7058 replies to this topic

#4001 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

APN straight through R240 was expecting more of a fight..!

Got cash aside for this one, looks to be in freefall now, anyone of you techy's care to call the next buy level.

With all the M/A lately could prove guess work for now.

difficult to pick bottom in this climate on APN, as you said but i would imagine at 240< buyers will be interested.  would be interesting to see how much of the slide is directly attributable to foreign money offloading. feeling comfortable adding incrementally at these prices

imagine how many stops blown around that magical 240 support level..glad i wasn't one of them

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#4002 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

APN straight through R240 was expecting more of a fight..!

Got cash aside for this one, looks to be in freefall now, anyone of you techy's care to call the next buy level.

With all the M/A lately could prove guess work for now.

Anyone need a heads up...!

#4003 Rookie16

Rookie16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

See the mines are flirting with red. Could they give up some of yesterday's gains?

#4004 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

..there goes APN straight through support

#4005 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Well, it pushed African Bank below R11.  This is becoming quite the penny stock! :D

Collectively CML & PIC own over 35% of this pyramid scheme.

Not in anyway a prediction but I will buy if it hits R8 & forget about them. 10yrs timeframe.

Easy to take big chunks of other peoples hard earned & chance it, wait for the phrase deep-deep value investing. :rolleyes:

Edited by soutie, 30 January 2014 - 09:50 AM.

Anyone need a heads up...!

#4006 OceanWalz

OceanWalz

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • LocationJHB

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Well, it pushed African Bank below R11.  This is becoming quite the penny stock! :D

more than one big company, eg CML, has increased their stake in ABL - check out recent SENS - but I agree about neg view you have

- w rates up and consumer already against the ropes before the rates increase there are more petals this "rose" has to shed

#4007 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Well it's interesting to see that CPI did not have such a big drop in value like all the the big banks today. Would say that a .5% interest Increase would benefit secured loans.

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#4008 Bev

Bev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Those long retailers especially whl and shp never learn. Ive been screaming short but guys still going long. Much more pain still to come for all the longs. Check the banks. I also said after retailers banks will be the next best shorts and the slide on banks has started.

HDB, I was one of the many that did not take note.  Now give me some good news and tell me we will see some green so that I can dump... :o

Bev

#4009 alexander

alexander

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFourways

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

It is going to take real willpower not to think "sheesh, this is a bargain" during this whole "process". Especially now, things like SBK, FSR looks like real bargains. But the environment is changing as you pointed out, need to make the shift from "buy the dip" to "sell the rallies" and try not get caught pants down in the process.
Well it's interesting to see that CPI did not have such a big drop in value like all the the big banks today. Would say that a .5% interest Increase would benefit secured loans.

#4010 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

It is going to take real willpower not to think "sheesh, this is a bargain" during this whole "process". Especially now, things like SBK, FSR looks like real bargains. But the environment is changing as you pointed out, need to make the shift from "buy the dip" to "sell the rallies" and try not get caught pants down in the process.

#4011 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

Glad you got out. The trend has changed...for past 3 years you could close your eyes and buy the dips on these names but going forward it will be a case of sell the rally...

#4012 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Bad news for you...LHC foreign shareholding is at 66%. They are starting to dash for the exists and it ain't big enough. Expect the good SA Inc stocks to derate to 15 to 16x forward. You know the earnings so you can do the maths...

Luckily I also bailed a while ago... Jip, PEs ought to unwind with this sell off and possible increase in earnings.

#4013 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

Bad news for you...LHC foreign shareholding is at 66%. They are starting to dash for the exists and it ain't big enough. Expect the good SA Inc stocks to derate to 15 to 16x forward. You know the earnings so you can do the maths...

#4014 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Boet you can short and stay short the whole of SA Inc especially the stocks that foreigners loaded up on...nothing will be spared...take LHC and NPK for example.

Jis LHC got smacked properly.  Wasn't aware that there were that many foreign funds in LHC.

#4015 Zero Hedge

Zero Hedge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSome Island

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Boet you can short and stay short the whole of SA Inc especially the stocks that foreigners loaded up on...nothing will be spared...take LHC and NPK for example.

#4016 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Those long retailers especially whl and shp never learn. Ive been screaming short but guys still going long. Much more pain still to come for all the longs. Check the banks. I also said after retailers banks will be the next best shorts and the slide on banks has started.

Jip. You have been calling it all along! So glad I dumped my WHL at 68!

#4017 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#4018 skayfe

skayfe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hey all. I've followed this chat for a while, looking to be more actively involved and I hope I can add some value along the way.

I see the SARB upped the repo rate at 15:20 hence the massive slide, luck was on your side if you were already short this AM :)

#4019 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Probably wait till around 60 or lower, this enviorment gives you some shorts rather longs

I got a huge loss from this so called cheap WHL entry as well. Rather sell all and sit aside until Feb taper talk finishes

be careful with retailers they bound to be under selling pressure short term

#4020 chnkaw001

chnkaw001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGuernsey

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Jho!

This is a proper sale...got in a little too soon.  Adding a bit more now, but keeping reserves for tomorrow and Friday if FED drives it lower.

Good price to get back into WHL?

Probably wait till around 60 or lower, this enviorment gives you some shorts rather longs

I got a huge loss from this so called cheap WHL entry as well. Rather sell all and sit aside until Feb taper talk finishes

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting