561 replies to this topic

#181 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 13 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

Sorry. When I said taxes I didn't mean income tax.

I disagree with your fee analysis as taxes are nowhere close to what you say. Sharenet have not indicaed div as yet, however it is reflected on Investec's page for RES:

Interim  185.62   LDT:  20 Feb 2015   Date declared:  5 Feb 2015         Payment date:   2nd March 2015

Act"). The dividend on the shares will be deemed to be a dividend, for South African tax purposes, in terms of section 25BB of the Income Tax Act. The dividend received by or accrued to South African tax residents must be included in the gross income of such shareholders and will not be exempt from income tax (in terms of the exclusion to the general dividend exemption, contained in paragraph (aa) of section 10(1)(k)(i) of the Income Tax Act) because it is a dividend distributed by a REIT. This dividend is, however, exempt from dividend withholding tax in the hands of South African tax resident shareholders, provided that the South African resident shareholders provide the following forms to their Central Securities Depository Participant ("CSDP") or broker, as the case may be, in respect of uncertificated shares, or the company, in respect of certificated shares: a) a declaration that the dividend is exempt from dividends tax; and B) a written undertaking to inform the CSDP, broker or the company, as the case may be, should the circumstances affecting the exemption change or the beneficial owner cease to be the beneficial owner, both in the form prescribed by the Commissioner for the South African Revenue Service. Shareholders are advised to contact their CSDP, broker or the company, as the case may be, to arrange for the abovementioned documents to be submitted prior to payment of the dividend, if such documents have not already been submitted.

#182 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

Hey Bread,

You must be kicking yourself - ROC trading @ 2900 as we speak.

Cash - 100%

Bought ROC at 2418 on the 13th and sold at 2560 on the 28th.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#183 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:21 PM

Totally agree Flexbender which is why I keep two accounts, Investec makes research available which is skinny from Sharenet.

Investec contract note 2014-12-17:

Qty       Price         Total

350       114.33                 40,015.58  

Brokerage per scale             280.11

Strate settlement cost            10.92

Investor protection levy              .08

VAT                                        40.76

Securities tax                       100.04

Total                                40,447.49    

Which illustrates the difference in trading costs, which are considerable.                         

Which broker is best always an interesting debate.

Obviously everyone wants to be with the cheapest.

But there's also the service element that comes with it. Like the ease of platform usage, company information, company news, SENS, and then customer service, etc. The thing I find useful from PSG is the Research they offer. Daily reviews on any company that releases results as well as they give recommendations.

But geez PSG is expensive!

I recently sold ADI...

2015/02/10 S ADI -11299 1040 R 117 523.54 R-993.93 R 0.00 R 0.00 R-140.81 R-11.58 R-0.24 R-116 376.98

Brokerage of R1000 plus other costs totaling a further R150. And that's just for a sale. Purchases have a further 0.25% on it for SST.

Their brokerage alone is between 0.8 and 0.9 with a R98 min. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Basically to compare it to your example above, you'd pay more than double on PSG for a R33k purchase. - (R210 vs R435)

Anybody else at PSG?

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#184 flexbender

flexbender

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

This is a an example of Sharenet contract note on NEP purchase 2014-12-19:

Qty       Price       Total

287       114.32     302,89.84

Brokerage per scale 100.00

Strate settlement        10.92

Investor protection levy  .07

VAT                             15.54 

Secuties Tax                82.03

Total                     33,018.40      

Compare this to what you are paying ABSA (I hate all banks)

Which broker is best always an interesting debate.

Obviously everyone wants to be with the cheapest.

But there's also the service element that comes with it. Like the ease of platform usage, company information, company news, SENS, and then customer service, etc. The thing I find useful from PSG is the Research they offer. Daily reviews on any company that releases results as well as they give recommendations.

But geez PSG is expensive!

I recently sold ADI...

2015/02/10 S ADI -11299 1040 R 117 523.54 R-993.93 R 0.00 R 0.00 R-140.81 R-11.58 R-0.24 R-116 376.98

Brokerage of R1000 plus other costs totaling a further R150. And that's just for a sale. Purchases have a further 0.25% on it for SST.

Their brokerage alone is between 0.8 and 0.9 with a R98 min. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Basically to compare it to your example above, you'd pay more than double on PSG for a R33k purchase. - (R210 vs R435)

Anybody else at PSG?

#185 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:05 PM

Hi Sugafoot,

Give Charles a call.

Charles Collocott <charles@sharenet.co.za>

Oh bummer. :-( I think my last fnb trade was close to R200 in costs... How do I change over to Sharenet? Thinking of tax implications

#186 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

Oh bummer. :-( I think my last fnb trade was close to R200 in costs... How do I change over to Sharenet? Thinking of tax implications

#187 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

This is a an example of Sharenet contract note on NEP purchase 2014-12-19:

Qty       Price       Total

287       114.32     302,89.84

Brokerage per scale 100.00

Strate settlement        10.92

Investor protection levy  .07

VAT                             15.54 

Secuties Tax                82.03

Total                     33,018.40      

Compare this to what you are paying ABSA (I hate all banks)

When Sharenet came out with their new 0.3% commission I had a look at their cost structure and when all the other fees are added on they appear to be more expensive than Absa. There are no other fees with Absa other than their 0.4%. When I said 1.4% in and out I meant including normal taxes levied. So that would be commission of 0.4 plus taxes levied comes to about 0.7. In and out comes to about 1.4%.

Do you know when Sharenet update their divi info for all the individual shares?

#188 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

I disagree with your fee analysis as taxes are nowhere close to what you say. Sharenet have not indicaed div as yet, however it is reflected on Investec's page for RES:

Interim  185.62   LDT:  20 Feb 2015   Date declared:  5 Feb 2015         Payment date:   2nd March 2015

Act"). The dividend on the shares will be deemed to be a dividend, for South African tax purposes, in terms of section 25BB of the Income Tax Act. The dividend received by or accrued to South African tax residents must be included in the gross income of such shareholders and will not be exempt from income tax (in terms of the exclusion to the general dividend exemption, contained in paragraph (aa) of section 10(1)(k)(i) of the Income Tax Act) because it is a dividend distributed by a REIT. This dividend is, however, exempt from dividend withholding tax in the hands of South African tax resident shareholders, provided that the South African resident shareholders provide the following forms to their Central Securities Depository Participant ("CSDP") or broker, as the case may be, in respect of uncertificated shares, or the company, in respect of certificated shares: a) a declaration that the dividend is exempt from dividends tax; and B) a written undertaking to inform the CSDP, broker or the company, as the case may be, should the circumstances affecting the exemption change or the beneficial owner cease to be the beneficial owner, both in the form prescribed by the Commissioner for the South African Revenue Service. Shareholders are advised to contact their CSDP, broker or the company, as the case may be, to arrange for the abovementioned documents to be submitted prior to payment of the dividend, if such documents have not already been submitted.

When Sharenet came out with their new 0.3% commission I had a look at their cost structure and when all the other fees are added on they appear to be more expensive than Absa. There are no other fees with Absa other than their 0.4%. When I said 1.4% in and out I meant including normal taxes levied. So that would be commission of 0.4 plus taxes levied comes to about 0.7. In and out comes to about 1.4%.

#189 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

Bread Hi,

Unclear which subscription of Sharenet you have, I have a trading account with them which I know you do not have because you mention 1.4% trading fees, Sharenet take 0.3% each way with a minumum of 100-, so the optimum size of an order is 33k to obtain minimal fees, so 0.6 both ways plus the normal taxes levied.

The Sens info is listed under the share page info where it normally is.

#190 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Bread Hi,

Unclear which subscription of Sharenet you have, I have a trading account with them which I know you do not have because you mention 1.4% trading fees, Sharenet take 0.3% each way with a minumum of 100-, so the optimum size of an order is 33k to obtain minimal fees, so 0.6 both ways plus the normal taxes levied.

The Sens info is listed under the share page info where it normally is.

Thanks, Merlin.

But I already bought Resilient.

Where do you get your divi info from. I've subscribed to Sharenet so I get mine from there. Or do you only get dual listed divi info from Reuters?

#191 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:59 AM

Resilient - 100%

Bought at 9060.

#192 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:58 AM

Thanks, Merlin.

But I already bought Resilient.

Where do you get your divi info from. I've subscribed to Sharenet so I get mine from there. Or do you only get dual listed divi info from Reuters?

NEPI

SENS released indicating div to be at least 15% more than previous, Reuters article mentions 25.18% higher div.

http://www.reuters.c...tor/story01.htm

#193 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

NEPI

SENS released indicating div to be at least 15% more than previous, Reuters article mentions 25.18% higher div.

http://www.reuters.c...tor/story01.htm

#194 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

Yep.

I was actually thinking of buying Capprop but its actually gone down since announcing the divi. And I reckon Rockcastle will probably go up just as much as Resilient as soon as the their divi is announced which should be any day/week now. But I expect it to be around 49/50c whereas Resilient's is R1.86 I think. Not much to go on but I'm expecting to make up for it in the growth in the share price.

I'm hoping for 5% plus brokerage which amounts to 1.4% in and out, which makes up the 6.4%.

Bread,

Unclear where the 0.4% of the question comes from, the 6% is easy.

I would say Resilient shall produce the goods as it had a sharp increase of 3% on Friday whereas Rockcastle has had no recent remarkable increase for a change, funny enough Nepi had a similar 3% up kick on Friday which bodes well for both, Resilient due to some or other wierd pronouncement that the div is tax exempt with T+C, Nepi due to expected results to be released on Wednesday which are expected to be good.

Resilient is trading at it's 12 month high and Rockcastle just below it's 12 month high (but just by a ball h....), however Rockcastle's results are due out soon and they shall be outstanding of course - so may the best man win, you hold both so it matters not one way or another.

My ponies have increased by 26% in respect of Nepi since mid July 2014 and 40% by Rockcastle, so I am full of ear to ear smiles.

No plans to sell on the horizon for either - these are my long term holds.

#195 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

Bread,

Unclear where the 0.4% of the question comes from, the 6% is easy.

I would say Resilient shall produce the goods as it had a sharp increase of 3% on Friday whereas Rockcastle has had no recent remarkable increase for a change, funny enough Nepi had a similar 3% up kick on Friday which bodes well for both, Resilient due to some or other wierd pronouncement that the div is tax exempt with T+C, Nepi due to expected results to be released on Wednesday which are expected to be good.

Resilient is trading at it's 12 month high and Rockcastle just below it's 12 month high (but just by a ball h....), however Rockcastle's results are due out soon and they shall be outstanding of course - so may the best man win, you hold both so it matters not one way or another.

My ponies have increased by 26% in respect of Nepi since mid July 2014 and 40% by Rockcastle, so I am full of ear to ear smiles.

No plans to sell on the horizon for either - these are my long term holds.

Rockcastle or Resilient?

Which one is more likely to give me a 6.4% increase over the next 2-3 weeks?

#196 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Rockcastle or Resilient?

Which one is more likely to give me a 6.4% increase over the next 2-3 weeks?

#197 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

Cash - 100%

Merlin in 3...2....1

#198 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

Bread's crumbs...after SARS takes their bite

And the winner is-----------------------------SARS!!!

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#199 orca

orca

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Cash - 100%

And the winner is-----------------------------SARS!!!

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#200 flexbender

flexbender

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Cash - 100%

So in other words you are predicting a massive crash and do not see any value in a single share on the whole JSE and your money is just sitting in your trading account while not working for you at all and technically with inflation you are losing money every day...?

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting