Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Nice selection Stefan

#502 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

EEK. No CML!!! What's the matter with you?

That and ELI will haunt me in 12 months time, it is already since gamma mentioned it 8 months ago to me.. :(

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#503 Stefan

Stefan

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Actual Portfolio:

BAT (9.31%)

BTI (9.41)

CML (20%)

ELI (18.31%)

GND (10.8)

IVT (10.88%)
REM (10.97%)

SOL (9.39%)

CASH (1.03%)

#504 orca

orca

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

My watch-list growing faster than my actual portfolio :huh:

EEK. No CML!!! What's the matter with you?

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#505 Stefan

Stefan

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

My watch-list growing faster than my actual portfolio :huh:

Attached Files

#506 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

The problem is, of course, it that you are always buying at a high or close to a high - something I find very hard to do. But thankfully I joined this site and have seen the light on "momentum" investing - at least for some shares... :D

Cracking returns orca - I am sure i am also not the only one in wanting to know how the portugal plans are shaping up?

I must wait for CML to sort herself out first. Must wait for a new trendline after divi. Getting my passport with the divi money next month. My PP costs R4 000.00 with the cheap ZAR.

Edited by Orca, 21 May 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#507 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Orca, what does your INDI chart look like now? I'm playing with some chart tools and looking at Satrix INDI, I think my formulas are not quite right...

Sorry. Got it from a website and its gone now.

#508 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Eets not me. I am a dumbo with investing so I used a very simple method. A school ruler and this forum as I said above.

Some might remember this from years ago as my thread got ridiculed for over 100 pages.

Started off with loosing 45% of my pension savings in a managed account during the 2008/9 crash. Got myself hell bent on regaining it asap due to my age (55) so I went the "Past Performance" method and found CML. It had a smooth uptrend and non volatile. Put cash in but could not find any other stocks that had similar past performance and smooth uptrend charts.

I posted a thread and asked the guys here for similar stocks and got some good ones. Now I had to find the best of the 10 or so stocks given to me. This is when the school ruler came out.

Put all the stocks on a yearly chart and measured the dips with the ruler. Dumped the stocks with the biggest dips. Then looked at the performance over 1 year. Only 2 came out as tops and that was PNC and MTA. Did the fundamental thing and website checks.

So once again I must say that past performance is a good indicator of future performance. It works for me.

The problem is, of course, it that you are always buying at a high or close to a high - something I find very hard to do. But thankfully I joined this site and have seen the light on "momentum" investing - at least for some shares... :D

Cracking returns orca - I am sure i am also not the only one in wanting to know how the portugal plans are shaping up?

#509 ptomli

ptomli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Don't buy industrials yet.attachicon.gifIndi.jpg

Orca, what does your INDI chart look like now? I'm playing with some chart tools and looking at Satrix INDI, I think my formulas are not quite right...

Attached Files

#510 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Eets not me. I am a dumbo with investing so I used a very simple method. A school ruler and this forum as I said above.

Some might remember this from years ago as my thread got ridiculed for over 100 pages.

Started off with loosing 45% of my pension savings in a managed account during the 2008/9 crash. Got myself hell bent on regaining it asap due to my age (55) so I went the "Past Performance" method and found CML. It had a smooth uptrend and non volatile. Put cash in but could not find any other stocks that had similar past performance and smooth uptrend charts.

I posted a thread and asked the guys here for similar stocks and got some good ones. Now I had to find the best of the 10 or so stocks given to me. This is when the school ruler came out.

Put all the stocks on a yearly chart and measured the dips with the ruler. Dumped the stocks with the biggest dips. Then looked at the performance over 1 year. Only 2 came out as tops and that was PNC and MTA. Did the fundamental thing and website checks.

So once again I must say that past performance is a good indicator of future performance. It works for me.

#511 Fortuner

Fortuner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

cml-100%

#512 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

My portfolio over 3 years.attachicon.gifPort.jpg

that's one of the best portfolio's i've seen from a private person managing their own investments over a 3 year period..well done orca, phenomenal returns!!

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#513 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Updated portfolio:

DLT

VIF

VIFN

CMH

RDF

GRT

FPT

Yes, they are mostly property. But hey, its working  ;)

Edited by yusufm1, 20 May 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#514 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

nice, sure you wont regret increasing your holding.  expecting a slight dip after LDT(31/05/13) and then onwards to R70+  also planning to add more more on the next buy opp which will push CML up to 50% of my port. 

I did a great job of buying at todays peak!  :angry:

Oh well - will be very, very happy if it hits R80 - R90 at the end of the year.

#515 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

What portfolio management tool do you use Orca? My brick and mortar excel solution is getting a little messy.

Dunno what you actually mean Wes. The only tool I use is a ruler and this forum.

#516 wezzo

wezzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

What portfolio management tool do you use Orca? My brick and mortar excel solution is getting a little messy.

#517 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

My portfolio over 3 years.Attached File  Port.jpg   43.33KB   124 downloads

#518 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

nice, sure you wont regret increasing your holding.  expecting a slight dip after LDT(31/05/13) and then onwards to R70+  also planning to add more more on the next buy opp which will push CML up to 50% of my port. 

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#519 MrDividend

MrDividend

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Just added some more CML - got in before it hit R60 - which I am sure it will later on today! Now almost 16% of my portfolio.

#520 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Dumped my GLD holdings. Medium term sentiment doesn't look too good to me. Chances are gold will be testing $1000 the way its going.

Plus Roffey was on last night waxing about more gold upside.

So I have free cash...what to buy? any suggestions?

Well after much deliberation I split the proceeds from my GLD sale to add to my holdings of CGR and ELI.

CGR 1yr return has been 40%

PE 8

ROE ~30%

ELI 1 yr return has been 150%

PE 13

ROE 30%

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting