ago, on a cash type system the interest gets you every time. and having the market turn sideways or down for 3 weeks that interest can really get you. I think A is right and I don't think anyone can stay in a trade on a cash type system for more than 2 months or you will make so little that all that stress is not worth the effort. if you don't get a result within 20 days dump it for the profit and start again.  

Edited by sequoia, 16 July 2014 - 12:44 PM.

Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent – John Maynard Keynes

#17376 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

SIMPLE!!!! Why is it so difficult then?

I tried those really long ones a few years ago, on a cash type system the interest gets you every time. and having the market turn sideways or down for 3 weeks that interest can really get you. I think A is right and I don't think anyone can stay in a trade on a cash type system for more than 2 months or you will make so little that all that stress is not worth the effort. if you don't get a result within 20 days dump it for the profit and start again.  

#17377 sequoia

sequoia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

One word, EMOTIONS.

We believe we need to be doing to be earning, our emotional biases and our fear and greed

#17378 sequoia

sequoia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

If you have bought last year June and sat through all the waves one could have literally made millions, she was on 33 000 and look where she is now!

But...I believe Elliott shows you exactly where you are (and you need to know) in the bullmarket cause come the top she will drop like a stone and catch most investors off guard...but you sure got the principle right and kudu's to you...simple actually with doing less but making more money! :D

For those who have not read Livingstone's book...see attached!

A

Yip, look at the quote on my signature. I just trade the tape   :)

Yes it will one day drop like a stone but I would rather give away some of a lot, than nothing of a little.

#17379 Wingnut

Wingnut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

If you have bought last year June and sat through all the waves one could have literally made millions, she was on 33 000 and look where she is now!

But...I believe Elliott shows you exactly where you are (and you need to know) in the bullmarket cause come the top she will drop like a stone and catch most investors off guard...but you sure got the principle right and kudu's to you...simple actually with doing less but making more money! :D

For those who have not read Livingstone's book...see attached!

A

#17380 grantmu

grantmu

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

4 of my 5 longs bought 'on the way down', closed at 46953 (IG Cash).

Average made per trade = 406.5 pips

Total banked = 1626 pips

Time period = 9 days

good one  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting